Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soyuz TMA-19 June 15 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    Just get to see the launch but will have to leave just after it.:)

Mrs Beeker will be pleased about that!:D

All is GO at T-3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238639;image

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Mrs Beeker will be pleased about that!:D

All is GO at T-3
    :D:D:D Lucky girl:D:D:D

The soyuz always seems to go on time. Never hear of a delay:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238647;image

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238651;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238653;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238655;image

Got to go!:)

Safely now in zero G and solar panels deployed,always good news.
    No more manned launchs in the World before Autumn:(

Well unless the Chinese have a surprise for us!!!!!

Oh well I will have to Cheer on Spain tomorrow in the World cup as i have them in a Sweep!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Crew of the ISS watched it all on TV!:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238676;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238695;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238694;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238693;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238692;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238675;image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The soyuz always seems to go on time. Never hear of a delay:)

Their launch criteria seems less strict than that of a Shuttle. Higher cloud tolerance and less impact from wind sheer. It's actually amazing the Shuttle gets away at all given all the factors that have to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

It's just not the same..... the noise when SSME's and the SRB's ignite, you just know that there's serious power there.

With this, it's meh :(

Let's just say I'm never likely to have a Soyuz rocket taking off as my wallpaper.

djhaxman wrote: »
    It's just not the same..... the noise when SSME's and the SRB's ignite, you just know that there's serious power there.

With this, it's meh :(

Let's just say I'm never likely to have a Soyuz rocket taking off as my wallpaper.

I love spaceflight,no matter who is launching stuff but as you say everything else seems pretty lacklustre compared to a shuttle launch. The unique shape of the shuttle and it's propulsion system give it such a wow factor compared to Soyuz/Delta/Atlas etc.

Live TV coverage of Soyuz docking has just started on NASA TV with docking still due for 11.25 PM Irish time.

docing took place at 11.21 pm four minutes ahead of schedule

This now brings expedition 24 aboard the ISS up to six crewmembers until the three aboard already depart on the Soyuz TMA-18 which is their lift home.

When they depart the Commander changes to this newly arrived crew and mark the start of expedition 25.

TMA-20 will launch about two weeks later bringing expedition 25 up to a six person crew again.

This was the 100th launch in support of the Space Station since the building of the ISS began.

This is the first time Two women have been on the ISS togethar on a long duration mission.

It took place on the 27th anniversary of the first flight of an American Woman into Space aboard a Space Shuttle.

Her name was Sally Ride,She is still with NASA and now holds a very high posistion there.

The docking took place over Argentina.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238609;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238840;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238844;image

Docking port on the ISS right in the crosshairs of the Soyuz docking mechanism.LOS for the actual moment of docking six minutes later.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238862;image

Hey look who turned up at the post docking Press Conference,He's OMNIPRESENT like Mike Massimino!:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21148.0;attach=238880;image

Hey look who turned up at the post docking Press Conference,He's OMNIPRESENT like Mike Massimino!:)

Mike is probably after sneaking on to the ISS to welcome them with a camera in their face!:pac:

Great coverage ynotdu! You should take it up full time:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Mike is probably after sneaking on to the ISS to welcome them with a camera in their face!:pac:

Lol LL, Yeah Mike Massimino and the expression 'In Your face' do seem to 'dock' togethar just nicely,don't they?:)

While i have it copied ready to paste,have You seen 'Your baby' 129 given the MAX-Q treatment? worth the loading time and something You surely would treasure.downloadable to keep too!

http://www.maxqent.com/main.php?q=sts129video001-brand-new-start.html

Great coverage ynotdu! You should take it up full time:)

What do You mean "I Should"?
    friggin is full time since i met You Critters!:D

What do You know a Russian crewmember swore in English during Live coverage!:eek:

I caught the ISS pass at just aout 02.30{standing on a high wall,clutching onto a pole for dear life,people shouting at Me "Don't Jump"}

It was awesome,truely awesome,Like about 3 planet venus merged into one, a good long view from it's appearance to its fade out.was on heavens above as a 150 second pass but i swear it seemed like about ten minutes!
    extra special by knowing the welcoming ceremony was going on, and well if ever there was a tribute to the STS well that sight was it!!!!!!............and superlative and superlative and superlative...............:):):)

Lol LL, Yeah Mike Massimino and the expression 'In Your face' do seem to 'dock' togethar just nicely,don't they?:)

While i have it copied ready to paste,have You seen 'Your baby' 129 given the MAX-Q treatment? worth the loading time and something You surely would treasure.downloadable to keep too!

I think i have that saved on my Laptop somewhere,never get tired of watching it though. Their videos are always excellent.:)

• Advertisement

All the MAX-Q videos are fantastic, never get tired of watching them:)

Nice bit of history went up on the Soyuz to the ISS.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-061710a.html

Doug Wheelock has started posting pics from the ISS.:)

118378449.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1277075222&Signature=143xRFB9X2BZk7MN96Z%2B%2F93E4Us%3D

http://twitpic.com/1yh9e9/full

lord lucan wrote: »
    Doug Wheelock has started posting pics from the ISS.:)

118378449.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1277075222&Signature=143xRFB9X2BZk7MN96Z%2B%2F93E4Us%3D

http://twitpic.com/1yh9e9/full

Here is Doug Wheelock page to follow by computer:

He is known on Twitter as Astro_Wheels{think there might be an @ before Astro to follow him on Twitter}

Looks like he wants to share it all with us Earthlings at least as much as Sochi did!:)
    http://twitter.com/Astro_Wheels

on the 28th of June the crew of Soyuz TMA-19 sucessfully undocked from the docking port they had docked to upon arrival and redocked to another of the four docking ports available on the ISS.

This procedure was carried out in order to accomodate a Russian built re-supply vehicle called Progress which not only brings much needed everything from letters from home and clean underwear to the six person crew,but also is used to give the ISS a minor boost into a higher orbit{All near Earth objects without an occasional boost will de-orbit and burn up in the atmosphere}

The Progress launch will be covered live on NASA TV on wednesday.
    It will bring all the four available docking ports on the ISS filled with Russian built Spacecrafts.Two Soyuz and two Progress in the medium short term.

This should be the last time a docked Soyuz should have to carry out the unnescessary dangerous procedure of undocking a Soyuz and redocking it to the ISS as Spacewalks starting on July 28th by the crew of the ISS are intended to put the final touch's to the newest docking port making it fully functional.

The four ports might sound like more than enough but at almost all times Two will have Crew emergency Soyuz Capsules attached and the third by a progress.

until Shuttle retirement a bit of a juggling act will have to go on because of what NASA call a 'Beta angle cut out'{in English the ISS Solar panels do not generate enough power for the Station+Shuttle+two docked Soyuz and one progress supply Craft.

The massive upload and download weights possible to be carried on one single Space Shuttle launch,will it is hoped be replaced by The ATV resupply{up to now launched by an Ariane V launcher}

The Shuttle upload Capacity will also have to be supplemented by more Progress re-supplys than already take place.

on top of that the only once launced but highly succesfull Japanese HTV re-supply vechicle will also have to continue to launch and dock without problems in order to keep the ISS at its regular crew compliment of six.

Progress.ATV and Htv upload weight capacity still do not match what a single Shuttle can achive in one go.
    If there should be a failure the Crew of the ISS would have to be reduced to three until a solution is found.

station-news-100-12.jpg
    Space station crew to re-position Soyuz
    iss-unity-soyuz-earth-lg.jpg
    disclaimer: image is for illustration purposes onlyby Staff Writers
    Washington (UPI) Jun 25, 2010
    The crew of the International Space Station is preparing to move a docked Russian spacecraft to a different research module, a mission control official said.
    The Soyuz TMA-19 will undock Monday from the Zvezda module and dock with the Rassvet research module in a 28-minute maneuver, RIA Novosti reported.
    "The crew, comprising Russian cosmonaut Fyodor Yurchikhin and U.S. astronauts Douglas Wheelock and Shannon Walker, is carrying out a three-hour training session Â… in preparation for the maneuver," the official said Friday.
    The Soyuz crew joined other members of the ISS crew, Russian cosmonauts Alexander Skvortsov and Mikhail Korniyenko, and U.S. astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson, on June 18 when the Soyuz TMA-19 docked with the orbital station. The Soyuz-TMA, the most recent version of the Soyuz spacecraft family, was designed under the U.S.-Russian joint program on the ISS. The TMA version first flew to the space station in 2002, RIA Novosti reported

Also a Node 4 to be launched in 2013 by Americas Military launch Vehicles is under discussion.{Nodes are basicly the backbone of the
    ISS upon which modules,storage for spares etc are added to...
    Hmmmm.......... Russia plans to launch another section of the ISS
    in 2012 even though NASA declared the ISS 98% complete when Node 3{Tranquility}and Cupolla were fitted on STS-130!:confused:

May'be common sense might be prevailing and woo-hoo perhaps
    a new Space Race!

Link below confirming sucess of the Soyuz change of docking ports.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/06/soyuz-tma-19-relocated-iss-discuss-node-4-addition/

This is just too cool not to post!:cool:,one progress heading to the ISS whilst the 2nd one before it is heading to burn up on the way down.ralf-vandebergh-2Progresses_1277993571.jpg?PHPSESSID=4kjl2c04psmclr919p0s6vfst4

and here is a good read on what Progress M-06M which launched on wednesday and is to dock today {Friday 2nd} at just before Six PM Irish time.{NASA TV have promised coverage and it will be in orbital Daylight}
    I know it aint a Shuttle launch,but Hey beggars can't be choosers:)

http://spaceflightnow.com/station/exp24/100630progress38p/

and here is another really cool one taken June 22nd of the ISS with the still attached Progress M-05M 383ormt

Observation from this morning during an 83 degrees North pass of the ISS and shows a nice view of the docked Progress M-05M at the Pirs docking compartment Also first result of experiments with 25%(!)extended focal length up 6000mm.

Ralf Vandebergh

The Progress is at the moment in serious trouble,Telemetry has been lost and it is off course,Crew on the ISS are trying to regain control and dock it manually,NASA are saying the Progress has 'missed' the Station,

Currently live on NASA now,NASA saying docking aborted at least for this orbit,but they are in serious trouble at the moment!

This is from a Camera on the progress module,It should be showing the ISS,but all it is showing is itself.
    MCC Moscow are scrambling to see if something can be done but the Progress is 3 Kilometres off target.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21562.0;attach=239709;image

Only just seen this. Normally i pay no attention to Progress flights as they're pretty much bulletproof. Interesting to find out what sent it off course.

• Advertisement

Not official Yet from Moscow,But NASA have said the docking is aborted for at least today.
    The Solar panels of the ISS have to be reconfigured to supply it with enough power.

Mission Control who have as i was typing also confirmed an abort for at least today and are trying to send commands to the Progress to make it aim its Solar panels properly at the sun while they troubleshoot.
    a Camera onboard the ISS has just caught sight of Progress way off course and still drifting.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21562.0;attach=239715;image

Advertisement