Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muzzle brake

Options
  • 13-06-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

how much do muzzle brakes reduce recoil?

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tommyboy26 wrote: »

tommy

A lot ;)

I have a 20" barrel with a 2" break .308. I would not like to fire it without it :)

Breaks or moderators absorb a lot of recoil and muzzle jump

A lot ;)

I have a 20" barrel with a 2" break .308. I would not like to fire it without it :)

i appreciate it s on an evil rifle, but you should get the point

If you are shooting target or have a short barrel & a large calibre they do take some of the sting out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i have a .308 and cant gettin use to recoil. can they be bought anywhere and do you need to change licence for it?

tommy

i have a .308 and cant gettin use to recoil. can they be bought anywhere and do you need to change licence for it?

tommy

most dealer sell them No licence change for break, Yes change need for moderator

I know a guy who can make custom breaks to suit your barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

MPO (My Personal Opinion)................

Muzzle brakes have there uses in large caliber rifles (.338 and above or rifles producing simular recoil) or in a firearm that requires faster follow up shots than a standard model (ie if the firearm doesnt come with a model with a brake)

For me personally I wouldnt have a break on anythin smaller then .338 unless I needed it for above mentionen activity.

How effectve are they ...Well the bigger the caliber generally the better the brake .... ie a Barret M82A1 feels less felt recoil than a 12G shotgun (again though.... thats my opinion)

but there are companies claming massive (up to 50% on .223) reductions out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 blaserlrs2

Muzzle brakes have there purposes on larger calibers , ie .308 and up, But on the smaller calibers the just increase noise , The recoil on the smaller caliber are minimal ,
    So real point ,
    Getting back to your question , On larder calibers they are claiming up to 50% recoil reduction ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Coupla things about muzzle BRAKES -

1. You cannot fit a moderator AND a muzzle brake at the same time - it is one or the other.

2. If you go in for any kind of 'lined-up style' target shooting they are extremely unfriendly to be near - the muzzle blast comes out sideways and backwards.

And like the man said, the bigger the calibre, the more effective the muzzle brake is.

Any competent gunsmith can fit one - think around eu100-150 in the RoI.

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

tommy

I think a mod may be better suited to you. You need to get a permit.
    Not a big deal, state reasons is to reduce noise pollution as mod will only baffle sound like a car mod/muffler. It will not eliminate noise ie:Whip craic effect as bullet still breaks sound barrier.

the break 0n my rifle is a factory break pointing vertically upwards.
    Breaks that let gas out in all directions tend to blow dust all around the place.

A mod would seem to be your best bet. IMHO ASE Ultra is the best, but there are cheaper ones available. It will also eliminate the need for hearing protection in the field IMHO

Most RFD's sell Mod's. Some custom rifle builders can make them in Ireland too :D

Muzzle brakes do not blow the gas out in all directions - they are axial deflectors and usually work by directing some of the propellant gas slightly to the rear to counteract the recoil - this is how they work.

I agree that ASE are the mid-leg articulations of the common apis - most of those in our club seem to be made by them.

The design and manufacture of a moderator is a long and complex issue, and I personally would leave it to the big boys to come up with the goods rather than rely on a 'one-off', however skilled the local gunsmith might be.

As for custom rifle builders in the RoI, we were discussing this very subject yesterday at the range. Anybody like to enlighten us on that subject? Note that I do not mean assemblers of other manufacturers' components - I mean custom rifle builders, as from scratch, building their own action and barrels.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Muzzle brakes do not blow the gas out in all directions - they are axial deflectors and usually work by directing some of the propellant gas slightly to the rear to counteract the recoil - this is how they work.

I agree that ASE are the mid-leg articulations of the common apis - most of those in our club seem to be made by them.

The design and manufacture of a moderator is a long and complex issue, and I personally would leave it to the big boys to come up with the goods rather than rely on a 'one-off', however skilled the local gunsmith might be.

As for custom rifle builders in the RoI, we were discussing this very subject yesterday at the range. Anybody like to enlighten us on that subject? Note that I do not mean assemblers of other manufacturers' components - I mean custom rifle builders, as from scratch, building their own action and barrels.

tac

No barrel builder as yet AFAIK Economy of scale and all that.
    There are 2 I know of, 1 in the midlands 1 in the south east.

They 1 I am familiar with is researching building there own action at present.
    For the most part Actions are supplied , barrels Kreiger or trueflite are the most common, and through the use of EDM, Mills and lathes a myriad of breaks and suppressors have been made, so too with tactical bolt knobs, and one off mounting arrangements.

I appreciate that breaks can cause issue as in a dusty environment they can rise dust, if that is in a uniform or angled form is not the issue, the issue is it can tee off shooters on the left of right of shooter.(if I made an erroneous statement the main point was not)

AFAIK in some climates military have removed breaks as they give away the position, slightly off thread.
    back on thread, In ROI T8's are common and ASE suppressors

In ROI one needs to get a permit to use one. They are restricted on centre fire so a cover letter with application is required to explain need.

eg. shooting on land near valuable horses, or not wanting to disturb piece shooting a lot of rounds with a loud report

• Advertisement

Here in UK they are also a separate entry on the firearm certificate.

I don't have a moderator on any of my guns - most of them are not only old-fashioned in one way or another, but would look really ridiculous with one on them. Can you imagine putting a moderator on a 58cal Black powder carbine :=)

My seven .22s are all used for target shooting would also look ridiculous, as well as detracting from the value if screw-cut for a moderator.

My Krico 650SS has a G3-style flash-hider on it, put there by its former owners, GSG9. Again, since i have no horses to frighten, one is not needed.

Over in the USA none of my rifles or carbines have a moderator, especially at a cost of $200 per item!! A Garand, Dragunov or SKS would look pretty stupid with one, IMO.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[pedant]
    Brake
    [/pedant]

Carry on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Nah, you got to man up and never mind your suppresors and muzzle breaks and all that stuff designed to make shooting more pleasent. What you need is a LOUDENER!:pac:

This is a thing by the way, I'm not messing it can be got!

normaldegroatflashenhan.jpg

http://www.armamentsales.com/enhancers.htm

BANG *starts bog fire*

Serious reply, If I were you I'd get a mod, all the benefits of a muzzle break with the bonus of reducing the chances of deafening yourself if you forget hearing protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

A lot ;)

not according to Remington . you have a 22" barrel as your brake is fixed .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Is that your barrel jwshooter?

I like the way its been ported.

jwshooter wrote: »
    not according to Remington . you have a 22" barrel as your brake is fixed .

Yes brake is fixed, the rifling is 20" the break is 2 " = 22"

So we won't be splitting hairs :D

The point being it is very short but does not hop as a short barrel normal would without

Yes brake is fixed, the rifling is 20" the break is 2 " = 22"

So we won't be splitting hairs :D

The point being it is very short but does not hop as a short barrel normal would without

not splitting hairs tac you have a 22" barrel .

Is that your barrel jwshooter?

I like the way its been ported.

yes it was made for me by the guy that re barreled my rifle .

the design is spiraled with equal holes all round ,recoil comes straight back you do not loose sight picture at all .i can say there is little to no recoil from my 270.

i got it proffed with the barrel .

jwshooter wrote: »
    not splitting tac hairs you have a 22" barrel .

To me the barrel is the rifled bit , but I'll agree with you this time 22" barrel!
    Although it said 20" barrel 2 " break on box it came in
    I was told at the time it was for marketing purposes as some states had rules on min length.

I have seen several breaks in McBrides glass case in Athlone, polished stainless mostly.

I fired a short barrel before without one and I did not like the jump.

The OP said he did not like recoil of .308, I hardly notice recoil in comparison to some other sporting rifles I have fired.

tommy

you never said what rifle u use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Over in the USA none of my rifles or carbines have a moderator, especially at a cost of $200 per item!! A Garand, Dragunov or SKS would look pretty stupid with one, IMO.

Thats just the TRANSFER TAX for the Feds:).A Silencer in the US depending on and for what caliber can range from 500 Dollars for a good.22 to 2000 plus for somthing that will hold together under a full auto test.You are getting into rich mans toys there in the US with those sort of things.

Actually,Dragunov and SKS had in Sov times silencers made for them.They werent very effective though.More to cruddy designs than anything else.
    But didnt really detract fro m the looks of the Dragunov,as it was pretty slimline,just made the gun more awkward.

Not really anymore.The principles of Maxims design with baffles havent changed all that much in the last 100 years.It is either expansion chamber/sound deading material/baffles with either "wet or "dry" capability of the can or combos thereof [BTW a Wet can is one that can accept a liquid to muffle the report even further.]
    all the big companies are really doing are bettering the mouse trap,with new alloys,steels ,sound deadning materials, and weird and wonderful cans for the weird and wonderful guns out there.

There are plenty of plans out there for exellent cans that have proven themselves over the years in combat &hunting,that any machinist who can read a plan,and knows what he is about could put together in a machine shop for you..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tommy
    i have a .308 and cant gettin use to recoil.

Just throwing this out there. Not sure of the finer points, but most if not all F-Class shooting is done without a muzzle break. They are not allowed.

I only mention it as you have posted a few threads in regards to getting into target shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there. Not sure of the finer points, but most if not all F-Class shooting is done without a muzzle break. They are not allowed.

I only mention it as you have posted a few threads in regards to getting into target shooting.

Why is that Ezri? As I never did F-Class I'm not familiar with it.
    I'd like to go down that road so i'm interested in learning

Why is that Ezri? As I never did F-Class I'm not familiar with it.
    I'd like to go down that road so i'm interested in learning

No point in baffling you with bulls**t. I don't know the rules. I have been told by those shooting longer than me that muzzle breaks are against the rules. Might have something to do with "proper" shooting. You know, the shooter, the rifle, the target. No advantages to one above the other. Take my rifle. It is not threaded for a break or mod and i wouldn't bother with one. Other lads with other rifles that are threaded for a break/mod has less recoil and better battery and possibly follow through, giving him an advantage over me/other shooters.

I suppose its trying to keep the sport "pure".

Also on a side note i think they can be used in competitions in some countries (don't quote me on this) like England, but most do not allow their use.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the rules can elaborate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    I'm sure someone more familiar with the rules can elaborate.

How many at a good guess shoots in a comp? How long does a comp take?

Ooops, this is off thread.:D

Have you used a mod/break on a rifle bigger than .224 and if you did you find it any good?

I know exhaust gases are very important in how the round leaves the barrel similar to exhaust in a car combustion situation

How many at a good guess shoots in a comp? How long does a comp take?

At the Nationals a few weeks ago there was upwards of 50 shooters if i remember correctly. There can be 16 individuals shooters (as in 1 per target) or you can double up and shoot string with 2 per board. You have 2 sighters and 15 score shots. More detailed rules but thats the quick summary.
    Have you used a mod/break on a rifle bigger than .224 and if you did you find it any good?

Yes, on a TRG22 in .308 cal. The recoil was reduced, but honestly i did not/do not find the recoil of a .308 so unbearable that a muzzle break would be a necessity or even a requirement. I used it only once or twice and that was at 100yds to see the effect. There is a difference in point of impact with the muzzle break on, much like a moderator. Cannot remember the specifics (as in higher or lower), but was nothing to wirte home about.
    Ooops, this is off thread.:D

Yes, apologies for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Just checked this one:

Rules F2.12 & F2.13 of the International Confederation of Fullbore Rifle Associations (ICFRA), of which both the UK NRA and our own NRAI are full members, specifically prohibits the use of muzzle compensators, brakes, and moderators, in both F/TR and F-Open classes.

I'd guessed this is because, according to the Rule Book, "no competitor may use equipment or shooting methods that provide them with an unfair
    advantage or put any other competitor at an unfair disadvantage" and I'd guess a muzzle brake comes under that catch-all.

It also unfair and unsporting, and frankly a major pain-in-the-hole, to be shooting a competition in close-proximity to a neighbour using a muzzle brake, due to the side-wash. For the same reason, many ranges either discourage or actually prohibit their use, both here and abroad.

i have a .308 and cant gettin use to recoil.

Come now, the recoil on a .308 is not that bad!;)
    It is something that must be gotten used to, IMvHO - But that could be me just being too purist about it!:D Using a brake is kinda fooling yourself and allowing you to develop bad habits which are hard to get rid of!
    on a TRG22 in .308 cal. The recoil was reduced,

It is reduced, but not by much TBH. The muzzle-jump is reduced considerably. But if .308 recoil is worrying the O/P, adding a muzzle-brake will only help slightly, and will lead to "bad habits" (if I can phrase it that way, but you know what i mean, hopefully).

And a muzzle brake on a .308 does not reduce the felt or percieved recoil to such an extent (again IMvHO) that you won't still be flinching or anticipating the kick. It really only stops the muzzle-jump and only slightly reduces recoil. Or at least that's what I've found.

dCorbus wrote: »
    Just checked this one:

Rules F2.12 & F2.13 of the International Confederation of Fullbore Rifle Associations (ICFRA), of which both the UK NRA and our own NRAI are full members, specifically prohibits the use of muzzle compensators, brakes, and moderators, in both F/TR and F-Open classes.

I'd guessed this is because, according to the Rule Book, "no competitor may use equipment or shooting methods that provide them with an unfair
    advantage or put any other competitor at an unfair disadvantage" and I'd guess a muzzle brake comes under that catch-all.

It also unfair and unsporting, and frankly a major pain-in-the-hole, to be shooting a competition in close-proximity to a neighbour using a muzzle brake, due to the side-wash. For the same reason, many ranges either discourage or actually prohibit their use, both here and abroad.

Come now, the recoil on a .308 is not that bad!;)
    It is something that must be gotten used to, IMvHO - But that could be me just being too purist about it!:D Using a brake is kinda fooling yourself and allowing you to develop bad habits which are hard to get rid of!

And a muzzle brake on a .308 does not reduce the felt or percieved recoil to such an extent (again IMvHO) that you won't still be flinching or anticipating the kick. It really only stops the muzzle-jump and only slightly reduces recoil. Or at least that's what I've found.

If it is a very light rifle with a Tong type barrel maybe :D

OP try firing a day of clays with an old baikal single barrel and you will stop flinching ;)

Or if you are of small build try one of those spongy but plate thingy magiggies

I find my Remmy VTR fine, and it is a light rifle 7 1/2 lb's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

My experience is that a mod will tame the kick better than a muzzle brake, though I couldn't claim experience with either too many mods or too many muzzle brakes. neither is the done thing for target shooting however, so I'd recommend looking up a few threads here on how to get rid of flinching and learn to take recoil well. You won't find it too hard with a .308 to shoot some tidy groups with a bit of practice and concentration.

• Advertisement

My experience is that a mod will tame the kick better than a muzzle brake, though I couldn't claim experience with either too many mods or too many muzzle brakes. neither is the done thing for target shooting however, so I'd recommend looking up a few threads here on how to get rid of flinching and learn to take recoil well. You won't find it too hard with a .308 to shoot some tidy groups with a bit of practice and concentration.

Shot anticipation and follow through.
    I was lucky enoughto use a digital indoor range which shows your grip pressure, trigger pressure and length of hold on trigger post shot.

Several odf us did it, the ones that held on a few seconds after the shot, shot better.
    A good firm grip and proper breathing technuiques help, a mod helps with muzzle jump as in essence it is a big weight on the end of the barrel as well as a gas baffle.

I'd get a mod and just don't use it in comp's best of both worlds IMvHO ;)

Advertisement