Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos of people you find attractive

• 13-06-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Evening Boardsies,

I'm looking for photos of people you find attractive for an art piece. Not celebrities, just everyday folk. It can be a partner or just someone you spotted on the street, it doesn't matter.

It would help immensely if you could write a line or two about what you find physically attractive about them in particular. I want to get at least 100 images, half male, half female. The images will be collated into a magazine-style booklet.

Neither subjects nor contributors will be named, natch. It's not the best way to reveal a secret crush.

I'll post this in art too, any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Are you prepared to offer payment for the photos? and if not are you offering to ackowledge the photographer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

small problem with that is model release forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

PCPhoto wrote: »
    small problem with that is model release forms.

As far as I remember you don't need them for an art piece, for some specific definition of the word 'art'.

Im not sure but I dont think a "magazine-style booklet" qualifies as "art"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Im not sure but I dont think a "magazine-style booklet" qualifies as "art"

Have to agree with that. A model release would most certainly be needed for this type of publication.

Should this not be in the "Services Required" thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Apres Moi

The specific artistic merit of the photograph itself isn't really relevant to the concept (though obviously is preferable). I will happily give the photographer credit if they wish.

I can't offer money, due to being painfully broke. Don't go into art, kids, there's no cash in it.

The piece is partly a meditation on the nature of culturally agreed notions of beauty which have little relevance to real world attractions, this thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566846 being an excellent case in point.

Model release forms will not be necessary as far as I'm aware as it's not a commercial endeavor.

why dont you just go out and photograph 100 people who you think are "attractive" ..... wouldnt take long if you positioned yourself on Grafton Street or stephens green direction...or walk around Trinners (TCD).

this would give you a consistant style of photograph instead of a mixture of pics (from full length to tight head shots)

The "magazine-style" aspect is because the concept relates back to a point Naomi Wolf brings up in the Beauty Myth about magazines misleading women as to what is desirable in a culture where men and women seldom have to opportunity to discuss what is genuinely attractive in the opposite sex.

And, yes, it does get to qualify as art, it's more than just paintings these days.

I did consider that, Pcphoto, but then you only get my perspective on what qualifies as attractive, but really it's a very personal and idiosyncratic thing. The photos would be consistent, but it wouldn't be a very interesting range and would be just as biased as any women's magazine's idea of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

are you planning to make money from this magazine booklet?

• Advertisement

No more so than with any other art piece. As in it would be for exhibition, not for commercial sale. If there's funding I'll print it on a run for people to take for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Apres Moi wrote: »
    I'll post this in art too, any help appreciated!

Posting the same post in several fora on this site is considered a) bad netiquette and b) spam.

I'm locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement