Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muzzle brake

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..............I'd get a mod and just don't use it in comp's best of both worlds IMvHO ;)

If ONLY shooting comps I wouldn't get a mod as consistency in training and competing is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If ONLY shooting comps I wouldn't get a mod as consistency in training and competing is important.

OP are you shooting just comps, just hunting , or both?
    Bunny is correct in his point.
    No point you flinching in comps and not in the field.

I still think you will get used to the .308 in a few more rounds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

It would seem from the O/P's other posts on other threads that both Hunting and Target shooting (up to and including F-Class) are the areas which he is most interested in (open to correction on that, but that's my reading of the O/P's posting history).

If that is the case, surely tommy26 should get his practice in, without a muzzle brake - in that way, he'll learn to handle the recoil, avoid flinching, etc. and generally learn to be a better and more accurate shooter.......and then, once that's dealt with/mastered/overcome, use a muzzle brake when necessary to deal with follow-on shots and target re-acquisition.

A personal example: I don't usually (if ever) use my muzzle brake on my .308 for a couple of reasons: 1. No need TBH, 2. Can't use it in competitions so no point practicing with it on, etc.

But, I will be using it for a McQueen shoot in the UK in a fortnight - and for that discipline, target acquisition / re-acquisition is important (unlike the other target disciplines i shoot in), so I've been practicing with the brake on, just to sort out my drops etc.

But if I wasn't going to a McQueen's shoot, I wouldn't bother with the muzzle brake at all.

The overall point I suppose I'm making is that the muzzle brake really only comes into its own, if first you are used to firing the rifle without it. Otherwise, you're only lulling yourself into a false-sense-of-security, so to speak.

And bearing in mind, we're taking about a .308 only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Heres the break on my 300 win mag....

It literally turns a lion into a pussycat...
    Its just a firm push in the shoulder and no muzzle lift....
    I also use an ase ulta jet when not using the break and I find the break lessens the recoil more than the mod....
    DSCF1133-1-1.jpg
    DSCF1129-1.jpg

Heres a little vid I did with me phone
    th_Movie_0001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

a lot less felt recoil with my brake also ,i use a jetz on my 270 . but its a snug gun to shoot any way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

sorry for the lateness of my reply guys.

i am very interested in shooting f-class so that rules out the muzzle brake. i have been shooting .22 for a few years so the recoil on my .308 is very hard to get use to but as so many of you have pointed out i need to practice more......

what i think i really need is someone to spend a few hours in the range teaching me what to do as i need to learn so much.....

and as i thought myself how to shoot my .22 im sure i have alot of bad habits and anythin i have learned lately is from the help of this site so just need to speak to someone in the midlands the next time im down there thanks for all your help

tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

These clips will give you an idea (but I wouldn't try this at home!!!:eek:)

enter site and go to muzzle break test :

http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the last thing you want to do is spend time on a range ,fire a few shots at a time from a bench not prone .

wear plugs and muffs also were a heavy well padded vest or jacket .

flinching comes from noise more so than recoil for the informal rifleman .

dont go shoot a single barrel shot or the like less is more with your problem .

Advertisement