Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do not miss this for your kids!!! [Street Performance World Championship this weekend

Options
  • 14-06-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Dublin’s Merrion Square from 17-20 June: http://www.businessandleadership.com/life/news/article/21686/

I was there... I was there for the Cork event. What an amazing day! Bring a picnic, bring an umbrella, nothing will stop the amazing and incredible entertainment that is abound in this event.

Bring your kids they will absolutely love it. Trust me on that. It is possibly one of the best events I have ever attended.

My recommondation is 'Dado' he will have you and your kids in hysterics with 40mins of pure entertainment whether you like it or not. (He got my vote). Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/AIB-Street-Performance-World-Championship/
    AIB Street Performance World Championship
    Monday, May 17, 2010

Family Fun, Unimaginable Tricks, Unthinkable Feats, Unbelievable Hilarity.

This June the best contortionists, magicians, breakdancers, comedians and other assorted world-class professional jesters will descend on Dublin’s Merrion Square to battle it out for the most coveted title in street performance, the AIB Street Performance World Champion.

Let the wheels on the bus bring you down to see the 2009 title holders, the jaw-dropping USA Breakdancers return as special guests, alongside Flying Dutchmen, a Flamingo named Svetlana, a madcap scientist called Doktor Kaboom!, lightning-fast costume changers Quick Change, and many more gravity-defying, head spinning acts.

The festival runs from the 17th to the 20th June 2010. Shows begin at 12pm each day and entry is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Defo, thanks! I went last year and had a great time!

Would recommend it to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I wanted to go last year but something came up. Here is the link to website.

And we saw this guy when watching the late late and the kids love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I was at the Cork one - great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am looking forward to this, whatever the weather.

• Advertisement

Some pics I took at the last one, I was very pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was and I'm really looking forward to the next one. I was delighted when I started receiving emails from emtertainers afterwards asking could they use some of my shots. The kids had an absolutely brilliant day and I honestly wished I had gotten there early.

We packed ourselves a little picnic, some drinks etc and in between shows we sat and relaxed but there is constantly something to do or watch there.

http://pix.ie/rachelfoxphotos/album/346315

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

To those of you who've already seen this, would it suits teens (13 & 15) or is it more of a younger kid thing?

Splendour wrote: »
    To those of you who've already seen this, would it suits teens (13 & 15) or is it more of a younger kid thing?

It would suit 1 to 101!

Great craic for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

It is for all ages. The entertainment is outstanding. It is as it says on the tin: 'The worlds best street performers'. My 4yr old and myself were totally engaged and fascinated by the performers that we saw.

The Cork event was v.well organised the ques for ice cream treats and savoury foods, facepainting (4-5euro) etc were short and fast moving, the vendors were reputable and not overpriced. Lots of stewards and good security was in place.

I would reccomend a plan for a full day out: Tips I would offer are;

1: Small Umbrella: the forecast is good for the week, but it is Irish weather.
    2: Pack a good supply of food and drinks: They even have a giant bean bag area for folks to just crash out and rest.
    3: Don't forget your camera / vid camera, you will watch it back and laugh I guarantee that.
    4: Toilet paper / wet wipes, often underated but essential for a full day out. The portaloos were clean but still ran out of the basics.
    5: Enjoy your day out.

There was also a half acre dedicated to innovative interactive wooden games in the Cork Park which the kids of all ages loved. It was very engaging and fascinating for kids and parents alike.

Again I would recommend not missing 'Dado', he has to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Was in there from the start till 6.30 and myself and my 8, 6 ane 4 year old had a ball. Saw about 5 acts in that time and had a great laugh. There is just so much to do there. Theres a big play area plus a playground and tonnes of other things in and above the acts. You wouldnt fit it all in even if you went for the 2 days.

We saw Dado on the recommendation here and wasn't too impressed to be honest. The favourite of who we saw today was "The Collector". Very funny for the kids.

Fairly busy but easy enough to get around from stage to stage but I would recommend getting to who you want to see at the time they start as the crowds build up quickly. Loads of toilets and found the ones outside had little to no queue compared to the ones in the the square.

Beware the sun though. I forgot my cap so my balding head got a right frying.

Highly recommended day out for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yeah, even in two days you probably couldn't see all the acts. They could certainly do with more signposts around to help with finding the stages.

Great entertainment, and great atmosphere. I'm heading there again tomorrow to check out the rest of the acts.

My thoughts on some of the acts I found...

The Collector was really great for the younger kids. All the kids get to participate in the routine. Don't stand too close though, our you are liable to get a soaking!:D

JP Koala put on a great show for the older children and adults. Some minor adult language, but nothing excessive. His 'trick' with the Koala at the end of the routine is brilliantly funny. Overall, he's more of an ad-lib comedian than a stunt performer, but he does a few really dangerous juggling stunts.

I wasn't impressed with Sharon Mahoney...irritating voice, and the first 5 mins of her show is getting the audience to sing the Canadian national anthem....erm, no thanks Sharon.

Dado, seemed to draw big crowds, though I didn't see his show as it appeared to be for the younger kids.

I wasn't expecting much from Franky J Kabaam, but he surprised me. Quite entertaining, and in the end he had about 30 people from the audience dancing as part of his show. His show seems targeted at those with a fondness for all things 70's. Disco rules! (Yeah, I'm a 70's kid)

Thom Sellectomy has an impressive 'sword swallowing' style act. Some parts where so gross that I seen people turn away (like putting a drill into his nose!). But I think everyone like it.

There was also 2 French-Canadian acrobats called Les Vitamines who put on a brilliant show. They do a mock boxing match which is really funny. Very well choreographed.

One thing I have to say...most of the acts did a really good job of getting the audience to participate in their acts...especially getting the kids involved. JP Koala made one 8 year old boy practically one-half of the act!

Oh, and bring lots of sunscreen if going tomorrow. You'll need it. I'm as red as a beetroot at the moment. Doh!

Yes sunscreen is a must really. The good spell is set to last till mid week. Plus sunhats for the smallies (and the baldies;)) and bring a few drinks as well in the old cooler bags.

Glad to see that people enjoyed the event so far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

we are planning on going tomorrow, but want to be prepared, are there are charges for the other bits like the bubble place or the clay place?
    thanks

Yeah, even in two days you probably couldn't see all the acts. They could certainly do with more signposts around to help with finding the stages.

Great entertainment, and great atmosphere. I'm heading there again tomorrow to check out the rest of the acts.

My thoughts on some of the acts I found...

The Collector was really great for the younger kids. All the kids get to participate in the routine. Don't stand too close though, our you are liable to get a soaking!:D

JP Koala put on a great show for the older children and adults. Some minor adult language, but nothing excessive. His 'trick' with the Koala at the end of the routine is brilliantly funny. Overall, he's more of an ad-lib comedian than a stunt performer, but he does a few really dangerous juggling stunts.

I wasn't impressed with Sharon Mahoney...irritating voice, and the first 5 mins of her show is getting the audience to sing the Canadian national anthem....erm, no thanks Sharon.

Dado, seemed to draw big crowds, though I didn't see his show as it appeared to be for the younger kids.

I wasn't expecting much from Franky J Kabaam, but he surprised me. Quite entertaining, and in the end he had about 30 people from the audience dancing as part of his show. His show seems targeted at those with a fondness for all things 70's. Disco rules! (Yeah, I'm a 70's kid)

Thom Sellectomy has an impressive 'sword swallowing' style act. Some parts where so gross that I seen people turn away (like putting a drill into his nose!). But I think everyone like it.

There was also 2 French-Canadian acrobats called Les Vitamines who put on a brilliant show. They do a mock boxing match which is really funny. Very well choreographed.

One thing I have to say...most of the acts did a really good job of getting the audience to participate in their acts...especially getting the kids involved. JP Koala made one 8 year old boy practically one-half of the act!

Oh, and bring lots of sunscreen if going tomorrow. You'll need it. I'm as red as a beetroot at the moment. Doh!
    lynski wrote: »
    we are planning on going tomorrow, but want to be prepared, are there are charges for the other bits like the bubble place or the clay place?
    thanks
    There are charges for anything except for face painting 4-5euro. The bubble of light is 4euro but can be bypassed easily. The rest is free but a choice of putting money into a hat is there, that again is choice.

The clay thing is free, . I suppose though that the usual overpriced balloons will be there as well but again that is choice / avoid them if you can.

I think that this event is about votes for the chaps that are doing the performing really, they do put out hats for contributions but the actual vote of being the best is most important.

I made a point of finding the voting tents and just ticked my fave performer on the small booklets that they provided.

Plus even though I intended to not pay out much being on a budget myself, I found myself sending my daughter in and dropping the odd couple of euro into some hats, purely because the entertainment was so good.

It is free, but I would reccomend bringing some change i.e. some euro coins, no harm dropping a euro into an amazing entertainers hat when they have spent 30-45mins entertaining you and your family. There is no pressure to give at all but it is well worth it.

It is the actual vote of being the best and the most entertaining is the spirit of the event. That is what makes these performers so brilliant.

They are living their dreams by being talented, it is not about the money, but it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

lynski wrote: »
    thanks

As above, most things are free (about 95%). There's really no shortage of free things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Just back from this with my two, we had an amazing day.
    Split my trousers on the space hoppers :D but I had something to cover up with.
    Favourate acts where Dr Kaboom but the winner was Jack Wiess.

There was soo much to so and the park by the afternoon was jammers it was nice to beable to sit on the space hoppers. We did do the tent of light, it was a very sureal experience, not sure it was worth the hour queing but the kids really wanted to do it.

Hopefully the event will be back next year and I would certainly go to it again.

Advertisement