Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C4: 100 Greatest Moments of the World Cup

• 13-06-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Just watching 100 Greatest Moments in the World Cup on Channel 4 and some fella claimed we have a statue of Jack Charlton holding a fishing rod in Cork Airport...thats not Jack Charlton, thats Christy Ring holding a hurley, rofl. What a spanner. Otherwise, anyone else watching?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How can a man being killed be named as a "Greatest World Cup Moment"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Christy Ring >>>>>>> Jack Charlton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

since its an english programme I'd say geoff hurst will be up there and bobby moore lifting the Jules Rimet etc etc will be number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

bad2dabone wrote: »
    since its an english programme I'd say geoff hurst will be up there and bobby moore lifting the Jules Rimet etc etc will be number 1

That'd be sad beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

and if it was an irish programme?

• Advertisement

RichTea wrote: »
    That'd be sad beyond belief.

Remember they were voting on greatest English sporting moment and a campaign was set up here to vote the Maradona handball as greatest moment :eek::eek:

Graham Taylor to the linesman " Your colleague has just lost me my job" :D

Actually if memory serves me correct, its Maradonas solo goal against England

Rooney and Ronaldo :D:D

OPENROAD wrote: »
    and if it was an irish programme?

well it would have sheedy's goal vs england, bonners save, keanes equaliser vs germany, ray houghtons goal vs italy, etc.

But i see your point, and I say touche to you sir !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dean820 wrote: »
    Just watching 100 Greatest Moments in the World Cup on Channel 4 and some fella claimed we have a statue of Jack Charlton holding a fishing rod in Cork Airport...thats not Jack Charlton, thats Christy Ring holding a hurley, rofl. What a spanner. Otherwise, anyone else watching?

Not watching, Did they show the wrong statue? Or are you saying no such statue exists?

Here is the statue in Cork airport they are invariably talking about anyway.

000044878AB0.C0A801C2.000043B9.0003.jpg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Absolute Thread FAIL

Here is said statue in the old Cork airport, same one which held the Christy Ring statue. Honestly, it wasn't hard to see, it was right in the main area, by the big ass fish pond.

000044878AB0.C0A801C2.000043B9.0003.jpg

I knew there was something fishy about the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

flahavaj wrote: »
    I knew there was something fishy about the OP.

I editing mine there since i'm not watching to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe they talked about one statue and showed the other, though the line "and some fella claimed we have a statue of Jack Charlton holding a fishing rod in Cork Airport" does make me think the OP was simply unaware that statue is indeed in place in the old building in Cork Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Well, I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. I always thought there was that one Christie Ring statue, I've never seen the old Jack Charlton one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hope this was near the top

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I editing mine there since i'm not watching to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe they talked about one statue and showed the other, though the line "and some fella claimed we have a statue of Jack Charlton holding a fishing rod in Cork Airport" does make me think the OP was simply unaware that statue is indeed in place in the old building in Cork Airport

I only posted for the sake of the lamentably poor pun which deserves more praise than it has gotten tbh.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I hope this was near the top

It was eighty-something I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Remember they were voting on greatest English sporting moment and a campaign was set up here to vote the Maradona handball as greatest moment :eek::eek:

That's even sadder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Dean820 wrote: »
    It was eighty-something I think.

For shame

ah John Barnes :D:p

• Advertisement

get in Archie Gemmil!

Minstrel, they completely downplayed it as well...saying Serbia just let them walk past them.

That was some tackle from Moore.

That was some tackle from Moore.

it was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I have such a man-crush on Beckham.:o

baz2009 wrote: »
    I have such a man-crush on Beckham.:o

:eek:

Met him once back in 1996, really was a top bloke.

It should be "Most Memorable Moments." Theres nothing great about missed penalties, people sitting on each other etc.

ah Dave O'Leary, where has he been hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

ireland beating italy in 1994 and absolutely no mention of paul mcgrath....

• Advertisement

Irish moment in the top 10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Dennis again :D.

Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Ronaldo's glorious comeback was pitifully low. It hopefully will be remembered as one of the great World Cup stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Ronaldo's glorious comeback was pitifully low. It hopefully will be remembered as one of the great World Cup stories.
    Yeah I agree.

Advertisement