Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appalling education - and it's acceptable?

• 14-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi All - I work in one of the "blue chip" multinational high tech companies in Ireland. While we have some of the best and brightest people working here, it sometimes irks me quite a bit that a lot of them do not have a good command of the english language - especially when it comes to spelling!

How in god's name did these people qualify with honours degrees?

Some examples that make me have the "duh" moment at work:

Seeing people who can't differentiate between their, there or they're.
    Apostrophes being placed everywhere - just in case.
    And worst of all - people using BIG words, without knowing the meaning or how to spell it correctly!

Anyone else got the same experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

My friend, you seem to be seeing the speck in your brother's eye, without noticing the the log in your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

My friend, you seem to be seeing the speck in your brother's eye, without noticing the the log in your own.

I agree. The thread title is appalling indeed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Rumbled - although i dont buy the christian approach :)

deman wrote: »
    I agree. The thread title is appalling indeed. :rolleyes:

Oops ... their is a fine example where people should mind there own business - theyre theyre.

Notice the difference?

• Advertisement

deravarra wrote: »
    Rumbled - although i dont buy the christian approach :)

Clearly, otherwise you'd have said "Christian" and wondered "How in God's name did these people qualify with honours degrees?"

However, homophones aside, I can't understand how they have spelling problems. Doesn't everyone use an automatic spellchecker at work these days for reports, etc?

Clearly, otherwise you'd have said "Christian" and wondered "How in God's name did these people qualify with honours degrees?"

However, homophones aside, I can't understand how they have spelling problems. Doesn't everyone use an automatic spellchecker at work these days for reports, etc?

Some do, others don't. But a spell check will not tackle the "there their theyre" issue ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Some do, others don't. But a spell check will not tackle the "there their theyre" issue ...

The spell check in MS Word will correct the misuse of 'there', 'their' and 'they're' if the 'check grammar' box is checked, although it gets other things wrong. It is also important to use the UK English version.

The spell check on the message window here did correct 'theyre' (in your quote), which should be 'they're'. I don't use it very often, although it seems fairly good for spelling but doesn't appear to correct bad grammar.

The Raven. wrote: »
    The spell check in MS Word will correct the misuse of 'there', 'their' and 'they're' if the 'check grammar' box is checked, although it gets other things wrong. It is also important to use the UK English version.

The spell check on the message window here did correct 'theyre' (in your quote), which should be 'they're'. I don't use it very often, although it seems fairly good for spelling but doesn't appear to correct bad grammar.

I agree - but if the person doesnt know what they are looking out for, they will simply ignore it and continue sending their appalling acknowledgement of an inadequate education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I agree - but if the person doesnt know what they are looking out for, they will simply ignore it and continue sending their appalling acknowledgement of an inadequate education

Yes, you are correct there;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I thought this would be apt: (from here)
    [COLOR=blue]Eye halve a spelling chequer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]It came with my pea sea[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]It plainly marques four my revue[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Eye strike a key and type a word[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]And weight four it two say[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Weather eye am wrong oar write[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]It shows me strait a weigh.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]As soon as a mist ache is maid[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]It nose bee fore two long[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]And eye can put the error rite[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Its rarely ever wrong.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Eye have run this poem threw it[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]I am shore your pleased two no[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Its letter perfect in it’s weigh[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]My chequer tolled me sew.[/COLOR]

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Maybe the spell checker is the root of the problem. Too many people totally depend on it and a lot of them can't even tell whether it's an American spelling or British spelling.

It's like, how many people actually remember telephone numbers nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I tend to be the spell checker for my colleagues. I'm older and learnt the mechanics.

Yes, you are correct there;)

I'll grant you the apostrophe isn't there in "doesn't" - BUT the spelling of acknowledgement is not wrong - according to wikipedia and a few online dictionaries it's a matter of choice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

On the subject of spell-checkers, I have noticed that a lot of recent documents have an incorrect comma before the word “which” when it is being used to introduce a defining relative clause. It’s mildly irritating.

I believe this arises from the fact that the grammar checker in MS Word doesn’t like the use of “which” for this purpose, because the convention in US grammar is to use “that” for defining relative clauses and “which” only for non-defining relative clauses.

As a result, people type a perfectly correct phrase like, for example, “The policy which we adopted last year has been effective.” They get a squiggly green line under this, and Mr Gates invites them to change it to either “The policy that we adopted last year has been effective,” or “The policy, which we adopted last year, has been effective. They then plump for the latter option, when the intention of the original sentence written is often the former.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'll grant you the apostrophe isn't there in "doesn't" - BUT the spelling of acknowledgement is not wrong - according to wikipedia and a few online dictionaries it's a matter of choice ;)

I wonder if Flutt was questioning the use of the word rather than the spelling. Here's the sentence again:

They thing they are writing is not an acknowledgment of an inadequate education, is it? It is surely a result of an inadequate education.

Edit: "illustration", "example" or "demonstration" - would one of those words do you?

As a result, people type a perfectly correct phrase like, for example, “The policy which we adopted last year has been effective.” They get a squiggly green line under this, and Mr Gates invites them to change it to either “The policy that we adopted last year has been effective,” or “The policy, which we adopted last year, has been effective. They then plump for the latter option, when the intention of the original sentence written is often the former.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If nobody else has noticed it, I'd say it is because no business or government department in Ireland has had cause to use any of those phrases for a very long time indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If nobody else has noticed it, I'd say it is because no business or government department in Ireland has had cause to use any of those phrases for a very long time indeed.

Granted!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wonder if Flutt was questioning the use of the word rather than the spelling. Here's the sentence again:

They thing they are writing is not an acknowledgment of an inadequate education, is it? It is surely a result of an inadequate education.

Edit: "illustration", "example" or "demonstration" - would one of those words do you?

I would add that the use of 'send' without a secondary object is (at best) confusing. Specks and beams indeed - this kind of ill-conceived pendantry is cringeworthy, to be honest.

Ill-conceived pedantry might be a good title for this entire category.

Is there an area of boards.ie that is devoted to the celebration of English and all its variants rather than a forum for people who seem to enjoy pouring scorn on anyone who doesn't speak the way they do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This one is intended for the former purpose; Spell Czechs was set up for the latter.

This one is intended for the former purpose; Spell Czechs was set up for the latter.

No wonder it's private!

Advertisement