Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soyuz TMA-19 June 15 2010

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:16am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In a taste of things to come:eek: Soyuz TMA-19 launches to the ISS Tuesday at 22:35 Irish time with two NASA astronauts and one Russian cosmonaut.

soyuz-tma-19.jpg

ynotdu will you be on site in Baikonur to cover the launch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Does their takeoff path go over Ireland by any chance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Does their takeoff path go over Ireland by any chance?

Nah they Launch from Baikonour which is in Kazakhstan. The fligh path take them Northeast out over Russia towards the Pacific ocean. However the ISS is visible in Ireland on Wednesday morning at 03:36 for about 4 minutes and again Thursday morning at 02:30 for a minute and 04:03 for 4 minutes. Soyuz is due to dock with the ISS at 23:25 Irish time Thursday night. So if you are up on any of the two nights you should see the Soyuz following behind the ISS. Hopefully times will be available here
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Yup i'm here in Baikonor already Beeker,You can see Me wearing the cap at the roll-out which by tradition always starts at exactly 06.30 in tribute to Vostok 1 and Gargarin.
    I.ve been SO busy what with cleaning up after S Korean Rocket explosions.Then off to OZ to recover return pods and a quick flight to Baikonor:eek:

462728main_image_1689_946-710.jpg

It's a sad state of affairs that You have been reduced to starting Soyuz threads:p

Actually the Soyuz launch's i have seen are exciting enough and when visual is lost,it switchs to views of the Cosmonauts while the Soyuz is still ascending.
    two things of note one of the crew is a Tweeter who has already posted some great pics,the last one i have seen he titled "Our Chariot awaits" It was a view of the Soyuz on the pad.

Also kind of sweet is the fact that the Female Astronaut already aboard the ISS had as a very Young girl a Schoolteacher by the name of Christa McAuliffe.

I wonder since the collapse of Atheist Soviet Union are they allowed to say "God speed Soyuz TMA-19 at Lift-off?:)

NASA TV usually begin coverage half an hour before launch.

Actually here is NASA's Twitter page with great photos of this mission so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/sets/72157624071218639/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Yup i'm here in Baikonor already Beeker,You can see Me wearing the cap at the roll-out which by tradition always starts at exactly 06.30 in tribute to Vostok 1 and Gargarin.
    I.ve been SO busy what with cleaning up after S Korean Rocket explosions.Then off to OZ to recover return pods and a quick flight to Baikonor:eek:.
    :D:D:D

It's a sad state of affairs that You have been reduced to starting Soyuz threads:p.
    Just practice for the bleak post shuttle future:(

Also kind of sweet is the fact that the Female Astronaut already aboard the ISS had as a very Young girl a Schoolteacher by the name of Christa McAuliffe..
    Wow I did not know that, how cool:)
    I wonder since the collapse of Atheist Soviet Union are they allowed to say "God speed Soyuz TMA-19 at Lift-off?:).
    Sure I always use the term "God Speed" and I dont believe in any gods or santa or pink elephants.....well maybe pink elephants do exist:confused:
    NASA TV usually begin coverage half an hour before launch.
    I'll be there:)

• Advertisement

Crew boarding the Soyuz

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238509;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238510;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238515;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238514;image

Hey they get to get a crew patch too.Foul !

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=210896;image

How's this for a drawn to scale Shuttle v a Soyuz!
    My little Soyuz:)

120px-Space_Shuttle_vs_Soyuz_TM_-_to_scale_drawing.png

Nice they are bringing a Watch belonging to Amelia Erheart,the female Astronaut wanted to remember her!

How's this for a drawn to scale Shuttle v a Soyuz!
    My little Soyuz:)

120px-Space_Shuttle_vs_Soyuz_TM_-_to_scale_drawing.png

Nice they are bringing a Medal belonging to Amelia Erheart,the female Astronaut wanted to remember her!
    Shuttle is in a whole different league to the Soyuz.
    May not be able to catch the launch due work in the next hour but fingers crossed:)

• Advertisement

NASA TV starting coverage soon. I like the way they show a photo of a Shuttle launch in the caption:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238561;image

Beeker wrote: »
    Shuttle is in a whole different league to the Soyuz.
    May not be able to catch the launch due work in the next hour but fingers crossed:)

Of course it's in a diferent leauge to a Shuttle,It has been flying since 1966,is the most used Spacecraft and it,s not retiring!:p

Fingers crossed that You see it:)

Of course it's in a diferent leauge to a Shuttle,It has been flying since 1966,is the most used Spacecraft and it,s not retiring!:p

Fingers crossed that You see it:)

:) Out of historical interest the ill fated Soyuz 1 was launched the day I was born..April 23 1967:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238569;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238570;image

The 'Cosmovan':)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238500;image

And here it sits crew onboard on the very pad Yuri Gargarin launched from

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238556;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238558;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238575;image

I wonder did they make the traditional wee-wee on the bus wheels:D

Beeker wrote: »
    :) Out of historical interest the ill fated Soyuz 1 was launched the day I was born..April 23 1967:)

I KNEW You were bad news!:)

I KNEW You were bad news!:)
    :D:D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::eek::p

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238579;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238580;image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Anybody got a link to a stream? Nasa TV is messed up for me.

Nate

Edit:- 's cool I got it to work.

They have only lost four Cosmonauts in all those flights.Soyuz 1 as You said, and NASA's Lucky number 11,was not lucky for all three on Soyuz 11 found dead when the recovery crew opened their hatch.
    Capsule decompressed during re-entry.
    Still quite a safety record though.!

Anybody got a link to a stream? Nasa TV is messed up for me.

Nate

Edit:- 's cool I got it to work.

Its jumping for me aswell, :mad:

They have only lost four Cosmonauts in all those flights.Soyuz 1 as You said, and NASA's Lucky number 11,was not lucky for all three on Soyuz 11 found dead when the recovery crew opened their hatch.
    Capsule decompressed during re-entry.
    Still quite a safety record though.!
    Yeah that was in 1971 after the first Soyuz flight to a space station, Salyut 1

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238585;image

Also they just don't know how to energise like NASA TV coverage of a Shuttle launch do they?:(

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238607;image

Also they just don't know how to energise like NASA TV coverage of a Shuttle launch do they?:(
    Just not the same...can't get excited by it:cool:

Just get to see the launch but will have to leave just after it.:)

• Advertisement

My God they use a "launch key" to launch it:eek: 4 mins to go

Advertisement