Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will not wear clothes!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi just wondering if anybody has any info on sensory processing disorder in children? I know it is quite common in children with autism however I am looking for any recommendations on getting a child assessed??

thanks.x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Based solely on the child not wanting to wear clothes? Might that be an over-reaction? Many children go through phases like that.

Might there be another cause? Hot weather? Change of washing powder? Trauma of being snagged in clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

all 3 of mine have went through that stage its just a phase !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How old is the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iwantopinion

Ok reading my last post I can see how I sound like I am overreacting.

However I do not think this is a phase, my daughter is 9 and this has been present for about the past 3-4 years, it is quite controlling and v sad to watch her frustration over how certain fabrics feel on her skin. Quick ex. was a recent episode that lasted for 4 hours over socks!

I was just looking for any other opinions or similar exp from parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Start by talking with her dr about it and bringing a long an item of clothing which she reacts badly to.

My son has certain clothes and fabrics he won't wear at all, some he will protest and then refuse, he hates the feel of jeans and prefers cords, osft brushed cotton or fleese clothes.
    Some other's he's not mad about but I found a conditioning wash tends to soften them enough. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what he will tolerate but I can usually tell by the feel of things in the shop well before we by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Victor wrote: »
    Based solely on the child not wanting to wear clothes? Might that be an over-reaction? Many children go through phases like that.

Might there be another cause? Hot weather? Change of washing powder? Trauma of being snagged in clothes?

No unforunately its not an over-reaction. A child with Sensory Processing Disorder has a brain which does not correctly process touch, sight, sound, etc and this creates multiple problems for them in daily life. Some children react by overstimulating their senses with everything they see, or by arm flapping, licking objects, head shaking, others dont like the feel of clothes on them so remove them, they might not like certain food textures so wont eat it or hot or cold food.

Its totally different for each child and very frustrating for the parents. I guess its difficult to imagine if you dont have a child with special needs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 3 hated wearing clothes, always stripped off (from ages 1.5 to 5, only started wearing clothes properly at 5 ) still have a 3.5 year old that strips off.

The eldest lady doesn't really like to wear jeans and prefers jog pants. My 5 year old wont wear socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iwantopinion

thanks, i have been doing alot of research into this on the web my daughteris in mainstream school and has never had any developmental problems so spd is all new to me?. I found the name of a good book that i am going to look for that explains it more to parents. i have tried sooooooo many different approaches i too can tell from the fabric in the shop wether she will wear them or not, but it is her fear over these things that really affect me and her. if she thinks about socks/trousers etc. before she goes to bed she will be in a panic and can be up for most of the night worrying about it. any efforts by me to reasure her do not work as she tells me 'i will never understand how important this is to her'.

Advertisement