Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any places in Galway to get a free Internet connection?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Otherwise, are there any cheap places? I know there was an internet cafe near GPO where you could bring in your laptop and connect, but it's beeen closed down. Internet cafes seem to be dropping like flies. Also, NTL are a bunch of cowboys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A few free here
    http://thoughtwax.com/sandbox/galway-wifi/
    http://www.trustive.com/hotspots/Ireland/Galway/
    http://totalhotspots.com/directory/ie/2345255-wifi-galway
    Also, NTL are a bunch of cowboys.
    Please try to be more constructive in your criticism, and relevant.
    What does NTL have to do with you wanting free internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

NTL cut off our signal for no apparent reason and it's been gone a week now. When we rang them up they gave some weak excuse about someone else's signal messing with ours. They're being distinctly unhelpful.

Thanks for those links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

all mc donalds have free wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055879336

there was a good few suggestions here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

In Fagans bar in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The cottage in salthill, kappa-ya on middle street and supermacs in the shopping centre are a few places off the top of my head ... I find that most modern-ish pubs have got free wifi, just ask the staff for the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

all mc donalds have free wifi

Not exactly, McDonalds westside charge, or at least the did last month.

McDonalds on the Headford Rd is free, as is SuperMac's and Subway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

lots of Eircom WEP wifi signals around, their fault they haven't upgraded them to WPA etc :rolleyes: (my animosity towards Eircom is solely due to their Mary O'Rourke-directed share scam (got my parents) and their 'rip them off at every opportunity cos there are lots more mugs out there' business plan :mad: )

bar that, ask in the bars, lots of them now have WiFi if you're decent enough to buy a pint or two

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

<if OP wants to learn how to hack wifi he has to figure it out for himself, thx biko>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An tobar nua on Dominick street.

Free coffee refils too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

MacSwiggans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

NTL cut off our signal for no apparent reason and it's been gone a week now. When we rang them up they gave some weak excuse about someone else's signal messing with ours. They're being distinctly unhelpful.

Thanks for those links.

Read up on WiFi.
    Read the manual for the router.
    Access it's admin page, check for wireless status, particularly Tx and Rx errors, RSSI or "Signal Quality".

Are there lots of other SSIDs showing up when you do a scan fore wireless networks?
    There are 3 'proper' non-overlapping channels in 2.4Ghz Wifi.
    There are waaaaaaaaay too many people with wireless routers.

Or just buy a 10m ethernet cable and solve your connectivity, performance and security issues in one go. You'll be plonked on the couch with the laptop anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I curse my ethernet cable for the simple reason it melted my computer when there was lightning 2 weeks ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

IIRC Galway Social Space have free internet, well you are expected to make a small donation but thats at your discretion. Port just off the square have free wifi too, think you would just have to buy a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IBTL

jkforde wrote: »
    lots of Eircom WEP wifi signals around, their fault they haven't upgraded them to WPA etc

Google Eircom SSID thinger
    Caliden wrote: »
    I curse my ethernet cable for the simple reason it melted my computer when there was lightning 2 weeks ago :(

I'd blame the lightning tbh. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

<if OP wants to learn how to hack wifi he has to figure it out for himself, thx biko>

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

jkforde wrote: »
    lots of Eircom WEP wifi signals around, their fault they haven't upgraded them to WPA etc :rolleyes: (my animosity towards Eircom is solely due to their Mary O'Rourke-directed share scam (got my parents) and their 'rip them off at every opportunity cos there are lots more mugs out there' business plan :mad: )

bar that, ask in the bars, lots of them now have WiFi if you're decent enough to buy a pint or two

Take your point about Eircom Im not a fan either. However many people have no idea *how to change the security settings on their modem and think that because they originally followed instructions in the eircom book that they're safe enough. Think most peoples parents

Personally I think it's irresponsible for boards.ie to facilitate hacking into other peoples wireless networks particularly in light of the recent research that found that in a 30 day period that 1000 people downloaded illegal images of children. Several were in Galway.I doubt many of these people did it via their own networks but maybe there are some people out there who resist it because they don't to use their own network and don't know how to use someone elses.

Anyway Im sure someone will promptly bite my head off over that but I think it merrited saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

chilly wrote: »
    Take your point about Eircom Im not a fan either. However many people have no idea *how to change the security settings on their modem and think that because they originally followed instructions in the eircom book that they're safe enough. Think most peoples parents

Personally I think it's irresponsible for boards.ie to facilitate hacking into other peoples wireless networks particularly in light of the recent research that found that in a 30 day period that 1000 people downloaded illegal images of children. Several were in Galway.I doubt many of these people did it via their own networks but maybe there are some people out there who resist it because they don't to use their own network and don't know how to use someone elses.

Anyway Im sure someone will promptly bite my head off over that but I think it merrited saying :)

If people have an Eircom broadband modem, the easiest thing in the world is to go into their router setup via their browser's address box (google how to), and then once in the router's setup screen click on 'Wireless' and on the next screen change the SSID to something of their liking - then WEP access via SSID won't work. This is something Eircom are not doing to their own routers in the phoneboxes.

Anyways, there're plenty of free wifi in the bars around town and 3G is quite cheap these days so....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jenno86 wrote: »
    :confused:

My post was edited by Biko, a mod, because it was against the charter..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Using another person's net connection and justifying it that they should have secured it better, is like taking someones TV and claiming it's ok cos they left a window unlocked. Or to put it another way, what rhymes with hacker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IIRC Galway Social Space have free internet,

Closed ages ago.

Lots of cafes around town have free-if-you-buy-coffee internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Using another person's net connection and justifying it that they should have secured it better, is like taking someones TV and claiming it's ok cos they left a window unlocked. Or to put it another way, what rhymes with hacker?

except if it's totally unsecured.

which must mean they WANT you to use it. Otherwise they'd have set up a password.

Xiney wrote: »

which must mean they WANT you to use it. Otherwise they'd have set up a password.

Maybe or it could be one of these scenarios...

A) Assuming they know how, or are familliar with the tech. Some people out there had trouble understanding VCR's.

B) Connecting to an unsecured network is not a great idea cos WHY they want you to use it is a more relevent question. An unsecured network might as well be a dark van with "sweeties inside" scrawled in paint accross the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EBONY00

Found Morgans on Forster Street quite a good place to access Wi-fi, its quiet enough during the day and the seats are generally comfortable. I understand your frustrations with NTL, I have them in my place, enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

What about pointing out to the person they left their door wide open?

Or pointing out to the window company their window locks are faulty and are easy to bypass?

That is originally why these methods for WEP decryption were developed/perfected. To show up laziness and make the software and companies that produce it better. The ethical argument is for another day/forum.
    The point is free internet is all around, as well as the info on how to obtain it, whether its given or stolen is for ones own conscience to decide.

In answer to the OP, any café/shop that has a "Free WiFi" sign up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Xiney wrote: »

Cool, just go over and knock on their door and ask first.

Sorry didn't realise ethics had no place on boards. But there is no such thing as "free" internet any net connection costs it's owner. A business that offers "free wifi" doesn't do so out of the goodness of it's heart it does so to attract custom, a person who's network is not secured properly is doing so because they dont understand what their dealing with.

Back on topic.
    There are loads of pubs in town that offer wifi, just don't expect to go in and nurse a coffe for 4 hours while using their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

There are loads of pubs in town that offer wifi, just don't expect to go in and nurse a coffe for 4 hours while using their network.

That applies only in places with the "WiFi Available to customers who purchase/consume a certain amount of goods/services in this premises subject to a minimum amount and maximum time limit." sign. ;):p

Same places probably need a sign to remind patrons to urinate in the toilets and not on the toilet floor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Thanks for those links.

So you can't fix your own wifi? It's not their responsibility, grow up, stop badmouthing them on boards and find a friend to fix it.

Also, have you tried turning it of and on again? (no, seriously).

Advertisement