Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French

• 14-06-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Ok I know I have posted stuff like this plenty before but it's 2 days until the French exam... And I really desperatedly need a B3 or a clC2 minimum. I'm so worried because time has flown by and I havnt done my work for French at all. I havnt even learnt off phrases. My comprehensions are appalling.

I need to know that if I deligently do 4-5 exam papers between now and wednesday and start learning my essays and basic phrases... What are the chances I will even get an honours? I hate this feeling because I just think as a repeat how did I let this happen again??? I managed to **** up again and neglected a subject I shouldn't have. I litterly don't know what to do...!!! Should I just devote a day to French and *pray* everything on the paper is easy? Or should I just give up now because it's too late? I feel like I'm asking for a miracle that can't come true... Just seriously need some help... I will do anything it takes to get a B3...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

fufu, you have to choice. Either try your best for a chance of getting it or you could not try and have 0% chance. Obvious answer no?

Now let the useful comments roll! (please post!) I hate french with a passion myself as it's uncrammable. I'm pretty much in the same situation as fufu, and would like to how to optimally use the next 2 days to boost up my french grade.

I know I should definitely learn all the tenses well as it is essential for the written and for identifying them in comprehension. I'm just not sure what after that, should I give up on trying to improve my comprehension & listening (although I might just do some listening to get my ears adjusted)?

Also, some of you said that learning general "that is an ecumenical matter"-like phrases is more beneficial than learning specific question targeted vocab. Anybody got some handy? I don't need simple ones like "d'abord" or any of those connective phrases.

Another question, anyone here learn idioms? My teachers suggest we do learn a few broad ones just to make our essay stand out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

H2student wrote: »
    Another question, anyone here learn idioms? My teachers suggest we do learn a few broad ones just to make our essay stand out a bit.

A good one you could use to talk about the economy maybe

C'était la goutte d'eau qui a fait déborder le vase.
    It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Can't think of anymore that you could use in the written but will let you know when I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Personally, I'd recommend dedicating at least 2-3 hours on grammar. It doesn't sound like a lot but it goes a LONG way. Go to http://french.about.com for a grammar explanation on nearly everything, and lots of vocab.

Vocab is the key. Learn off by heart vocab regarding unemployment, the recession, and basic things that get asked every year such as accomodation, a linguistic trip, a festival, etc.

French is so bloody easy if you just concentrate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Yeah,general phrases are good. Stuff like l'alcoolisme/le vandalisme/la pauvreté est un triste fait de notre époque. Tout le monde le sait. Le gouvernement devrait prenne des mesures (prenne is a subjunctive,too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

dyeti wrote: »
    Personally, I'd recommend dedicating at least 2-3 hours on grammar. It doesn't sound like a lot but it goes a LONG way. Go to http://french.about.com for a grammar explanation on nearly everything, and lots of vocab.

Vocab is the key. Learn off by heart vocab regarding unemployment, the recession, and basic things that get asked every year such as accomodation, a linguistic trip, a festival, etc.

It's also bloody easy si vous faites un effort de temps en temps. Not studying and then expecting to get honours if you cram stuff at the last minute may get you a piece of paper but you will never parler la langue courramment. If it was that easy tout le monde l'aurait fait...

• Advertisement

Healium wrote: »
    Yeah,general phrases are good. Stuff like l'alcoolisme/le vandalisme/la pauvreté est un triste fait de notre époque. Tout le monde le sait. Le gouvernement devrait prenne des mesures (prenne is a subjunctive,too)

Il faut que le gouvernement prenne?

Healium wrote: »

Are you sure? I think that it should be prendre and not prenne as in that sentence the subjunctive isn't required?

Maybe it's been too long since I've properly studied french but I'm almost sure that it should be prendre....

bette wrote: »

Voilà! Il me semblait que c'était ça!

It's also bloody easy si vous faites un effort de temps en temps. Not studying and then expecting to get honours if you cram stuff at the last minute may get you a piece of paper but you will never parler la langue courramment. If it was that easy tout le monde l'aurait fait...

French isn't "easy".

Even if you can study and get top marks in the LC it's the beginning of learning the language!

French is up there with the hardest languages in the world and I for one enjoy how challenging it can be but do not under any circumstances think that it's easy!

French isn't "easy".

Even if you can study and get top marks in the LC it's the beginning of learning the language!

French is up there with the hardest languages in the world and I for one enjoy how challenging it can be but do not under any circumstances think that it's easy!

That's nonsense! Everything worthwhile needs a little effort. Language cannot be learned by rote. You have to use your head.

I learned French among many other things in life and my experience is that one must make an effort.

Oh and top marks in the LC is just a piece of paper. It may get you into college but that might get you another piece of paper. However, what you need in life more than diplomas is drive and effort. ;)

• Advertisement

That's nonsense! Everything worthwhile needs a little effort. Language cannot be learned by rote. You have to use your head.

I learned French among many other things in life and my experience is that one must make an effort.

Oh and top marks in the LC is just a piece of paper. It may get you into college but that might get you another piece of paper. However, what you need in life more than diplomas is drive and effort. ;)

I dont know why you have quoted me as I have posted that French does need lots of effort and practical use which is not found in the LC.

I am living in France and enjoy learning french but effort is of course required!

I speak good french now but came out of the leaving cert higher with a B3 so I know about making an effort....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I don't give a **** about drive of effort towards diplomas in French i just wanna pass with an honour. I'm currently fluent in 5 languages so I don't care about French, And I agree asking for an honour with 2 days of cramming is a long shot and stupid, but if their is a will their must be a way...

Or it could just be too darn late.

Doing comprehensions right now as we speak...

5, nice. I only have 2 fluent. I only did French because I felt I had to have at least one european language. <__<, I rather sit 3 other theory-based paper than to sit the french exam. I hate having to learn the language of a culture of which I have no interest at all. Can't even do Spanish in my school -_-.

I'm just glad that the next two days of cramming for french is the last time
    I'll be studying this language. Even if I do repeat, I would not sit it, even if it's worth double points.

Btw, thanks for the tips! Off to grammar(the only tolerable part of the language imo)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Indeed! Guess I was still asleep :o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Omg I'm so screwed...
    I'm doing higher and I'm so scared of failing. I think I did ok in the oral and I'm usually ok in the aural.

How should I prepare myself with the "reaction" question? And should I just go through tenses, letters, notes, and emails for the other stuff?

At this stage I'm only looking over my essays, phrases and grammer. can't be arsed with anything else with French. I just want a C... Hopefully doing that will get me it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

I hope to get a C too... Or even a D

You know in the "reaction" questions, what if you don't understand the question? How do you study them?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

I really need help with what level I want to do. My teacher rang up the school and told me that she highly advises me to do pass level. I got a D2 in the mocks, but that was because I look on boards.ie for the essay, but I just sort of focus studyed, and we didn't do a oral for the mock and I got a D2. I think my oral went pretty good, and in the leaving all I want is a D3, which is 45 points for 40%.
    Would it be easier to get a D3 in honors or to sit the pass exam and get 45 points for a B1, which is 80%.
    Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Knowing what mistakes you usually make helps, 'cos then you know what you're looking for when you're proof reading. Definitely know your grammar and then the rest really depends on what comes up on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Misfitt

fufureida wrote: »
    I don't give a **** about drive of effort towards diplomas in French i just wanna pass with an honour. I'm currently fluent in 5 languages so I don't care about French, And I agree asking for an honour with 2 days of cramming is a long shot and stupid, but if their is a will their must be a way...

Or it could just be too darn late.

Doing comprehensions right now as we speak...

5 languages?! Fair play.. what are they? :) I love learning French and am thinking about doing languages in college but is having languages useful??

I haven't looked at french in weeks hoping to get the B though.. little bita revision and I'll be grand sure :) haha Anyone have any ideas on topics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Oh good god this will be dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

I really don't know what to revise.... LOTS of grammer i suppose... vocab... and i was thinking something to do with the future (was in both english and irish!! think it must be the fact that its 2010?) then obesity and facebook economy etc... Any other topical things people are focusing on?

Misfitt wrote: »
    5 languages?! Fair play.. what are they? :) I love learning French and am thinking about doing languages in college but is having languages useful??

I haven't looked at french in weeks hoping to get the B though.. little bita revision and I'll be grand sure :) haha Anyone have any ideas on topics?

Urudu, punjabi, Arabic, English and Sanskrit

Guys what topical questions you all preparing...???

Ah today is a fun day, I spent 3 hours looking at grammar(my favourite part). Now I have to learn stupid vocab and phrases for recession and poverty -_-. Bit too late to ask now, but do we really need a european language as an entry requirement for universities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

AndyOHart wrote: »
    I really need help with what level I want to do. My teacher rang up the school and told me that she highly advises me to do pass level. I got a D2 in the mocks, but that was because I look on boards.ie for the essay, but I just sort of focus studyed, and we didn't do a oral for the mock and I got a D2. I think my oral went pretty good, and in the leaving all I want is a D3, which is 45 points for 40%.
    Would it be easier to get a D3 in honors or to sit the pass exam and get 45 points for a B1, which is 80%.
    Any help?

If you did an Honours oral I don't think you can do a pass written :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Le gouvernement devrait PRENDRE

Devoir ALWAYS followed by infinitve

Le gouvernement prendre / donner / aider etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Le racisme / la pauvreté / le chomage / la crise économique est devenu (e) un probleme ces derniers mois ... has become a big prob in recent months

Je suis concerné(e) par ce probleme

Ca me mets hors de moi - It horrifies me

Moi, je suis pauvre a cause de la crise économique - i'm poor coz of the recession

Je n'ai pas d'argent

Je ne peux pas acheter des choses comme ... i can't buy things like ...

Je suis déprimé(e) - depressed

Je suis dégouté (e) par le racisme / la criminalité - disgusted by

Je suis aux anges - i'm delighted

Le fléau est en hausse - scourge is increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

You can the teacher said you can drop down.
    But I think the oral in pass is only 20%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

Im pretty sure you can... Sure the examiner in the oral doesnt know if your honours or pass?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lads and lassies, Im gonna head now but Bonne chance everyone:)

Advertisement