Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please help - amplifier problem?

• 14-06-2010 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok, i tried litteraly everything....i am desperate.

I have Yamaha 365, KEF 5.1 speakers, Iamm multimedia player and xbox 360.I set it up almost perfectly, i am saying ALMOST because i am THIS (showing tip of my fingernailsmile.gif)) close to wreck everything up...

So here it is. Every time i try to set up primary DSP program as surround decoder it just dont wanna change it...The AV reciever is recognizing every single format, but it it always set it up to STRAIGHT - on yamaha thats some stupid 2 channel s*** and i dont know how to overpass it...

I can select as PRIMARY every single dsp program there is, but not natural surround decoder program, and everytime i click INFO on my remote, it says STRAIGHT on my AV reciever display,,,,

I dont know what i am doing wrong, this is 7-hours of hell tweaking, so PLEASE help...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I haven't used that receiver, and don't recognise some of the terms used in your post but if its this receiver, User manual here: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V365_U.pdf, then look at page 36 of the manual and set up each of your inputs manually - see "Step 5 Decoder Mode" in the manual attached - it's a lot easier if you set the decoder to "Auto", then if the incoming signal is Dolby Digital or DTS, it will decode accordingly, if its a two channel signal it should go to Dolby ProLogic/whatever.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pscarface

It looks like that STRAIGHT on 465 means that YAMAHA is using unprocessed HD sound signal, and i am unable to "attach" some of the DSP programs for it, thus, it say "STRAIGHT" on main display...

I cannot explain it in any other way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

pscarface wrote: »
    It looks like that STRAIGHT on 465 means that YAMAHA is using unprocessed HD sound signal, and i am unable to "attach" some of the DSP programs for it, thus, it say "STRAIGHT" on main display...

I cannot explain it in any other way...

Why do you want to use ProLogic DSP modes for HD Audio?

I presume you are using a BluRay, SACD or possibly a High Quality DTS disc. According to the manual
    When PCM signals with a sampling frequency higher than 48 kHz are input, this unit is automatically set to the “STRAIGHT” mode (see page 26).

I will read further in the manual and explain better if you can tell me what your source hardware and material is.

nereid wrote: »
    Why do you want to use ProLogic DSP modes for HD Audio?

I presume you are using a BluRay, SACD or possibly a High Quality DTS disc. According to the manual

I will read further in the manual and explain better if you can tell me what your source hardware and material is.

Source is IAMM - full hd media player, he is connected to Y465 via HDMI and i understand what u are saying, it just bugs me that STRAIGHT mode according to my manual is something only for 2 channel sound...so i am tripping that i am not getting full effect...

Source is IAMM - full hd media player, he is connected to Y465 via HDMI and i understand what u are saying, it just bugs me that STRAIGHT mode according to my manual is something only for 2 channel sound...so i am tripping that i am not getting full effect...

Is your AVR a 365 (as per your OP) or 465 as per your subsequent posts?

From what I have read in the manual, STRAIGHT does no processing of the sound (PCM audio) and passes the signal to the amplifier stage. This means that the incoming signal(s) from your media player are stereo. How is this device connected to the AVR -Via Multichannel RCA or stereo RCA leads (Red/White) or TOSLINK (Optical/CoAx), or HDMI? Can you change the output settings on this device?

There is a STRAIGHT button on the front of your AVR, and on the remote control - have you tried pressing it to turn that feature off?

Have you tried connecting any other source (CD player, DVD player, IPod etc) to the AVR and seeing what settings are then?

• Advertisement

Is your AVR a 365 (as per your OP) or 465 as per your subsequent posts?

From what I have read in the manual, STRAIGHT does no processing of the sound (PCM audio) and passes the signal to the amplifier stage. This means that the incoming signal(s) from your media player are stereo. How is this device connected to the AVR -Via Multichannel RCA or stereo RCA leads (Red/White) or TOSLINK (Optical/CoAx), or HDMI? Can you change the output settings on this device?

There is a STRAIGHT button on the front of your AVR, and on the remote control - have you tried pressing it to turn that feature off?

Have you tried connecting any other source (CD player, DVD player, IPod etc) to the AVR and seeing what settings are then?

Its 465. I connected xbox 360 also through HDMI cable, and its always STRAGHT...Signal from my media player/x360 is not stereo because Y465 recognize sound signal from it and activate decoder as DTS/Pro Logic. Problem is only in this STRAGHT DSP program...I think they just didnt explained it well...and that u were right when u said it its just because there cannot be additional DSP for original HD source, so it says STRAIGHT. do u agree? but please try to find out more.

The Xbox can be set to LPCM or Bitstream for outputting audio over HDMI. If you set it to LPCM, the xbox decodes the audio internally and outputs it uncompressed over HDMI. If you set it to Bitstream, it sends the raw audio bits compressed over HDMI and your amp decodes it.

In the latter case, your STRAIGHT should change to DTS, or Dolby Digital etc. depending on the source encoding.

Your amp has the internal decoders to handle any of the formats should you choose Bitstream mode.

The Xbox can be set to LPCM or Bitstream for outputting audio over HDMI. If you set it to LPCM, the xbox decodes the audio internally and outputs it uncompressed over HDMI. If you set it to Bitstream, it sends the raw audio bits compressed over HDMI and your amp decodes it.

In the latter case, your STRAIGHT should change to DTS, or Dolby Digital etc. depending on the source encoding.

Your amp has the internal decoders to handle any of the formats should you choose Bitstream mode.

What should i setup on IAMM? HDMI LPCM, HDMI LPCM MULTI CH or HDMI RAW? I only get to see corresponding decoder on Y465 if RAW is set as output from multimedia device. This is only about DSP program, not about decoder, Y465 always recognize it from IAMM and XBOX360.
    thx in advanced.

Maybe everything is ok:) but my surr speakers are very high and i cannot climb there to test them in "files" they are working in amplifier tests...is there any HD file with which i could test if the whole system is working as it should?

What should i setup on IAMM? HDMI LPCM, HDMI LPCM MULTI CH or HDMI RAW? I only get to see corresponding decoder on Y465 if RAW is set as output from multimedia device. This is only about DSP program, not about decoder, Y465 always recognize it from IAMM and XBOX360.
    thx in advanced.

Maybe everything is ok:) but my surr speakers are very high and i cannot climb there to test them in "files" they are working in amplifier tests...is there any HD file with which i could test if the whole system is working as it should?

No offence, but have you tried reading any of the manuals ?
    If you have done the YPAO setup should generate test tones and there are further sections describing each of the audio decoders with tones.

LPCM as I said already is uncompressed audio
    Multi LPCM is multichannel uncompressed audio
    RAW is bitstream and you have noticed that with this you get the corresponding decoder.

DSP = Decoder. If no decoder is being used it defaults to STRAIGHT.

Finally, the "problems" section of the manual says exactly what I told you to try already: if no sound is heard from the rear speakers and STRAIGHT is enabled, press STRAIGHT on the remote or on the front panel to disable it.

As for test sources, apart from the test tones in the system menu, any DVD that is labeled as 5.1 should generate 5.1 audio.

I suggest you read and follow the instruction manuals for all your pieces of equipment, perform the tests, observe what happens and then post back with any questions you have.

No offence, but have you tried reading any of the manuals ?
    If you have done the YPAO setup should generate test tones and there are further sections describing each of the audio decoders with tones.

LPCM as I said already is uncompressed audio
    Multi LPCM is multichannel uncompressed audio
    RAW is bitstream and you have noticed that with this you get the corresponding decoder.

DSP = Decoder. If no decoder is being used it defaults to STRAIGHT.

Finally, the "problems" section of the manual says exactly what I told you to try already: if no sound is heard from the rear speakers and STRAIGHT is enabled, press STRAIGHT on the remote or on the front panel to disable it.

As for test sources, apart from the test tones in the system menu, any DVD that is labeled as 5.1 should generate 5.1 audio.

I suggest you read and follow the instruction manuals for all your pieces of equipment, perform the tests, observe what happens and then post back with any questions you have.

None taken. However, yes i saw the manuals, and same question is still bugging me...

I ran YPAO setup, tested speakers, everything works fine, except, DSP is not decoder but "program" that Y465 can apply to the sound that is coming from the source, hence, i tried another test with INFO button, because when IAMM or XBOX360 are on, STRAIGHT button is "locked", and cannot be changed, i explained why that is on my opinion.

So, when i click INFO button i have following informations - INPUT = HDMI, DSP PROGRAM = STRAIGHT and AUDIO DECODER = DTS/Dolby ProLogic (depending of audio file from source)...

If we analyze that test we can say that Yamaha is recognizing audio source, engaging all speakers, but it does not allow to change DSP program...my question was smiply WHY? And i tottaly agree with your first answer, but now u are confusing me...

Sorry from bad english, its not my primary language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement