Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to other Network on PAYG, Do i need to buy Credit?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im with Meteor now but I need to port to another network in order to avail of a deal at Meteor (the guy at the shop said i could avail of it even though im blatently fleecing the situation).

What i want to know is can i just port to another network (O2, Vodafone, Three or tesco) without having to buy their credit. And if i do need to buy credit is there a minimum amount i need to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Would the guy in the shop not be able to tell you?

Would the guy in the shop not be able to tell you?

Dont have an opportunity to go to the shop for another day or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you port to another network you will need to buy some credit to be able to make calls. If you don't need to make calls there is no need to purchase their credit.

Handiest thing is to port to vodafone and buy €5 credit.

I dont need to make any calls. I will literally be going from the Porting store (be it O2, Vodafone...etc) straight to meteor to show them im with another network.

Basically in order to activate the ported account do i need to purchase credit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your thinking about jumping off meteor for a few hours just so you can come back and get some port in credit that won't work you need to be off the network for at least 30 days.

If your thinking about jumping off meteor for a few hours just so you can come back and get some port in credit that won't work you need to be off the network for at least 30 days.

read the first line of my first post. Guy in shop didnt care and said he would turn a blind eye. They can either have my business for the month or i can go to o2 or vodafone for the month until they will accept me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Are you sure the guy working in the shop got his facts straight?

I'm guessing you are trying to avail of an offer which (annoyingly) is only available to new customers?

As far as I'm aware the networks don't consider a customer who ports back as a new customer. I ported from O2 to Meteor in 2003 and in 2008 I ported from Meteor back to O2, but I didn't get the extra credit for porting my number as O2 told me that a customer who ports back is not considered a new customer (even after 5 years in my case).

Anyway I'm not sure if this applies to you OP, but I will say to maybe get a second opinion from a different Meteor employee, as from my own personal experience, the guys in the shops aren't always as informed as they'll let on.

Advertisement