Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get Fluorine

• 14-06-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a bucket of fluorine. Cleaned my toilet with it recently and it is powerful stuff. Also saw it being used to clean stones which algae had built up on and it got rid of it in no time and they were absolutely sparkling afterwards.

I recently put paving in the back garden and want to use it to clean it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Looking to get a bucket of fluorine. Cleaned my toilet with it recently and it is powerful stuff. Also saw it being used to clean stones which algae had built up on and it got rid of it in no time and they were absolutely sparkling afterwards.

I recently put paving in the back garden and want to use it to clean it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine

:eek::eek::eek:[/url]

are you serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

article doesn't exist it's saying

can u copy and paste in some text if you can find it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine try that, the :eek: were too close to the link

ya , read this, what exactly is the problemo? the guy who recommended fluorine to me works with the coco and they add fluorine to drinking water so not sure what problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Are you talking about fluorine or fluoride?? Two very different things altogether...

• Advertisement

fluorine is what I'm looking for like I said in the original post.

NOT fluoride

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Believe me its not what your looking for. Fluorine is a gas, a very rare and dangerous one.

Is it Chlorine your looking for? then get some milton or bleach, would not recommend to use it to clean toilets if you have a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

NOT fluoride

Fair enough! Just that being the most reactive element in the periodic table (and a gas as pointed out before) I would not like to be enywhere near the stuff myself. It will react with, i.e. attack EVERYTHING, if I remember well from my undergrad chemistry years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

used to work in a gym back in me younger days. anyway they used an acid that they could pour on the banks and be fine to dilute in the swimming pools.

so i would imagine it was chlorine not flourine.

this stuff burned through everythin. clothes shoes everything and lifted every speck of dirt and mould off the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

NOT fluoride
    No it isn't. The stuff your mate adds to the drinking water is almost certainly sodium fluoride. As others have pointed out fluorine is a gas and a very nasty corrosive one at that, so getting a 'bucket' of it would be somewhat difficult :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

From the sounds of what you are saying it's HF you're looking for.
    The acid reacts with literally everything and gives off fluorine gas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid

Quick Google search found Chemsource Ltd., Unit 2, Stadium Business Park, Ballycoolin, Dublin, Ireland, 11 (No other details)

You can also purchase it (in high grade (& Cost) form from Lennox.

This is a nasty chemical to use, and as for your mate in the Co. Co., it's a different chemical they use (it's a waste by-product from the fertiliser industry)

Chlorides will discolour (haze) any of the stone surfaces......

that stuff would be in the water table after you have washed your yard!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

And in the OP as well.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Jokesetal wrote: »
    From the sounds of what you are saying it's HF you're looking for.
    The acid reacts with literally everything and gives off fluorine gas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid

Quick Google search found Chemsource Ltd., Unit 2, Stadium Business Park, Ballycoolin, Dublin, Ireland, 11 (No other details)

You can also purchase it (in high grade (& Cost) form from Lennox.

This is a nasty chemical to use, and as for your mate in the Co. Co., it's a different chemical they use (it's a waste by-product from the fertiliser industry)

Chlorides will discolour (haze) any of the stone surfaces......

Fluoride is what is added to water. Just to point out that HF is the most potent non-superacid known to man. If you get exposed to it will continue to react unabated. I have heard of people having to have fingers amputated because of this. I use it in work to etch porcelain. That's how powerful it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you want to clean paving can you not just powerwash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Big_G wrote: »
    Fluoride is what is added to water. Just to point out that HF is the most potent non-superacid known to man. If you get exposed to it will continue to react unabated. I have heard of people having to have fingers amputated because of this. I use it in work to etch porcelain. That's how powerful it is.

Beat me to it , HF is the scariest chemical out there .I dont mind handling sulphuric acid but not that stuff.

HF absorbs all the calcium in your bones and would leave you as a shapeless entitity ,the place the hi tech place where I work if you even get a drop on your body its serious stuff ,you are stripped naked ,straight into the showers and off to the hospital for calcium injections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember way back in the mists of time (we're talking 70's here) when I was at school in England they had some HF in the chemistry lab, and they had to keep it in a wax bottle. Anything else would have just been eaten away. I guess you'd never see any of it anywhere a school chemistry lab these days though.

That stuff just gives me the jeeblys.
    It eats your bones.
    I dont mind nitrating, but that compound puts the fear of Christ up me.
    Too risky.

so the conclusion is that it might well be great at cleaning the patio,

but is more dangerous than smokin a fag while soaked in petrol .

A lad once told me that the chemical that farmers use to clean milking parlours
    is vary good at cleaning outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

So, here we have a lad looking for a rare, toxic and corrosive gas to clean his patio with, and his(hopefully bright) mate is adding the Flouride to our drinking water. I don't know wether to laugh or be afraid. You could always try rubbing the patio with uranium, or is it jeyes flouride you are looking for. When I saw the title, I half expected the username to be OsamaB. :D

• Advertisement

and maybe some zyklon B.

High test peroxide cleans concrete a treat if you spill it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hydrofluoric Acid will happily kill you.. and munch through some glass for afters..

You don't get many videos of people 'messing' with it, because it is easy to have some serious health issues through mishandling it.

dunsandin wrote: »
    So, here we have a lad looking for a rare, toxic and corrosive gas to clean his patio with, and his(hopefully bright) mate is adding the Flouride to our drinking water. I don't know wether to laugh or be afraid. You could always try rubbing the patio with uranium, or is it jeyes flouride you are looking for. When I saw the title, I half expected the username to be OsamaB. :D

I'm after having a fantastic laugh at this reply. I really needed that. Priceless.

Ok, I must have got the name wrong or else my friend in the county council is trying to kill the whole population of West Limerick. I was sure he said fluorine. So is it fluoride he gave me? He put it in a 7-Up bottle and warned me not to get it on my hands or someone mistake it for being 7-up. Needless to say I used it straight away on the toilet and it ate away the limescale that was built up pretty quickly. I actually saw him putting it in a pond to clean the rocks and they were sparkling in the space of a minute. No animals/fish were in the pond mind you. If there were they would have been clean as a whistle I'd say.

I think I'll just take the advice of the post near the end there and go with something less corrosive and that won't end up burning away my paving. Sorry to disappoint but I'm no relation of Mr OBL.:D

High test peroxide cleans concrete a treat if you spill it.

where can i get this?

If you want to clean paving can you not just powerwash it?

don't like wasting water.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

This thread reminded me of Willie O Dea being interviewed. Just about no information content but very entertaining banter all the same.

backboiler wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of Willie O Dea being interviewed. Just about no information content but very entertaining banter all the same.
    A bit like your comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Nah, mine's missing the entertainment part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement