Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bawnmore closure

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I was shocked and disgusted last week when I read about the imminent closure of Bawnmore respite care facility because of cutbacks. I work full time with people with disabilitys and they seem to be ,quite bizzarely, the most targetted group for cutbacks.
    This is an absolutely vital service for families badly in need of respite care who have to long term care for someone with an intellectual disability.

I am just wondering If there is any protest organised to condemn this closure, as I would really like to get involved and I believe that direct action is the only way we can stop these vital services from being taken away from us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are we talking about closure of units or the full complex, doubt very much that the cutbacks would be such that the Bawnmore would be required to close.

I agree with you on the cutbacks we are really hitting hard on the vunerable but then cutting in the health area will usually hit the vunerable, someone (HSE) really needs to take out a few few layers in the admin/mamangement side of the health system rahter than hitting the front line service delivery side of the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone without a loud enough voice will be silenced, those who cannot stand up for themselves in great enough numbers will be overlooked and those not strong enough to fight back will be mercilessly smothered.

- Bullies will always target the what the perceive to be the weakest in their midst and our Electorate does look in awe to our Bullies come Election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

phog wrote: »
    Are we talking about closure of units or the full complex, doubt very much that the cutbacks would be such that the Bawnmore would be required to close.

I agree with you on the cutbacks we are really hitting hard on the vunerable but then cutting in the health area will usually hit the vunerable, someone (HSE) really needs to take out a few few layers in the admin/mamangement side of the health system rahter than hitting the front line service delivery side of the health service.

I think its the respite care facility that is closing. There wasnt much in the LL about what is actually affected? Anyone know any info on the ins and out of the cutbacks on Bawnmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

From talking to a nurse in St. Camillus' Hospital, it would appear that the entire respite centre is to close, along with the small cottages/living areas, so many of the full time patients will simply be returned to their family homes.

Many of the patients are grown adults whose parents would be of retured age, so basically patients in need of full time care are being unceremoniously upon parents who would be too old to care for them in the proper manner. So the standard of living for both the patient and the adult will drop dramtically.

I emailed my disgust on the matter to a number of elected officials, including those who are part of the current government. Funny how the only ones who have been outspoken on the radio on the subject are not part of FF or the Greens.

Peter Power was met with after the protest last Friday, but he has learned well from Willie O' Dea (who was unavailable to meet anyone on the subject) and pretty much said that raising the massive figure required to keep the respite centre open would be difficult.

The massive figure needed to keep the facilty going?

€150,000. Yep one hundred and fifty thousand euro.

Even the timing of this proposed closure, with the Special Olympics being in Limerick, is disgusting.

Kess73 wrote: »

That's only about 3-4 months of the average Fianna Fail Politicians expense abuses.

I'd happily attend any Public Rally/Protest against this shameful attempt to attack such a vulnerable group within our Society.

- Its important to make noise about incidents such as these as they usually hope to target Groups they think can't fight back vocally to attract a lot of media attention etc.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    That's only about 3-4 months of the average Fianna Fail Politicians expense abuses.

I'd happily attend any Public Rally/Protest against this shameful attempt to attack such a vulnerable group within our Society.

- Its important to make noise about incidents such as these as they usually hope to target Groups they think can't fight back vocally to attract a lot of media attention etc.

There was a protest last Friday on Henry street, but there may be more if this disgusting closure goes ahead.

Funny how everytime Anglo Irish looks for an extra few billion, that was somehow not factored in the last time they went to the tax payer cap in hand, that it can be found, but hospitals, medical centres and respite centres can go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Kess73 wrote: »
    From talking to a nurse in St. Camillus' Hospital, it would appear that the entire respite centre is to close, along with the small cottages/living areas, so many of the full time patients will simply be returned to their family homes.

Many of the patients are grown adults whose parents would be of retured age, so basically patients in need of full time care are being unceremoniously upon parents who would be too old to care for them in the proper manner. So the standard of living for both the patient and the adult will drop dramtically.

I emailed my disgust on the matter to a number of elected officials, including those who are part of the current government. Funny how the only ones who have been outspoken on the radio on the subject are not part of FF or the Greens.

Peter Power was met with after the protest last Friday, but he has learned well from Willie O' Dea (who was unavailable to meet anyone on the subject) and pretty much said that raising the massive figure required to keep the respite centre open would be difficult.

Even the timing of this proposed closure, with the Special Olympics being in Limerick, is disgusting.

Only 150k that is disgusting the can bail banks out for millions but cant find 150k to keep this important facility going

campo wrote: »
    Only 150k that is disgusting the can bail banks out for billions but cant find 150k to keep this important facility going

Changed your quote to be more accurate in what this government can raise and hand out when it serves their agenda.

would some kind of fundraiser help here I know it would be very difficult to raise 150k but maybe if half was raised the govt might cough up the other half I be up for helping in anyway that I could

would some kind of fundraiser help here I know it would be very difficult to raise 150k but maybe if half was raised the govt might cough up the other half I be up for helping in anyway that I could

I would imagine that is what the government wants, so that they don't have to do anything for the affected people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The JP McManus Golf event will raise millions in the next few weeks, all which goes to charities in the mid-west. I'm sure if a well structured proposal was put to the organisers of this then some level of funding could be got.

But then again we shouldn't be relying on charity golf events to provide essential services to the most vulnerable in society.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The JP McManus Golf event will raise millions in the next few weeks, all which goes to charities in the mid-west. I'm sure if a well structured proposal was put to the organisers of this then some level of funding could be got.

But then again we shouldn't be relying on charity golf events to provide essential services to the most vulnerable in society.

No we should'nt but it is eitheir that or watch the place close down does anyone have a email address for JP or the golf event maybe a nice structured mail giving the plight of bawnmore might help.

Also when the election comes around I would strongly suggest people get out there and vote and get rid of this so called govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

From 2008

http://www.limerickindependent.com/local-news/local-news/desperation-stakes-for-bawnmore/

This is a wonderful resource to have in the area, and it will be a disgrace if it closes. I am really surprised, by the lack of publicity for the closure

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Over the last month Bawnmore purchased a house in caherdavin and is now being used by some of the lads who lived in bawnmore.Where did the money come from?

Well Limerick may well have the next Minister for Finance in Monaleens own Kieran O'Donnell (Not that I've ever heard of him) - Currently he is Fine Gaels Spokesperson on Finance.

- Furthermore those hoping for this Bawnmore decision to be reversed might take comfort in the below from his (updated once a decade it seems) blurb page here.
    A vigorous advocate on behalf of the disabled, Kieran has campaigned to secure funding for the unoccupied residential units at St. Vincent’s Lisnagry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well Limerick may well have the next Minister for Finance in Monaleens own Kieran O'Donnell (Not that I've ever heard of him) - Currently he is Fine Gaels Spokesperson on Finance.

- Furthermore those hoping for this Bawnmore decision to be reversed might take comfort in the below from his (updated once a decade it seems) blurb page here.

I wouldn't exactly be overly confident considering the guy can't even spell his own address ?
    Home Address:
    8 Milltown Manor,
    Monaleen,
    Castleroy,
    Co Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 owen south

panda100 wrote: »
    I was shocked and disgusted last week when I read about the imminent closure of Bawnmore respite care facility because of cutbacks. I work full time with people with disabilitys and they seem to be ,quite bizzarely, the most targetted group for cutbacks.
    This is an absolutely vital service for families badly in need of respite care who have to long term care for someone with an intellectual disability.

I am just wondering If there is any protest organised to condemn this closure, as I would really like to get involved and I believe that direct action is the only way we can stop these vital services from being taken away from us.
    yes there will be a protest soon..we are waiting for a response from the hse as regards the cutbacks..we will know early next week..if the response dose not reverse the cutbacks action and protesing will take place all help would be grateful..thank you

SORRY NO MORE TALK REVERSE CUTBACKS TO BROTHERS OF CHARITY NO MORE TALKING FROM ANY POLITICAL PARTY

YES A MAJOR PROTEST IS PLANNED NEXT WEEK WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

THAT HOUSE WAS PURCHASE A LONG TIME AGO>>LETS GET FACTS RIGHT BEFORE MAKING GENERAL STATEMENTS>>>>>>

• Advertisement
Advertisement