Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Candle Making

• 13-06-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I haven't been able to find any other threads on this subject but apologies if this has been covered somewhere else! I've been toying with candle making over the past few days and I've really been enjoying it. So far I've been learning how to do it from various websites and through trial and error. I have mastered a basic small candle out of paraffin wax, now I want to get a little more creative!

I would love to hear if anyone here has experience with making homemade candles, especially advice on how to colour and add scent to the candle. You would be surprised with how hard it is to find reliable info online! Most websites just say to add 'dye' to the candle, what does this mean? I don't know wheter this means food colouring or clothes dye or can either of these be used. I made one coloured candle so far by dropping a crayon into the mix.

Also I read on a website that you shouldn't use essential oils as a fragrance as it doesn't burn well or mix with the wax. What do you suggest I use for fragrance? I know there is special 'candle fragrance' you can buy but I'm hoping there is something a little more 'home made' if that makes any sense. Something that I will have in my home already.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't know much about candle making but I know they use a thing called 'lye' - could that be it?

I borrowed a candle making book from the library and it gives lots of info. However as I didn't have the time I didn't really get into it and I returned the book. If you don't get anymore answers, try your local library, or check out YouTube but you may have done that already.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Truley wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find any other threads on this subject but apologies if this has been covered somewhere else! I've been toying with candle making over the past few days and I've really been enjoying it. So far I've been learning how to do it from various websites and through trial and error. I have mastered a basic small candle out of paraffin wax, now I want to get a little more creative!

I would love to hear if anyone here has experience with making homemade candles, especially advice on how to colour and add scent to the candle. You would be surprised with how hard it is to find reliable info online! Most websites just say to add 'dye' to the candle, what does this mean? I don't know wheter this means food colouring or clothes dye or can either of these be used. I made one coloured candle so far by dropping a crayon into the mix.

Also I read on a website that you shouldn't use essential oils as a fragrance as it doesn't burn well or mix with the wax. What do you suggest I use for fragrance? I know there is special 'candle fragrance' you can buy but I'm hoping there is something a little more 'home made' if that makes any sense. Something that I will have in my home already.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

have you tried natural bees wax this smells nice on its own.
    you can get this in dodds of mary st dublin.

I believe Dodds closed down many years ago! I don't often go to town so correct me if I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

crayons will dye your candle wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jojoba

I have never heard of lye being used in candle making. It is used in soap making though.
    Check out www.soapmakingforum.com
    There a section about candle making on it. It might give you some answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Hiya,
    I haven't tried candle-making myself but just got an email today from Cregal Arts in Galway about their new catalogue. http://www.cregalart.ie

They sell candle wax, moulds etc. They also sell candle perfume - musk, patchouli, cedar and lilac. So it looks like you can add essential oils to candles.

They also sell candle dyes - 1 disc dyes 2kg of wax. The dye is probably added when you're melting the wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

I got a starter kit from Art & Hobby in the Jervis Centre, I have been using crayons from the €2 shop and for sented candles i have been using sented oil from the body shop.

You said you have mastered the basics, I am still having problems with wax collapsing in the center when cooling, do you have this problem or am i using the wrong wax? im wondering if i use soy wax would that be better.

Have just found this site in the sates
    http://www.spiritcrafts.net/camasu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    I got a starter kit from Art & Hobby in the Jervis Centre, I have been using crayons from the €2 shop and for sented candles i have been using sented oil from the body shop.

You said you have mastered the basics, I am still having problems with wax collapsing in the center when cooling, do you have this problem or am i using the wrong wax? im wondering if i use soy wax would that be better.

Have just found this site in the sates
    http://www.spiritcrafts.net/camasu.html

Hi

The candle collapsing in the centre is normal. Wax shrinks as it sets and tends to pull away from the wick so you will have to top up with more wax - maybe a couple of times if the candle is very wide.

You should be able to use any oil-based fragrance but just a couple of drops (depending on the quantity of wax) because too much fragrance will affect the wax.

Crayons are okay for colour but very hard so don't always dissolve uniformly and some of them aren't entirely wax-based. But if you have wax ones, you could try grating them into the melting wax to get a more even colour.

Here's an easy candle for beginners:
    Use an empty Pringles packet as a mould (preferably the full-size one, not the mini version). Put a dinner candle (skinny/taper candle) in it (a dark-coloured one is best). Fill up the packet with small ice cubes, making sure to keep the dinner candle centred. Now pour white melted wax into the packet, going round and round the centre candle evenly. Fill right up to the top. Wait a few hours (or overnight) and tear off the Pringles packet - hold it over a sink or basin to catch all the melted ice. You should now be left with a large white candle filled with holes, giving a lace effect. When you light it, the dark candle in the middle gives a soft hint of colour to the white outer wax.

Hi

Here's an easy candle for beginners:
    Use an empty Pringles packet as a mould (preferably the full-size one, not the mini version). Put a dinner candle (skinny/taper candle) in it (a dark-coloured one is best). Fill up the packet with small ice cubes, making sure to keep the dinner candle centred. Now pour white melted wax into the packet, going round and round the centre candle evenly. Fill right up to the top. Wait a few hours (or overnight) and tear off the Pringles packet - hold it over a sink or basin to catch all the melted ice. You should now be left with a large white candle filled with holes, giving a lace effect. When you light it, the dark candle in the middle gives a soft hint of colour to the white outer wax.

Sounds lovely - have you any photos of the finished article?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Just went to take a pic for you and can't find any finished candles - I was sure I had one or two lying around.
    Never mind, I'm halfway through a Pringles pack at the mo' so I'll keep munching! :D

I'll take step-by-step photos.

• Advertisement

Just went to take a pic for you and can't find any finished candles - I was sure I had one or two lying around.
    Never mind, I'm halfway through a Pringles pack at the mo' so I'll keep munching! :D

I'll take step-by-step photos.

Munch-by-munch!! Lol!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaluza

See attached pic.

I have made these before and they are very easy and look great. I used a milk carton to make square ones

They're great Kaluza! Like Swiss cheese!! Very cleverly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaluza

They're great Kaluza! Like Swiss cheese!! Very cleverly done.

Just want to point out that the pic isn't what I made!:D

I got it off t'internet for display purposes only!

but they do turn out very good especially when done with just a hint of colour - then they really do look like ice candles:D

Kaluza wrote: »
    Just want to point out that the pic isn't what I made!:D

I got it off t'internet for display purposes only!

but they do turn out very good especially when done with just a hint of colour - then they really do look like ice candles:D

Very honest of you! Still, they look fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

that icecandle is a great idea. Will deffo have to try that out. On another note anyone know any good online stores for candlemaking supplies? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seacreature

Hi Folks

Just to say I have a medium sized bag of used candles that I would like to give to anyone interested in using them. I am in the Sligo area. I would be delighted to get a 'home' for them.

Ta Seacreature

Advertisement