Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Refuse Collector?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Right,now I know this may seem like i'm picking from the bottom of the pile,but hey,it's still a job.I am thinking of applying to become a Refuse Collector here in Cork and need some advice.

How/where would I apply?

What are the pay and conditions like?

I heard some of these guys are pulling in between €400 and €800 a week.Not my dream career as I say,but it could be a stopgap,and probably better than a lot of other jobs right now.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine, like most public jobs, you have to wait for a vacancy arises and the council advertises. No harm in asking them if they expect to hire. The private waste disposal companies also employ people - they constantly seem to be looking for truck / ship drivers.

I suspect you start as a refuse collector on trucks or as a street sweeper and move up from there. The more responsibility you can demonstrate the more responsibility and self-supervision you get. Having a (car) driving licence would be seen as an advantage, although I imagine they train their own truck drivers. Also its not a skill-less job - you still have to be able to get up at about 4am and show up for work (sober).

Advertisement