Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riots outside Durban stadium in South Africa

• 14-06-2010 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking on Twitter right now by reliable resources. Terrible if true, here are the tweets:

Now they are blocking the doors and those of us outside had to force our way back inside the media centre as they threatened to shoot again
    5 minutes ago via web
    Its all going bonkers outside. Everyone running now and trying to get back inside the Media centre. this is crazy
    6 minutes ago via web
    Am going outside to check. Will be back with updates. . .
    11 minutes ago via web
    BIG TROUBLE at Durban Stadium!! Something just exploded. outside. Media being forced to stay inside the Media Centre
    11 minutes ago via web

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Uh oh. Things were going far too well there for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

A shame, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

http://twitter.com/colinudoh

Just popped up on Sky News a minute ago but they dont have enough details to report. Something to do with protestors they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Some other twitter link says it's riot police having an argument with stewards who didnt get paid or somehting like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The explosions are crowd control grenades according to Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Sky News say it's about the stewards. Don't think it's anything major to worry about just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tweet has been updated with same.... a protest.

Crowd control grenades? They don't fuck about, do they...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

stovelid wrote: »
    Tweet has been updated with same.... a protest.

Crowd control grenades? They don't fuck about, do they...

Only in SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nice one fifa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Headshot wrote: »
    nice one fifa

whats it got to do with FIFA? Or why blame them?

whats it got to do with FIFA? Or why blame them?

because they shouldnt of held it there in the first place

because they shouldnt of held it there in the first place
    So only riots happen in South Africa? cop on to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

popcorn.jpg

So only riots happen in South Africa? cop on to yourself

this is the WC we're talking about, any country that held is suppose to be fully prepared for it

i cant remember any trouble In south Korea and germany, this isnt the first time a riot has happened in sa, a recent friendly involving Nigeria had a riot

SA is a new nation and shouldnt been offered this competition in the first place, just not ready for this

this is the WC we're talking about, any country that held is suppose to be fully prepared for it

i cant remember any trouble In south Korea and germany, this isnt the first time a riot has happened in sa, a recent friendly involving Nigeria had a riot

SA is a new nation and shouldnt been offered this competition in the first place, just not ready for this

There was trouble at France 1998 in Marseille.

LOL eh...Germany 06 there was riots between mainly english and german fans.

RichTea wrote: »
    There was trouble at France 1998 in Marseille.

that was 12 years ago, why im saying that is because hooligans aren't allowed to the wc anymore. Times have changed or should i say shouldve of changed, there's no excuse for riots at a world cup event

as iv said this is the 2nd time this has happened in SA
    LOL eh...Germany 06 there was riots between mainly english and german fans.
    no need for the lol, i wasnt aware of that

i still stand by my point that south africa shouldnt of gotten the wc in the first place

http://www.southafricalogue.com/travel-tips/reasons-why-south-africa-is-not-ready-for-world-cup-2010.html
    here's an interesting article on why south africa shouldnt of gotten, poor Greece players found out to late on reason 1

that was 12 years ago, why im saying that is because hooligans aren't allowed to the wc anymore. Times have changed or should i say shouldve of changed, there's no excuse for riots at a world cup event

as iv said this is the 2nd time this has happened in SA

Germany 2006?

FFS lads, are ye seriously trying to say that South Africa is as safe as Germany or France?

In no uncertain terms, South Africa is a bit of a shíthole. It's unbelievably corrupt and gangs run the gaff and the Police are easily paid off.

Open yer eyes, like.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    FFS lads, are ye seriously trying to say that South Africa is as safe as Germany or France?

In no uncertain terms, South Africa is a bit of a shíthole. It's unbelievably corrupt and gangs run the gaff and the Police are easily paid off.

Open yer eyes, like.

thank you baz

i worked with south African recently and he echoed all the above, he couldnt believe that south Africa got it

Open yer eyes, like.

I never said it was as safe as Germany or France. Headshot said he couldnt remember any trouble in previous WC.
    France and Germany were given as examples.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im happy its on in SA. Doesnt mean they can handle it tho. South Africa will always remain a dangerous place and then you have many thousands of naieve tourists hitting it in one go.. Just hoping for SA sake it goes will and no one is killed.

South Africa held the 95 rugby world cup. Granted, its not AS big an event as the football, but still, as far as i know there were no major incidents?

What other African nation would you have suggested to host it this year???

I just think its daft to hear -- riot--and blame FIFA for picking them as hosts.

South Africa held the 95 rugby world cup. Granted, its not AS big an event as the football, but still, as far as i know there were no major incidents?

I just think its daft to hear -- riot--and blame FIFA for picking them as hosts.

None of them, until they can get their acts together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Morocco were far better equiped to host it but good old Mandela gave SA the edge. Would have been pretty damn hot in Morocco but you wouldn't have had any of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

mmm, I'd riot if all I was paid was $25 instead of the $195 I was promised for a day from 0700 till 0100 next day

mate its no where as big as the wc, thats like comparing chalk and cheese. but anyway i was wrong about the riots but this is twice it happened now, its not looking good. What baz has said is mainly what i think but this latest riot just got me angry at fifa

on your other question about an africa host, if they had to be one, Egypt would of been my choice, but none of them really deserve it imo

• Advertisement

None of them, until they can get their acts together.

Well it had to be one didnt it?

mate its no where as big as the wc, thats like comparing chalk and cheese. but anyway i was wrong about the riots but this is twice it happened now, its not looking good. What baz has said is mainly what i think but this latest riot just got me angry at fifa

on your other question about an africa host, if they had to be one, Egypt would of been my choice, but none of them really deserve it imo

Sorry but how could you pick Egypt over Morocco? :D

Well it had to be one didnt it?

Did it?.. Woulda been kinda stupid, imo.

If it had to be one it'd probably be one nof the northern countries, Egypt, Tunisia or Morrocco.

But, they also have their problems, and a lot of their people cause havoc in France and Spain.

Sorry but how could you pick Egypt over Morocco? :D

its late and im tired :o

i forgot Morocco were there, so yes i agree with ya Catenaccio

(btw you have my number today, muller and now this:D)

Haha, sorry, just couldn't see much logic in picking Egypt tbh. I'll leave you alone after this, swear :)

Did it?.. Woulda been kinda stupid, imo.

If it had to be one it'd probably be one nof the northern countries, Egypt, Tunisia or Morrocco.

But, they also have their problems, and a lot of their people cause havoc in France and Spain.

Yup, that's the new way of doing it now. Do a lot of Moroccans cause havoc in France/Spain? Seems like a strange comment to make. :confused:

• Advertisement

Yup, that's the new way of doing it now. Do a lot of Moroccans cause havoc in France/Spain? Seems like a strange comment to make. :confused:

Spain, anyway. Twas the Algerians I was thinking of in France.:o

Was over in Lanzarote in January and I was told by quite a few residents that a few Moroccans float into the canaries on mainland Spain on little dinghys every few weeks. Then they proceed to pickpocket and snatch handbags/valuables off tourists. Havoc was a strong word to use, I suppose, trouble would be a better way of putting it.

Old news.

Hardly old news in fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This thread and reactions within is suitable for AH :eek:

So two dispersive grenades let off..over some steward "heard" they'd be paid more and broken news over Twitter.

Hardly the breaking down of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Trouble at the World Cup shocker!

As has been posted, it has happened before. That can't be blamed on African countries, considering this is the first WC there.

Some people would love something serious to happen in South Africa. Might make up for Italia 90 etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So you saying that SA are well capable of hosting a tournament like this? I mean, in comparison to previous hosts...

So you saying that SA are well capable of hosting a tournament like this? I mean, in comparison to previous hosts...

Like Mexico, Argentina, Spain? I don't know!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What happened in those countries, much of the same?

What happened in those countries, much of the same?

What same? Big allegations of bribery in Argentina.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This thread should be a shoe in for biggest over reaction of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

Just found this on the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10306156.stm

quote :-

South African riot police in Durban have fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of security stewards protesting over alleged pay cuts.

The clash took place in a carpark at the city's Moses Mabhida stadium shortly after it hosted a match between Australia and Germany.

The stewards said they were being paid only 190 rand (£17; $25) a day, although they had been promised more.

Reports say one woman was injured and at least two people were arrested.

It was not immediately clear how much the stewards were supposed to have been paid according to their contracts.

So far there, have been no public comments on the incident from South Africa's World Cup organising committee or Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

In no uncertain terms, South Africa Ireland is a bit of a shíthole. It's unbelievably corrupt and gangs run the gaff and the Police are easily paid off.

Open yer eyes, like.
    Open your own eyes before casting your judgement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Open your own eyes before casting your judgement

Are you fúcking serious?
    There's a reason why journalists/documentary makers go to South Africa, to show it's corruptness. Some of the Police force are criminal gangs, don't try to tell me it's the same in Ireland.
    If you gave South Africa a 10/10 for danger levels, Ireland would get about 3/10.

My parents have seen it first hand on 3 different holidays, about 9 to 11 years ago.

Are you fúcking serious?
    There's a reason why journalists/documentary makers go to South Africa, to show it's corruptness. Some of the Police force are criminal gangs, don't try to tell me it's the same in Ireland.
    If you gave South Africa a 10/10 for danger levels, Ireland would get about 3/10.

My parents have seen it first hand on 3 different holidays, about 9 to 11 years ago.

Don't think many would argue with that, but does it mean countries like that shouldn't get the World Cup?

• Advertisement
Advertisement