Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whers Summer ??

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭

Watching the weather for the week ahead the forecaster was all excited about the charts and forecast for this week with very warm and settled weather.
    The latest forecast form Met Eireann today does not bear this out now. What happened.

Today
    Mostly dry today with a mix of cloudy periods and sunny spells. However there'll be some scattered light showers in places too. Moderate northerly breezes and highest temperatures of 15 to 20 degrees, coolest in the north and warmest in the south.
    Tonight

Tonight will be dry with clear spells and some patches of mist or fog. Lowest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees.

Tomorrow
    After any early mist or fog clear, Tuesday will be dry and bright with good sunny spells. Highest temperatures of 16 to 21 degrees with light northerly breezes.

Outlook
    Tuesday night will be dry with clear spells and some patches of mist or fog. WEDNESDAY will be dry with good sunny spells and light breezes. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees. Patchy light rain or drizzle will develop in the west on Wednesday night. THURSDAY will be dry in the eastern half of the country. Showers will affect west Munster, Connacht and west Ulster. It will be a bit cooler with temperatures reaching between 16 and 21 degrees. FRIDAY, SATURDAY and SUNDAY will be mostly dry with sunny spells. There may be one or two light showers here and there at times. It will be warm with temperatures reaching between 19 and 24 degrees. Through the week winds will be mostly light to moderate northeasterly. There'll be some patches of mist or fog at night and temperatures will fall to between 8 and 12 degrees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Temperatures of 24 degrees is nothing to be complaining about . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Temperatures of 24 degrees is nothing to be complaining about . . .

If you were here in the West in 13 Degrees, Northerly winds and drizzle you might complain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wheres this myth that Summers in the West are 24c anyways. The average daytime temperature is only 14 to 17c for June. Every SUMMER. So Summer is here. Look out the window at 10pm and its bright. Thats Summer. Look at swallows . Theyr Summer. Mist. Thats Summer. In the West our Summer is controlled by the Atlantic more than the rest of Ireland. Unless there is an East or Southeast wind Summer is cool and misty a lot of the time.

pauldry wrote: »
    Wheres this myth that Summers in the West are 24c anyways. The average daytime temperature is only 14 to 17c for June. Every SUMMER. So Summer is here. Look out the window at 10pm and its bright. Thats Summer. Look at swallows . Theyr Summer. Mist. Thats Summer. In the West our Summer is controlled by the Atlantic more than the rest of Ireland. Unless there is an East or Southeast wind Summer is cool and misty a lot of the time.

Who said anything about a myth, I was only saying what was forecast yesterday, as a matter of fact he said the best temps would be in the West. Last Summer in case you forgot we hit 30 degrees in May and a bit of June. It is not panning out at present as was forecast yesterday thats all I was saying nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seems alright to me so far.

/sunny south east ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Who said anything about a myth, I was only saying what was forecast yesterday, as a matter of fact he said the best temps would be in the West. Last Summer in case you forgot we hit 30 degrees in May and a bit of June. It is not panning out at present as was forecast yesterday thats all I was saying nothing else.

Uh, no we didn't.

(Except maybe in Coleraine... :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,932 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you were here in the West in 13 Degrees, Northerly winds and drizzle you might complain

I'm in the West and it's about 19c out, the skies are blue with a few clouds dotted about the place. It was cooler around midday alright but it has certainly picked up...

Lovely weather for football training this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes it turned out to be grand in Sligo up to 18c.

No what I mean by myth is that a lot of people, maybe not u storm10, expect the temperatures to be in the 20s for lots of the Summer. Then when we get say 3 days of 25c they say, heatwave, then it gets cool for 2 weeks and they say bad Summer, then the next year they say "oh wasnt last year a great Summer. Remember it was 28c!! and look at this year"

Irish people in general just tend to think the Summer grass is always greener on the other side. Except most of you educated people here !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

When there is a large flabby high pressure zone hovering around it is near impossible to predict its exact positioning beyond 3 days. High temps in the west depend on central positioning of the hp zone. Ideally, a high would be centered north to SE, via east, of the area. A repostioning of even a few miles can make all the difference.

If you read forecasts, such as the met eireann one posted, I'd look at the general trend rather than taking it word for word, as the trend is, in fairness, pretty spot on imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think so far Summer is going better than it was over the past 3 years, altho last week and Sunday was cold,wet and horrible. Still tho we havent had any signs of an 'irish heatwave' just yet, hope we lose this northerly influence soon and get some hot and sunny southeasterlys over July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

But what is the definition of a heatwave in Ireland anyway? From March onwards, whenever there's a hint of sun, regardless of temperature, you see the women of all shapes and sizes stripping off and walking around as if they were on holidays in Turkey. Or you see blokes walking with their shirts in their hands or tucked into their trousers. It's pathetic. I've seen this when it's only 12°C, but people act like it's 32°C.

For God's sake women, cover up, especially those who are members of what I call the F.L.A.B. (Fat Lardy Arms Brigade - you know the ones, with the big fat pink triceps!) :rolleyes:

Rant over

In Fairness summer has arrived in the West today, 23 degrees showing on my machine yet Met Eireann is showing 15 degrees in Galway on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Is there not an "Azores High" coming our way at the moment . Gave rise to the 1979 and 1995 Heat waves .. Could we be in luck this year ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

mars bar wrote: »
    I'm in the West and it's about 19c out, the skies are blue with a few clouds dotted about the place. It was cooler around midday alright but it has certainly picked up...

Lovely weather for football training this evening.

Its not going to be the same everywhere, sure last summer it was 26c here and i went down to the port and it was only 10c and foggy!!:eek:

Su Campu wrote: »

Rant over

Please, keep going! Very much agree with you on that score. Don't mind the F.L.A.B thing so much but regarding what I call the "L.A Syndrome" whenever the sun decideds to come out in March and April, then spot on.

It really annoys me when people just assume that because the sun is out and there is a relative warmth in the air, then out come the baggy shorts, the white/cheaply designed teeshirts, the raga/****e hardcore music (man) belching from 'da ride'; the shades that serve no purpose except for how they look. It seems like people just suddenly think they live in Sunset Boulevard or something. Sickens my hole to be honest.

Another thing that has always bugged me, ever since I was a child, is why people flock to the beach when it does become nicely warm (or even if it looks warm but isn't)? They are all winter waiting for warmth, then when it comes, they want to cool down. I lived in Salthill whilst I was in college, lovely place, but a nightmare during summer. Traffic, volumes of people, hot, bothersome glare, explotative prices in shops and hotels.

Thank God I came back to the bogs! :D:D

Anyone looking for some real summery weather in Ireland should look out for a set up something similar to this:

117065.png

(taken from the latest GFS run at 700hrs out! :pac:)

Warm air being drawn in from the near continent with a high to the NE. Warm, but unstable uppers, giving the threat of thunderstorms but always bringing real solid heat and really beautiful summery skies.

Someday...:(

Advertisement