Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores - Ennis - No Bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Hi - This is the OP here.

Firstly - Thanks for all the replies. I never posted up here looking for or expecting sympathy. I did start thinking last night that maybe I over reacted and I posted here to see what people thought. It was interesting to see the variety of opinions. From people thinking I acted like a spoilt child to others thinking I didn't go far enough and should have handed my groceries back and demanded a refund.

Just to clarify a few things though....

1) Some peole said it was my own fault because I didn't have a bag with me.
    I disagree. Not everyone who comes shopping will have a bag for a variety of reasons. The reason I didn't have a bag yesterday was because it was a kind of an off the cuff shoping trip. We were on our way to go visiting and as we were early, decided to swing into Dunnes to pick up a box of chocs and bunch of flowers. And as we wandered around we ended up picking up a few random bits we needed and ended up buying much more than we had planned.

2) A few more people commented that I should have taken the "Bag for life" or reusable bag.
    I would have been happy to take one of these and my wife actually asked for one, but they were not available. The only options they they had available were a big awkard Foil cooler bag for a Euro or a bag of swing bin liners. I had no use whatsoever for either. The Cooler bag is a big awkard yoke and those swing bin liner bags are bloody useless. I'd always buy the heavy duty bags for the bin.

3) A few more people commented that I should not have been picking on the poor cashier as they are on crap wages etc.

It was not the cashier that I had the discussion with. When the cashier told us we couldn't have a bag I let it go and I walked away. But I saw a manager standing beside the next till and I asked her about it. It was the manager that I then had the discussion with then.

4) A few people commented that Paper bags were no good for groceries

Two things on this. Firstly, if the manager said to me, "I am very sorry, we can't give out those paper bags for groceries because they are just not suitable"... I think I would have accepthed it. But instead it was just, you can't have one and I don't have to give you a reason. Secondly, the few bits I had had yesterday, it would have been fine. It was mostly sweets, nappies, some breakfast cereals, biscuts... no cans, bottles, jars. Awkard to carry, but nothing that was likely to burst a bag.

5) The "Grabbing" of the bag.

I know it is difficult to imagine, but me reaching to take a bag myself really sounds much worse than it was. I didn't reach over a counter and grab them. They were just on a hanger right beside me. I just reached out to take one. At the same time I did, the manager went to take one too. To be fair to her, I think she was just going to get me one. When we both went at the same time, we ended up dropping it on the ground. She then picked it up and handed it to me.

To people who say, I over-reacted, I would have to admit I probably did in certain ways.

The one thing that I did that I would have to say there was no need for was dropping the bag on the ground that she gave me and walking away. (Just for the record, I didn't throw it away. I just took my box of krispies out of it and let it fall on the ground.) But at that stage I'd won the battle and I should have just taken the bag and walked away.

But 2 things just really annoyed/shocked me about the whole thing.

I was shocked at the appaling way Dunnes Staff are ordered to treat their customers. It doesn't matter that you are out of, all types of plastic bags, it doesn't matter how much someone has spent, just do NOT give them a paper bag. Of course, the bag did belong to Dunnes and I did not have a divine right to have it, but for freg sake.... was I asking too much...? I know for a fact, if I spent €50 in my local Centra, the owner would make sure I had a box or a bag or whatever I needed.

I was annoyed at the manager. I very politly and calmly asked her for a paper bag, but from the very outset she treated me like I was being unreasonable in what I asked for. I was never agressive (and neither was she to be fair) but she was extremely condesending and I felt went out of her way to be rude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

For the love of god what's wrong with a trolly! :D

On a serious note, the OP shouldn't be expected to bring a bag with him. If they are out of bags and he asks a manager, they should provide some way to assit. Get a floor staff to get a box? Get a trolly? w/e not like there's no floor staff around.

The op did overreact by dropping the bag at the end but he knows this.

EDIT* A cooler bag is **** if you want to put some big bulk items in. Personally if the manager was that rude I'd get the gf to go get a trolly and I'd stand in the way like a petulant child til she came back so I could load at my leisure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

@BnB - You're right to be annoyed.

Why couldn't any of the Dunnes staff just give you a paper bag?

I can't understand why they made such a big deal about the paper bags being for drapery only.

It seems to me that Dunnes have policies for everything other than ensuring that the shopping experience is a pleasant one for their customers.

OP back here again.

I just wanted to check back in to give credit where it is due.

I sent an e-mail to Dunnes Stores Customer Service on Sunday night about what happened.

Just now, I got a phone call from some chap in Dunnes (a regional manager or something like that). Firstly he apoligised to me for not getting back to me yesterday but he was off.

He then went on to apoligise about what happened on Sunday. He explained what happened with them running out of bags due to some order not arriving on time. He said that paper bags are just for the drapery only and the staff on the floor would be trainined in that way but that on Sunday they should have made a call on it since no other bag was available.

All in all, he couldn't have been nicer. He was very apoligetic. But more importantly, I thought he was very sincere and he really restored my faith in Dunnes. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

I had the same thing, I went in to dunnes to buy tin foil and cooked meat, less than a fiver. realised forgot to take one of my many heavy duty bag for life things, I asked for a plastic bag and got the same "we're out of them" and "you can't have a paper bag". The only reason I went into dunnes is that it would be cheaper than going to centra. Not that much of a saving when I forked out another euro. TBH if they just put up a sign informing people about the dispute rather than lying and telling people they have just run out i would have no problem.

I know they're not Irish but going to tesco is way better, anytime its busy they have they have someone walking the tills telling people where the q is smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If they wouldnt have given me a bag i would have tried to stack everything up in my hands of course a jar would slip and fall and break id ask the girl to go get me another one to replace it and when she returned to put it on the top of my pile. Of course it would slip off again and would need to be repeated over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If they wouldnt have given me a bag i would have tried to stack everything up in my hands of course a jar would slip and fall and break id ask the girl to go get me another one to replace it and when she returned to put it on the top of my pile. Of course it would slip off again and would need to be repeated over and over again.

Do you think they are obliged to replace your property due to your "carelessness"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

When in Tesco yesterday I confirmed their bag for life is priced at 35c, Dunnes have the cheek to charge 70c for the same thing! Now yes they are of course entitled to do this, but at nearly a euro a bag, some people would rather have a standard 22c plastic bag and dunnes don't provide these, I would also do a good bit of shopping after I've been out in college, at work, or returning from my parents house, and will stop off shopping when its convenient, so the you should bring your own bag arguement isnt really a option here unless I was to add onto my journey by going home, or carrying a bag for life around with me at all times, I suppose this could be done :rolleyes:, At least Tesco have the 22c ones these days

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

BnB wrote: »
    4) A few people commented that Paper bags were no good for groceries

Two things on this. Firstly, if the manager said to me, "I am very sorry, we can't give out those paper bags for groceries because they are just not suitable"... I think I would have accepthed it. But instead it was just, you can't have one and I don't have to give you a reason.

Yes, and she was dead right. Those bags are the store's property, they don't have to give reasons for why they won't give one to you. Have any of your children ever asked for something and you told them "No" without giving them a reason?

I am amazed that you are capable of organising 3 children for a day out but are not capable of organising some bags to bring with you before you go shopping.
    I am even more amazed that one of those children would probably have had less of a tantrum than you did- maybe let them deal with this stuff in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Magenta wrote: »
    Yes, and she was dead right. Those bags are the store's property, they don't have to give reasons for why they won't give one to you. Have any of your children ever asked for something and you told them "No" without giving them a reason?

I am amazed that you are capable of organising 3 children for a day out but are not capable of organising some bags to bring with you before you go shopping.
    I am even more amazed that one of those children would probably have had less of a tantrum than you did- maybe let them deal with this stuff in future.

I hope in your work you don't deal with the public and if you do please let me know where so I can get my 10 ft pole with "avoid" written on it out of the shed.

• Advertisement

cc wrote: »
    I hope in your work you don't deal with the public and if you do please let me know where so I can get my 10 ft pole with "avoid" written on it out of the shed.

Ha ha ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It is sooooo typical of them to operate stupid policies and who has to deal with the fallout..staff. Often with no signs or anything. 'Sorry we can't do exchanges here anymore' RAGE 'Sorry I can't take your clubcard number off a receipt' RAGE (Lots of people had to sign a form for that, which left them open to warnings/dismissal if not fully adhered to). I HATE being on the frontline of it, I don't work in grocery and can only imagine they're getting the heads eaten off them.

RE: The manager. She is also completely limited by head office policy. Centra's are franchised, they can do what they want. Dunnes cannot, what head office says is the law and everything has to be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I just spent €50 on a few groceries and you won't give me a bag for them.

What else do you expect for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

To be treated as a valued customer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The op was willing to pay for a standard plastic bag which most shops give out free but collect a levy of 22c. thats all the op was looking for.
    Most decent shops have this facility you have the option of bringing your own bag but shops that care about their customers give them a basic service and a bag is one of those.

Dunnes are in dispute with the revenue with regards the bag levy, and instead of being honest they hide behind the mistruth that they are "out" of bags.

If they are not going to provide this service then at least be up front about it like the discounters are, in this instance the easiest thing for the manager to do was to give the op a paper bag with the cavaet that they are not designed for groceries and if it bursts then its his problem.

dunnes made a minor problem into a mountain imo.

You're completely missing the point. Of course the paper bag belonged to Dunnes and of course it was their right to do whatever they want with it. I certainly do not have any kind of a legal right to anything in Dunnes.

It is about Customer Service. I was a customer after spending money. They had no €0.22 cent bags available. They had no bags for life available. All they had were cooler bags and bin bags. I asked very reasonably for a paper bag to carry my shoping out as nothing else suitable was available and was turned down without a reason.

Are you telling me that you never went into a shop without a bag. Where did you get the bags in the first place...? Did you make them yourself ?
    ?

I expected nothing for free.

I would have paid 22c for a bag if they had one
    I would have paid 75c (or whatever it is) for a reusable bay if they had one.

I did not want a roll of scuttery waferthin pedal bin bags or a big awkard Cooler bag. Neither of them would ever have been any use to me again.

You're completely missing the point. Of course the paper bag belonged to Dunnes and of course it was their right to do whatever they want with it. I certainly do not have any kind of a legal right to anything in Dunnes.

Didn't stop you from trying to help yourself to it anyway.
    It is about Customer Service.

Customer Service yes, getting in trouble because of a customer's tantrums, no. It has been well documented on this forum about how strict Dunnes are with their staff.
    Are you telling me that you never went into a shop without a bag. Where did you get the bags in the first place...? Did you make them yourself ?

No, I am clever enough to have always had the habit of keeping bags around the house. They come in handy sometimes, like when I want to carry something.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I work for Dunnes and had the privilege/misfortune to work on the checkouts for a year. We don't give out drapery bags for regular groceries because a) they're not suitable for holding groceries, if there's something damp in the bag (milk, raw meat, frozen goods) then the bag has a fair chance of tearing. Then stuff breaks and as Dunnes company policy is to immediately replace broken goods free of charge then our overheads go through the roof

and b) every cheapskate on the planet asks for a paper bag so they can get out of paying 22c.

Though I get that there were none available the next bag is only 37c. Unless they were out of those too, then you're looking at paying a euro+. If that's the case then hell I'm on the OP's side!!

Customer Service yes, getting in trouble because of a customer's tantrums, no. It has been well documented on this forum about how strict Dunnes are with their staff.

No, I am clever enough to have always had the habit of keeping bags around the house. They come in handy sometimes, like when I want to carry something.

Look Magenta...

Let me put it straight to you. Do you think I was unreasonable in requesting a paper bag ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You were being unreasonable in trying to reach behind the counter and grab one. Reaching behind the counter for anything is probably enough grounds for security to kick you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Fair play OP. People don't complain enough in this country

Look Magenta...

Let me put it straight to you. Do you think I was unreasonable in requesting a paper bag ?

You didn't just request one (which would have been reasonable), you tried to take it yourself after being told you couldn't have one. Spoilt child behaviour.
    Kahless wrote: »
    You were being unreasonable in trying to reach behind the counter and grab one. Reaching behind the counter for anything is probably enough grounds for security to kick you out.

^^^This pretty much sums it up.

Though I get that there were none available the next bag is only 37c. Unless they were out of those too, then you're looking at paying a euro+. If that's the case then hell I'm on the OP's side!!

Well you're on my side then as that was the case.

But, I have to say again, in case it was lost in the last few pages.

I sent an e-mail to Dunnes about what happened and a Regional Manager rang me back to apoligise. He was extremely nice about it and explained the situation and he completely restored my faith in Dunnes. In fact, the fact that he took the time to ring me turned what was a negative thing into a very positive thing as it made me feel that they do want my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Look Magenta...

No this wasn't unresonable, when you were told no though you could have told them you want your money back on your products or you could have made a complaint or even did both with a mention that you'd be emailing head office about it. What you shouldn't have done though is to just attempt to take one anyway even though you've been told no.

I asked this earlier and you didn't answer, I know you have alot of people asking you stuff so I won't take it personally. You said you have kids, I'm sure they sometimes think your being as unfair to them as you felt Dunnes were to you, if they reacted in the same way you did by just grabbing what you told them they couldn't have how would you react to that?

You didn't just request one (which would have been reasonable), you tried to take it yourself after being told you couldn't have one. Spoilt child behaviour.

No. Go back to my question...

Was I being unreasonable in requesting a bag ?

(Which I did long before it escalated to me picking up one myself.)

Nolimits wrote: »
    I asked this earlier and you didn't answer, I know you have alot of people asking you stuff so I won't take it personally. You said you have kids, I'm sure they sometimes think your being as unfair to them as you felt Dunnes were to you, if they reacted in the same way you did by just grabbing what you told them they couldn't have how would you react to that?

To answer your question straight, if I told my kids No, and they went ahead and did something, Yes of course I would get cross with them.

But I don't that that is a fair analagy. A Parent - Child relationship is very different from a Customer - Manager relationship.

For example, if I was at work and my boss told me I had to do something, I would do it. Wheather I like it or not, he's the boss. If I was walking down the road and a Garda asked me to stop up because he wanted to ask me something, I would stop up.

But in this situation, I was a paying customer. While it was probably wrong to just pick up the bag myself, I certainly don't think it was wrong to argue my case with her.

I didn't go looking for a battle. I am one of the most unconfrontational people you could meet. But I picked up the bag in the end out of pure frustration. The thought did enter my mind to give the groceries back and look for money back, but I didn't want the hassle. I just wanted to get a freggin bag to put my groceries in so I could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

OP overreacted.

I would have bought the refuse bags, always gonna need them.

No. Go back to my question...

No. Go back to my post...
    And read the part in brackets.

• Advertisement

A Parent - Child relationship is very different from a Customer - Manager relationship.

What about situations where the customer acts like a child?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement