Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florence Marathon...November 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

altercor wrote: »
    Any idea what kind of energy drinks if any are en-route??

Is that not what girlfriends and wives are for? - To stand shivering at a remote spot exactly 8.725954 miles from the start of a marathon furiously waving a bottle of Lucozade sport with two gels stuck to it???? I joke but that is what I do. Sometimes its not easy to get to the correct spot on the course but she always does the business. It takes a weight of your mind to know exactly what you'll take on board and when.

Apart from the hotel I'm all booked. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

3 stars (average)
    Nope..No medical yet. Still havent officially entered! Must go about doing that I reckon!:o

Did a tough 17mile yesterday using the method of accellerating to race pace for the final 5-7 miles. Great idea...Sore today though! Step back week this week... mmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

3 stars (average)
    altercor wrote: »
    Nope..No medical yet. Still havent officially entered! Must go about doing that I reckon!:o

Did a tough 17mile yesterday using the method of accellerating to race pace for the final 5-7 miles. Great idea...Sore today though! Step back week this week... mmmm...

yes, an entry would be good.

I did a very similar run yesterday - 2hr's with 30' warm up, 60' steady-fast and 30' at threshold. it hurtses. I'm on a step back week this week as well, but pacing 90' at the cliffs of moher half marathon on saturday which should be fun.

3 stars (average)
    dermCu wrote: »
    Is that not what girlfriends and wives are for? - To stand shivering at a remote spot exactly 8.725954 miles from the start of a marathon furiously waving a bottle of Lucozade sport with two gels stuck to it???? I joke but that is what I do. Sometimes its not easy to get to the correct spot on the course but she always does the business. It takes a weight of your mind to know exactly what you'll take on board and when.

Apart from the hotel I'm all booked. Looking forward to it.

I did that last year, but we forgot to agree which side of the road. By the time I saw her it was too late - i didn't want to lose momentum by stopping and crossing the road - it was one of a number of gel fails in that race. :(

3 stars (average)
    asimonov wrote: »
    I did that last year, but we forgot to agree which side of the road. By the time I saw her it was too late - i didn't want to lose momentum by stopping and crossing the road - it was one of a number of gel fails in that race. :(

I'm flying solo for the marathon! First time ever doing it solo without my girlfriend to stuff me with jelly beans and sympathetic looks! Hence my enquiries about the race energy supplements..

Threshold is the fancy word for this marathon.. Been focusing on heart rates and zones a lot and it's really reaping rewards. My cruising pace is getting a whole lot faster. It's nice to feel some progression, no?

Best of luck with The Cliffs race. I'd be very interested in hearing about that one. I'd say it'd be epic! MUst pencil it in to next years plans.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Entered! Im race number 2639! Now I gotta find a doctor crooked enough to call me healthy! :D

3 stars (average)
    Accommodation booked at last - we're staying in the same guest house as last year - its called ill villino. We only have to do the doctor thing and then that's all the red tape taken care of.

How's training going altecor? 8 weeks from this Sunday....

I'm on the search for a 10mile / Half Marathon in November but there appears to be very little on after the DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

4 stars (good)
    HOw LATE do you need. NOt sure when the Kinnnity Castle half marathon is on , but I think its November

3 stars (average)
    HOw LATE do you need. NOt sure when the Kinnnity Castle half marathon is on , but I think its November

Thanks HTT - ideally 4 weeks out from the marathon - so around the first week of november. i'll check that out now. Are you still contemplating florence or is it off the list?

4 stars (good)
    Still thinking about it. I want to attend a headache course and if I get on it , I doubt I will get away for an extra weekend. Still keeping an eye on flights etc. I think It would be a lovely one to do and as I have decided to go to Venice with my mate, I would definitley need another one before December as there is no guarantee I will make it past 25 miles there, and I need a decent finishing time .

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Thanks HTT - ideally 4 weeks out from the marathon - so around the first week of november. i'll check that out now. Are you still contemplating florence or is it off the list?

mmm. that's on the 27th of november so a tad too close - but thanks anyway!...funnily on the kinnity half marathon website here - its says that timing is going to be "chip and pin" :)

3 stars (average)
    Still thinking about it. I want to attend a headache course and if I get on it , I doubt I will get away for an extra weekend. Still keeping an eye on flights etc. I think It would be a lovely one to do and as I have decided to go to Venice with my mate, I would definitley need another one before December as there is no guarantee I will make it past 25 miles there, and I need a decent finishing time .

Is it the bridge that's the problem in venice? The big bridge that connects it to the mainland or the pontoon they use especially for the marathon?

4 stars (good)
    The pontoon thingy. I am about 70% better than years ago and I am pretty sure I will get across the big one from the mainland, probably crying and snivelling but I feel sick in my stomach and feel like chucking, not to mention galloping heart rate every time I even think of the other thing.
    Are there any significant bridges in Florence? Havent checked the route yet. Its usually the deciding factor :o

3 stars (average)
    The pontoon thingy. I am about 70% better than years ago and I am pretty sure I will get across the big one from the mainland, probably crying and snivelling but I feel sick in my stomach and feel like chucking, not to mention galloping heart rate every time I even think of the other thing.
    Are there any significant bridges in Florence? Havent checked the route yet. Its usually the deciding factor :o

There are two small bridges..nothing to be concerned about, they looked solid enough :)

4 stars (good)
    Run the Gauntlet is definitley on November 21st. Is that too close also? Its basically a hilly half marathon in Kerry. Irishfit run it.

3 stars (average)
    Run the Gauntlet is definitley on November 21st. Is that too close also? Its basically a hilly half marathon in Kerry. Irishfit run it.

yeah, I think its a bit close - ideally it would 4 or even 5 weeks out (same weekend as dublin / venice). Its the price you pay for doing a late november marathon. I hope you get to enjoy venice (or florence) - they'd both be good events.

4 stars (good)
    Ah I see. I thought you were doing Dublin and were looking for a half in between.

4 stars (good)
    Decision made:D. Im definitley going to tackle this one.

Going to get flights and bookings in the morning. I reckon about 7 weeks of training left and if I make a real effort and keep at the recent excursion in to hills and speedwork I might be able to knock out a faster time than the usual.
    Question is now... what way to approach Athlone 3/4 on Sunday? Do I give it a lash for the sub 4 group and see how I manage it and also to see how long I can hang on or just do it as a slow run and go hard at the training next week instead. Or maybe both ;).
    Just have to organise 2.5 days off work. Bummer .

3 stars (average)
    Hey Asimonov! Thats great to hear that you are sorted except for the doc. Must get on to booking accomodation soon. training is going well, until yesterday afternoon. I did my first 20 (of 3) yesterday morning with a tad bit of a sore throat. I told myself to stop making excuses and get out and do it. So, I did it and really enjoyed it. However a few hours later I was totally zonked with fluey symptoms. Freaking out that i'll miss crucial days at this important stage. I have a lot of mileage done but I really wanted to target the next three-four weeks to get my speed up.

All I can do is rest! Bugger...

We'll also have to post what singlet/tshirt we'll be running in on the day so we can shout some encouragement should we come across one of the posters here..

4 stars (good)
    You having a wardrobe moment already?
    :D
    I was going to wear my little irish tricolour singlet but the tops we got in the athlone 3/4 today are so nice I might wear that.
    Must book accommodation myself this week. I presume anywhere central is ok?

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Very funny!! Nope..It's unlike me to be having wardrobe moments. I just got my first club singlet though so i'll be wearing that! Phew...Good save!

How did you get on in the 3/4? Jaysus, they're really covering every fraction of the marathon these days, aren't they?

What time are ya hoping for in Florence?

3 stars (average)
    Altecor - just take it easy for a few days and you'll be grand. Might do you no harm - better it happens now than in 8 weeks eh!

I haven't got to the detail of what i'll be wearing but I did pick up two new pairs of trainers on saturday from amphibian king - i've switched to mizuno wave riders for general training and I got a pair of replacement brooks st4s for the marathon itself.

I had a good weekend of training as well - did a solid longish tempo on Friday and a good long run this morning with the last 9 miles at marathon pace.

In terms of accommodation i'd say there is loads of choice. We are probably on the same flight so we should get to say hello before hand.

3 stars (average)
    Altecor - just take it easy for a few days and you'll be grand. Might do you no harm - better it happens now than in 8 weeks eh!

Ah the voice of reason, my friend! The very same voice that said don't do the 20 miler..Rest!! Think I'll wait to see how I am tomorrow and make a call then on how long to give it.

I got my new DS Trainers in the post on Thurs..Liked my last pair so much I just went for same again. Great general training shoe but I used them in both marathons this year too. Very comfy altogether..Don't think my shins are quite ready for racers yet..Soon though..

Ya, looks like that flight will be full of runners that weekend. It'll be a funny sight on the return flight too.. Everyone boarding the plane walking backwards and looking very sorry for themselves..Bring it on!!

4 stars (good)
    Altercor..how are your mucous membranes today? HOpe all is settling well and you are getting closer to lacing up your new runners.

Athlone went well yesterday. Well organised and great craic. Did 3.01. If I had looked at my watch and seen the time I probably could have made up for the quick loo stop and got inside the 3. But am happy with that.
    Venice will be a survival marathon and will probably run/walk it with my mate so Florence is the new target. Going to work my ass off for a sub 4 . It has to happen that weekend:D. Unfortunately im not a super speedy hare like you guys. But if it werent for us down the back , ye woudnt look so impressive up the front. ;)

I found that the two or three weeks of hill training has paid off already. I didnt find Athlone bad with the undulations! Just need to get the mileage up and maybe incorporate some hill repeats into my longer middle of the week runs.
    Is there a specific medical form that we have to send off?

3 stars (average)
    Altercor..how are your mucous membranes today? HOpe all is settling well and you are getting closer to lacing up your new runners.

Athlone went well yesterday. Well organised and great craic. Did 3.01. If I had looked at my watch and seen the time I probably could have made up for the quick loo stop and got inside the 3. But am happy with that.
    Venice will be a survival marathon and will probably run/walk it with my mate so Florence is the new target. Going to work my ass off for a sub 4 . It has to happen that weekend:D. Unfortunately im not a super speedy hare like you guys. But if it werent for us down the back , ye woudnt look so impressive up the front. ;)

I found that the two or three weeks of hill training has paid off already. I didnt find Athlone bad with the undulations! Just need to get the mileage up and maybe incorporate some hill repeats into my longer middle of the week runs.
    Is there a specific medical form that we have to send off?

You can download the medical form here

3 stars (average)
    Hot to Trot! My mucous membranes are back to normal now, I think! Did my first session since saturday last night and it wasnt easy. Seem to have lost my stride. That's ok, I'll get it back.

Well done on Athlone. With another 8 weeks work on top of that and you'll get under the four hour mark! Since Florence is flat I've been doing more flat repeats (800s, 1000s, miles) to tweak up my speed with a hill session every two weeks. I find that with just the hill training I'd feel strong but not as fast! Maybe that'll tip the balance and you'll unlock speed you never knew you had :)

Jeez You're doing Venice aswell??!! fair play! We might as weell go to these nice places since we train so hard!

Cross Country county champs this weekend..Though Im looking forward to it, I have to miss a long run..grrrr..Still, one decent 20 mile in the bank since last week.

Happy Training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

3 stars (average)
    I have signed up as well. Hope to finish in around 3:05 territory.

3 stars (average)
    mithril wrote: »
    I have signed up as well. Hope to finish in around 3:05 territory.

nice one mithril - good luck with your training.

I just noticed on the website that you need either a medical cert or to be a member of a national federation affiliated with IAAF. If you are a member of an AAI athletics club - the AAI card should be good enough. I'm going to send mine in and see.

4 stars (good)
    I reckon Mithril will be first to the bar with pace like that;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

3 stars (average)
    I reckon Mithril will be first to the bar with pace like that;)

I reckon Asimonov will have his first pint drank before I even get there.

Advertisement