Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores - Ennis - No Bags

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I laugh when at a checkout in Dunnes these days.

Clerk - "Sorry we've just run out of bags but you can buy a re-usable bag"

Me - "When will the dispute end with the revenue over the bag levy end so you can stop 'suddenly running out of bags' and then you can order more in?"

Clerk - "Erm"

Me - "Tis ok just joking, I know it's the pricks in head office"

Pack my things in my trolly and off I go.

I never really liked shopping in Dunnes, I only go the odd time cos the gf picks up 1 or 2 things that are cheaper there than elsewhere, but lately it's worse than ever with every single till operator suddenly running out of bags like it just happened. At least Dunnes can stick a sign up on the way in saying they don't stock cheapo plastic bags and only 1 euro reusable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

JDxtra wrote: »
    This is getting annoying. I was in Dunnes in St. Stephens Green today – which is more like a place for convenience purchases than your weekly shop. I picked up something for lunch and a few other items on the spur while I was there. It was not pre-planned visit so I did not have a shopping list, re-usable bags, a coin for the trolley etc.

They then claimed they had no more plastic bags at the tills. They would not give me a paper bag - even though I only had 5 small items and a paper bag would have been sufficiently strong to hold them. I was offered a re-usable bag for €1. I have plenty of them at home, so decided to struggle with the shopping instead.

Dunnes would want to sort this out soon. This dispute they have with Revenue and their stubbornness is now affecting customers and front line staff. Convenience shoppers I guess will vote with their feet and shop elsewhere…

Well they DON'T have any of the cheapo plastic bags at their tills- they're not lying. It is not their choice to not give you a paper bag- checkouts in most Dunnes don't have them- and definitely don't in Stephens's Green. You'd have to go to a drapery tillbank. I agree that they should sort it out soon and stop treating customers and staff like crap though, I can imagine the amount of angry customers they are facing is insane with those crappy options they actually have for customers- buy a new bag for 70cent or..carry them. It is so typical of Dunnes to land staff with very customer- unfriendly policies, it's not just this bag issue, new policies about cheques, clubcards, exchanges..no signs or anything usually, just let the staff get eaten alive by customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

just let the staff get eaten alive by customers.

I feel for you, being in the firing line. I used to work behind a bar, and people would give me stick about the prices, like I had suddenly decided what they should be charged. This was even worse when they were drunk.

Guy was on Joe D last week giving out about prices. He went to the till in some café and didn't like the price he was charged for a scone and soup, or something. By the sounds of what he was saying he let rip into the poor till girl. "Well, I hope you give me a fiver back in change from that!" etc until she did. Joe just agreed that it was expensive. People like this need to work with the public for a few weeks in their lives just so they can see how much of a prick they are being.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I don't get this, I just keep a load of bags in the boot of the car.

I make a real effort not to get any as i don't want to have anymore damn plastic bags at home.

And i'm pretty sure everyone knows about it now so they'll either avoid Dunnes for unexpected shops or go elsewhere.

I do remember before the bag levy that Dunnes was getting more advertising from bags blowing around on the streets and in fields than they were on TV .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Let's be positive
    It's nice to see Dunnes taking such a pro-environment stance in not providing disposable plastic bags for their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

djdunny wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago when I used to work in Dunnes I had a bit of a similar incident. I was working on a busy Friday night on the express checkout and some Spanish students purchased some items but then realised that they would need a bag. they grabbed the bag but i tried to explain to them that the cost 22c. they looked at me completely blank and didn't understand a word i was saying. so after much time trying to explain to them and a lot of tutting from the queuing customers i just gave them the bag.

So on comes the next lady who say " i supposed ill be getting a free bag as well", i replied "no, they're 22c" so on it went she basically accusing me of discrimination and all that. went up and complained me to my manager and also made a follow up phone call AND letter. also did the usual threat of going on Joe Duffy.

So a few days later i get called up to the managers office where im greeted by the HR manager and the store manager and they proceed to grill me over my actions. Their main concern was that i gave out a free bag and not so much about the irate customer.

I ended up getting a warning for that.

i don't believe that for a second.

Kahless wrote: »
    Do you think they are obliged to replace your property due to your "carelessness"?

:confused::confused:.....if you drop it because you've no option of a bag,

then yes!

Magenta wrote: »
    What about situations where the customer acts like a child?

customer is king.

end of.

service in this country is a disgrace,from garages to Supermarkets,to cafe's

esp during the boom-

customers were overcharged and undervalued.

well the tide has turned.

in the OP's Case i would've asked for a refund and shopped elsewhere.

failing that, request that a member of staf help with the groceries to the car.

i can't believe the amount of pro"dunnes employees" on this thread.

if they're such a sh1tty outfit to work for-why didn't you leave when the times weregood:confused::confused:.,

it really,really really pays to shop around.

Kahless wrote: »
    Why are people finding it hard to understand that these bags are not suitable for groceries? I've seen so many of these tearing apart when people stuff groceries into them.

thats not the point:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

thebullkf wrote: »
    :confused::confused:.....if you drop it because you've no option of a bag,

then yes!
    They're under no obligation to give you a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

customer is king.

end of.

You know what's really stupid? People who come out with statements like that.
    Customers can be wrong too. Acting like children, thinking there's a special offer on when there isn't... I've had security throw out customers before for harassing me, I suppose the customer is always right then too?

Nolimits wrote: »
    They're under no obligation to give you a bag.

then how do you get your messages to your car-bearing in mind the (already stated) security tags on the baskets.?

btw we've gone through the 'bring your own bag' scenario as its just not viable all the time.

Magenta wrote: »
    You know what's really stupid? People who come out with statements like that.
    Customers can be wrong too. Acting like children, thinking there's a special offer on when there isn't... I've had security throw out customers before for harassing me, I suppose the customer is always right then too?

So now you're saying i'm stupid--i'd like an apology please.:mad:

i never mentioned special offers:confused:

i never mentioned 'harassing you':confused:

WTF are you ****ing on about?--just because you've had poor customer experience doesn't mean ALL customers are like that.

no wonder people 'harassed' you, judging by your attitude when on a public forum-

i've spent 15 years working in the customer service industry,multi-disciplined, from Banks ->Boarding Houses

and i must say i find your posts immature and insulting.-

i'd hate to deal with you in person.

i'd like an apology please.

thanks

customer is king. end of. service in this country is a disgrace,from garages to Supermarkets,to cafe's
    just because you've had poor customer experience doesn't mean ALL customers are like that.

I think you should take your own advice.

eightyfish wrote: »
    I think you should take your own advice.

meaning:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

meaning that just cos u experienced some bad custoemr service doesn't mean it's all **** and a disgrace across the nation, like you were pointing out about the guy dealing with bad customers

meaning:confused:

Meaning just because you've had poor customer service experiences doesn't mean all service staff are like that.

Customers can be ****. Staff can be ****. Customer is not always king.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

then how do you get your messages to your car-bearing in mind the (already stated) security tags on the baskets.?

btw we've gone through the 'bring your own bag' scenario as its just not viable all the time.

Trolley.
    Coin in - get trolley.
    Bring shopping to car.
    Bring trolley back - get coin back.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

eightyfish wrote: »
    Meaning just because you've had poor customer service experiences doesn't mean all service staff are like that.

Customers can be ****. Staff can be ****. Customer is not always king.
    #

You're dead right.
    And some people on forums can be **** as well.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Closing this till forum mod takes a look. Seriously people, cop on with all the name calling and other crap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement