Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Kitchen" formerly "Paolo's Pizzeria" in Kilcullen

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Anyone ordered take out from here recently only the service has gone to hell altogether...

Last night I placed an order, was told 10 mins, arrived over and was told it would be ready in another 10 mins.. When I showed I was unimpressed the 'helpful' person that took my order replied "Well there's nothing I can do hun" ('hun' appears to be this person's every 2nd word). When my order finally did arrive (20 mins later) it was in 2 foil trays which are ideal for serving/transporting pizza :-(

Add this to the fact that when you place and order and try use the old menu (a lot of the items on the menu are the same) you are told "oh we have a changed our menu, hun". Yet when you arrive to pick up the order and ask for a copy of the new menu you are told "we're still waiting for them to arrive from the printers, hun"..

Emm. Its not rock science people.. Dont change the f-in menu until you get new ones printed !

One ex-customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

interesting. heard some awful reports on the other side of the business too - the riverside - total disarray when a friend stopped in for a quick bite 2 weeks ago, wonder what is going on.
    i have always enjoyed the food from both sides - not that i have eaten in the riverside too often.
    that girl's other fav word is chick, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Yep, from what I could see they share the same kitchen as the "riverside" .. A case of too many cooks...

And yes I got one or two "chick" references....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 okrfc

Had the best eating experience for a long time in The Kitchen last week. A meal with a glass of wine for €20. Friendly local staff served the table. I'd say give it another visit

Must have been a once off okrfc... When I was there yesterday evening there was one guy doing his nut as he had been told his order would be ready in 10 mins yet he was still there after 15 mins waiting.. To make matters worse his mates were texting him the score from the German match which had expected to catch..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

lynski wrote: »
    that girl's other fav word is chick, btw
    She used to work in the chemist too. Fairly disconcerting to be buying medication and feeling like crap and being called Chick. :D

Have to say I don't like it at all. It's over familiar and makes me feel a bit uncomfortable :o

RE: The Italian Kitchen, Their pizza is amazing! There is not a whole lot of choice on the menu so I wouldn't order from there often. But when I do, I'm generally happy.

• Advertisement

Oh yes don't get me wrong.. Their pizza is great (due to the fact that they use Tipo 00 flour which is the real deal) but just the whole staff/ delay/ being served take away pizza in an foil tray didn't make the experience enjoyable. The tray wasn't even big enough to hold the pizza so it was squeezed in to make it fit :-(

I think this 'chick' also used to work in O'Connells at one stage?

Cheers
    jayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Only had good experiences in both The Kitchen and Riverside, the latter now at reasonable prices compared to when it was Pauls. And the waitress using "chick" and "hun" is a bit annoying but it just seems to be a habit. She used to work in one in the chemists. Never had take out though so can't comment on that.

I remembered this thread from a while back and wanted to post again to update the experience.
    I have been there twice in the past month and both times were very enjoyable.
    The menu is a bistro type menu, limited and similar to next door, the portions on most of the mains are generous and the food is great. 2 courses with a glass of wine for 20 euros is super value. Desserts are reasonable at a fiver each and the house wine is nice.
    The waitress is smart, and it really makes a different to services, she competently handled a table of 14 on her own with charm and attentiveness this week.
    It is good to see somewhere turn around like that and we will be going back again.

Well I was there this weekend and will never ever darken their door again. It was a complete disaster. After planning a dinner for 12 people who travelled to be there, having booked 2 weeks in advance - requesting a specific table, I confirmed the day before and then my sister called that morning to arrange champagne for when we arrive we were told there was no record of our booking.

We were given the option to go into the italian part (dressed up to the nines and expecting a proper meal) or sitting at a table for 8. We took the table, was not given an apology and had to call almost every time we needed service. The food was great though.

When we were seated at the smaller table in the front of the place they suddenly found our booking. So I asked if we could move to the table we had actually booked, suitable for our party size, and was told we couldn't as thy had now seated other people at it.

I called the manager yesterday to complain properly (I didn't want to do so in front of all my guests) and was told that the booking was taken for friday instead of saturday, this was following 3 calls including one on the sat morning. She also claimed to have called me friday night - even though I had not set foot outside the door, and there were a few of us in the house, none of us recieved a call.

It was very embarrassing to be standing in the doorway and told we can't come in as we don't have a booking. Just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

okrfc wrote: »
    Had the best eating experience for a long time in The Kitchen last week. A meal with a glass of wine for €20. Friendly local staff served the table. I'd say give it another visit

It should be noted that OKRFC (Old Kilcullen Rugby Football Club?) has only two posts promoting two Restaurants.

The other one mentioned is the Hanged Mans in Milltown, owned by a businessman who was previously based in Kilcullen.......

I haven't eaten in either in over a year, but then (2009) they were the more more expensive of local eateries! Mgt may have changed but the memory persists.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missmelo

I have just come across this thread as i was curious about this place, but all i can see is people putting one girl down, yes she used to work at these places and is a very nice girl to come across, she is very good with customers.

And while buying medicine in a chemist what would you like to be called.

Everywhere has teething problems when they first start off so maybe that should be taken into account before ordering anywhere, so at least you have an idea what your getting yourself in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Ah hun , is that you posting on behalf of yourself:confused:

>Ah hun , is that you posting on behalf of yourself

:-)

I originally posted this a while ago and since then I have not set foot inside the door. Even though I crave a pizza once or twice a week I know the pain & frustration in dealing with the staff & Paolos' so I just lob one into the oven.

jayo

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Try Apache pizza in Newbridge , 2 medium for 19quid. Only 10 mins away from you. Savage

will do dave,

Cheers
    jayo

missmelo wrote: »
    I have just come across this thread as i was curious about this place, but all i can see is people putting one girl down, yes she used to work at these places and is a very nice girl to come across, she is very good with customers.

And while buying medicine in a chemist what would you like to be called.
    No there are 3 posts commenting on her serving style. Either way, she didn't work in the chemist very long. As for what I would like to be called when in a chemists.... surely you can see that being called hun or chick is not appropriate in a pharmacy, no more than in a doctors, a dentists or any other "professional" setting.

I think she was great in the pub and much more suited there.

dave45dave wrote: »
    Ah hun , is that you posting on behalf of yourself:confused:

No and if it was i would have said so, but i do know her, why do you ask?
    is it something you would do?

Whispered wrote: »
    No there are 3 posts commenting on her serving style. Either way, she didn't work in the chemist very long. As for what I would like to be called when in a chemists.... surely you can see that being called hun or chick is not appropriate in a pharmacy, no more than in a doctors, a dentists or any other "professional" setting.

I think she was great in the pub and much more suited there.

Sorry would have to disagree with you there, like i said i do know the girl, she was in the chemist a while, but i have come across other girls in customer service that called me chick, and others that would totally ignore you and make you feel like you were an inconvenience, i know which one i would prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and i really should have posted before now. Firstly, the thread has totally derailed into a discussion on appropriate salutations for greeting customers when in fact it should be about the Restaurant itself. I have been living in Kilcullen for almost 6 years now and would head down to the Kitchen every now and again for something to eat. And while i acknowledge that there has been a couple of occasions where i've had to wait an additional 5 minutes or so to take away a pizza, i have to say i find the service, the food and good value down there excellent. In more recent times the service has really picked up and they've extended their pizza menu with some lovely combinations (which works well for a pizza fan like myself).

I brought this thread up when out with a number of friends the other night and they thought after reading it that it was highly misrepresentative of what the restaurant is now like. Some friends go there as couples, some have families and kids and they all love the atmosphere / food / child friendliness and good value down there.

I know this post is a bit long but i personally think people are too quick to post up negatives on an internet forum and not many people take the time to post up the positives. For every unhappy customer, i'd bet there are a huge number of satisfied customers but like i said... people usually come on line to give out and rarely to give praise. I for one have been a customer there for a number of years now and i will continue to be a customer there as long as it's open. And for those that seem to be giving out, it seems most, not all but most of them haven't been down there in quite a while, but i'd definitely recommend to give it a go.

Thats my tuppence worth anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed. Bring the thread back on topic. If you want to discuss greeting ettiquette do it elsewhere.

I'm not comfortable with people discussing one individual either. If you want to bitch and gossip, do it via PM.

• Advertisement

i have to say i find the service, the food and good value down there excellent. In more recent times the service has really picked up and they've extended their pizza menu with some lovely combinations (which works well for a pizza fan like myself).

I brought this thread up when out with a number of friends the other night and they thought after reading it that it was highly misrepresentative of what the restaurant is now like. Some friends go there as couples, some have families and kids and they all love the atmosphere / food / child friendliness and good value down there.

I know this post is a bit long but i personally think people are too quick to post up negatives on an internet forum and not many people take the time to post up the positives. For every unhappy customer, i'd bet there are a huge number of satisfied customers but like i said... people usually come on line to give out and rarely to give praise. I for one have been a customer there for a number of years now and i will continue to be a customer there as long as it's open. And for those that seem to be giving out, it seems most, not all but most of them haven't been down there in quite a while, but i'd definitely recommend to give it a go.

Thats my tuppence worth anyways.

My first time in the kitchen was shortly after opening and I thought it was lovely, really lovely food, staff and even the background music was great. So a few weeks ago, maybe 2- 3 months I don't remember exactly (before the party in the riverside which afaik is under same management?) we brought another 2 couples there and were disappointed to find that the service was very very slow. I thought that was fine we could put up with it as the food was fab the first time.

I ordered a vegetarian dish - it arrived with chicken in it which I took a bite of. I called a waitress and asked for a glass of water and for her to take the dish as it was not what I ordered. I was very polite as I worked in a restaurant and I understand that it was not her fault. She didn't respond, walked away, came back with a menu to "show me" that it clearly says it has chicken. Without my glass of water. Needless to say it does not say chicken on the menu. She called another waitress over to discuss the fact that the dish "usually has chicken in it doesn't it". The other waitress took the dish and came back with another - which at this stage I did not want - without a glass of water. I ended up spending much of the evening vomiting. No sign of an apology either. While I understand most people will not understand the severity of the problem, veggies will, to order a dish specifically shown as vegetarian, be handed a chicken dish, then questioned about it being my fault or not for ordering it in the first place.:confused:

The rest of the food was "ok" - I didn't taste myself but not one of us were fully happy with our dish.

Then there was my experience, written about above, with the riverside - again a sub par experience and management telling lies to excuse themselves. :mad:

So I'm glad, the cleverone, that you and your group of friends had such good experiences there, but I can promise you that I am not misrepresenting what happened either time in any way. You seem to think that just because people are not giving it favourable reviews that we are here simply to moan. If you read other threads in the forum you will see that most of them are favourable about restaurants. I have on occasion rang places where we got great service to thank them following the evening and will always say to a waitress at the end of a meal if it was really good. :) Like you, I think it's as important to comment on the good as it is on the bad.

This is not about one person being happy or not, both times we had bad experiences we were with a group, so I personally know at least 16 people who would not return there.

If eating out in Kilcullen and you want a reasonable meal in a friendly atmosphere, I'd recommend Bardons, we eat there regularly and are 100% happy every single time. For something a bit more special you can't beat fallons. But I'd stay well away from both the Riverside and the Kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

You seem to think that just because people are not giving it favourable reviews that we are here simply to moan.

Absolutely not. I fully appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion and i do see other favourable comments on other restaurants, but in general people log online more to complain than praise. And i do accept as well that the service you had down there was obviously not the greatest on both occasions but personally i've never had a problem down there.
    If eating out in Kilcullen and you want a reasonable meal in a friendly atmosphere, I'd recommend Bardons, we eat there regularly and are 100% happy every single time. For something a bit more special you can't beat fallons.

Absolutely. Bardons Food is excellent and Eddie does a great job in there. Likewise Fallons have a gorgeous menu and very affordable lunch menus as well.
    But I'd stay well away from both the Riverside and the Kitchen.
    I fully understand why you would say that given both your experiences but i would go to this restaurant maybe 5-6 times a year over the last few years and have never had any problems. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Likewise Fallons have a gorgeous menu and very affordable lunch menus as well.
    I love the fact that Fallons show on the back of their menu where their food comes from, and it's mostly local places. As far as I remember a lot of their food is organic yet they manage to charge reasonable prices - more places should do this. Supporting local farmers and charging reasonable prices for really really good food - you can't ask for more.

Whispered wrote: »
    I love the fact that Fallons show on the back of their menu where their food comes from, and it's mostly local places. As far as I remember a lot of their food is organic yet they manage to charge reasonable prices - more places should do this. Supporting local farmers and charging reasonable prices for really really good food - you can't ask for more.

I think you will find that Fallons are not alone in using only local ingredients, The Riverside/The Kitchen and Bardons are also great supporters of local producers.
    I have had mixed experiences in The Kitchen and in Fallons. I would go back to the Kitchen quicker as the last 3 times were brill. I have not eaten in Falons in over a year and am in no rush as they are so expensive for what is sometimes mediocre food. Bardons is great, but I rarely take my children to pubs so it would not be top of my list.
    Aren't we lucky to have such choice? My home town has no eateries at all and the next large town has a chinese and an indian and that is it.

No I wasn't aware that they use local suppliers. But I just looked at their website and see that they have a very good site listing their suppliers. It's great to see businesses supporting each other.

I would have agreed with you on fallons up until a year go or so. Their service has improved dramatically and the food is consistently great. I'd recommend you try it again.

Yes I've said it loads of times to my OH - we are so lucky to have that sort of choice on our doorstep.

We gave The Riveride another shot last weekend and I still have pretty mixed reviews - but I'm not sure if it's due to the fact I wasn't expecting much and I was very tried.

I found the tables very close together, which I hadn't noticed before. It was not very comfortable at all, I found the place very very hot. I haven't felt so packed into a restaurant since the old days of eating out on valentines day (we've since learned to NEVER go out on valentines day :D) although I think this was just the tables we were at as the rest of the place seemed roomy.

Service was fast and friendly and I was delighted to see that they had included some more veggie options on their menu. The ricotta and spinach tortellini starter was fabulous. Really really nice and I would return to get that again. My husband had the goats cheese bruschetta (so we could share) and again it was lovely. A bit heavy on the cheese but that's a good "complaint" really.

My main course were the grilled veggies with mash, the dressing was really lovely. While it didn't blow me away, it was tasty and filling. I had plenty of choice of more exciting dishes too. My husband ordered the Nolans mixed Grill. I think he ate his meat quota for a week in that 1 meal. Fantastic to see local businesses support each other like that and all reports say it was very tasty.

A glass of beer and a half bottle of merlot brought it all to approx €70.

I was knackered tired going, so that may have a bit to do with it, but the heat and the close vicinity to the other diners sort of let the food down. All in all, despite a nice meal, we left underwhelmed again. I think our next time we will request a table near a window when booking, or just insist on waiting for a table which is not on top of another one. We will go back again though and to be honest after my earlier experiences - I didn't think I could be persuaded.

Dont mean to nit pick on this one guys but the original title of the thread was about the pizzeria. I know both these businesses are in the same building and shared the same kitchen but the level of service differed greatly. I suppose this is why the Pizzeria is now closed. I have eaten in The Riverside recently. Found the food ok. Bardons is still better by a long shot.

jayo99 wrote: »
    the level of service differed greatly.
    I have to disagree, I found the service in both to be on a par with each other when the pizza place was open.

Stop nitpicking :p

Agree with you about bardons though. Always perfect. I've never had a bad meal there.

Advertisement