Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my bay trees dying?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I have 2 bay trees, in pots, which are outside all year round. They got hit pretty bad by the frost last winter and aren't looking too good now.

The leaves on both have all gone completely brown, but there is a small bit of fresh growth on one. Also, the bark is splitting on both.

Is there anything I can do to save them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Lynfo,
    I have a bay outside in a pot and its just finished flowering, even with the bad weather it seems to have survived - I did have it in a very sheltered spot though. Bay are notorious for the unreliability of their hardyness (or so the RHS say!) Really though if the bark is splitting and looks like dry pith its probably dead, sorry!. You could however prune as hard as you can - you haven't a whole lot to lose really, then maybe repot, feed & mulch and hope of the best.

Here's an article i found on the internet:
    http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_bay_leaf_trees.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Thanks for the reply Hellsbells. I'm going to try the repotting route, I really want to save these guys.

I did hear of a sealant that might work for the split bark so I'll look into that.

Advertisement