Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain -v- Switzerland, Wed 3PM RTE & BBC HD

• 14-06-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

a99.jpg
    Spain -v- Switzerland
    Match 16 - Group H
    Durban - Durban Stadium
    Wednesday 16 June, 2010
    3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Early bird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

mike65 wrote: »
    Early bird?

catches the worm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pity pp couldnt give me odds on redout starting this thread :pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    pity pp couldnt give me odds on redout starting this thread :pac:

I'd have given ya evens.

Now to write up lots of news.

Iniesta should feature after picking up a knock in last weeks trouncing of Poland in Murcia.

Torres on the other hand is not expected to feature according to Del Bosque.

Puyol could retire from international football after the world cup.

Frei could feature despite damaging his ankle prior to arriving in South Africa - his presence will be paramount for the Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Could see the Swiss taking a point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Could see the Swiss taking a point!

I can see them roll-ing over.

Ill get my coat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I can see them roll-ing over.

Ill get my coat!

They'll break them like a Spanish omelette :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Knives will be sharpened in the national media if they lose their opener! :cool:

Frei and Behrami out for the Swiss according to Hitzfeld.

Big blow that - things just got a bit more difficult.

• Advertisement

Paquirrín is a doubt for Chile's opener.

He should get some abuse at the Spain game.

Spain have arrived in Durban ahead of their opener against the Swiss.

About 7,000 fans expected to make the trip.

Adidas are working to release a new batch of shirts after demand surpassed supply.

The whole squad trained yesterday without incident including Iniesta which is good news.

Hitzfeld "I think Spain is the best team in the world today. Imagine the difficulty for a modest team like Switzerland to confront the most powerful national team on the planet and understand the differences that may exist in the opening game between the two.

"Spain has the best midfield in the world, but also the best forwards and we could also discuss whether the best defence and the best goalkeeper. So there is not only one aspect or one particular area of the field, but the sum of all."

"The really good thing about the Spanish side is that it combines perfectly efficiency with brilliance. And wer'e not just talking about those on the field but the bench too. Imagine a superstar like Fernando Torres as a substitute, as happened in the recent friendly in Paris."

"the most powerful national team on the planet".

Redout's line up

Casillas

Puyol
    Pique

Capdevila

Ramos

Busquets

Xabi Alonso

Xavi

Iniesta

Llorente

Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

redout wrote: »
    Paquirrín is a doubt for Chile's opener.

He should get some abuse at the Spain game.

I know he's fat and all but why the strong abuse?

He was really good for Zaragoza in 2010.

Osu wrote: »
    I know he's fat and all but why the strong abuse?

He was really good for Zaragoza in 2010.

Its more banter and said only in jest than anything.

He aint so much fat as oddly shaped.

El Chupacabra would be more fitting :pac:

ROFL

Catalan press reckon:

Casillas, Ramos, Puyol, Pique, Capdevila, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Silva, Villa and Iniesta with Mata taking his place if they choose not to risk him.

I went with Llorente as Del Bosque said two days back that he doesnt reckon Torres will play but he trained today no problem as did Iniesta. I cant fathom Torres on the bench if fit.

In other Group H news I just read that Honduras Julio Cesar de Leon has been ruled out of the World Cup with a leg injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Hopp Schweiz!!

Heart says Switzerland, head says Spain :(

To follow on from my last post about Honduras Julio Cesar de Leon withdrawing from the tournament through injury we now have a little piece of World Cup history as Jerry Palacios has now been drafted in as cover and joins his fellow brothers Johnny and Wilson. So there ya have it folks - 3 brothers all in the same World Cup squad for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

What are the chances of Silva of starting this one, he usually starts to give the Spanish some width doesn't he?

What are the chances of Silva of starting this one, he usually starts to give the Spanish some width doesn't he?

He will start would be my guess though what Del Bosque done in training today has Villa on his own up front with no partner.

They have so much talent around the park it beggars belief.

• Advertisement

Their squad actually scares me. The talent they have to bring on is ridiculous.

He will start would be my guess though what Del Bosque done in training today has Villa on his own up front with no partner.

Hes gotta start with Villa and Torres up front surely, but Silva usually gets a start, hope he does.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Their squad actually scares me. The talent they have to bring on is ridiculous.

I would go as far as to say that this 23 man squad is without doubt the strongest I have ever seen in football. Certainly in my lifetime.

Goalkeepers:
    Iker Casillas ( 29, Real Madrid)
    Pepe Reina (27, Liverpool)
    Victor Valdes (28, Barcelona)

Defenders:
    Raul Albiol (24, Real Madrid)
    Alvaro Arbeloa (27, Real Madrid)
    Joan Capdevila (32, Villarreal)
    Carlos Marchena (30, Valencia)
    Gerard Pique (23, Barcelona)
    Carles Puyol (32, Barcelona)
    Sergio Ramos (24, Real Madrid)

Midfielders:
    Xabi Alonso (28, Real Madrid)
    Sergio Busquets (21, Barcelona)
    Cesc Fabregas (23, Arsenal)
    Andres Iniesta (26, Barcelona)
    Javi Martinez (21, Athletic Bilbao)
    David Silva (24, Valencia)
    Xavi Hernandez (30, Barcelona)

Forwards:
    Jesus Navas (24, Sevilla)
    Juan Mata (22, Valencia)
    Pedro Rodriguez (22, Barcelona)
    Fernando Llorente (25, Athletic Bilbao)
    Fernando Torres (26, Liverpool)
    David Villa (28, Barcelona)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm going to go for 2-0 to Spain. I think Switzerland will put up a good fight but Spain will just have too much class for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Catalan press reckon:

Casillas, Ramos, Puyol, Pique, Capdevila, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Silva, Villa and Iniesta
    I cant fathom Torres on the bench if fit.

Somebody has to be dropped. The lineup above has a lovely balance. I wouldn't want to bring in a second striker, dropping one of those midfielders would mess up the shape and wouldn't play to their strengths - having more and better creative midfielders than anyone else.

I would go as far as to say that this 23 man squad is without doubt the strongest I have ever seen in football. Certainly in my lifetime.

Yeah same as that. It just oozes quality. Imagine the value of the squad...

Hes gotta start with Villa and Torres up front surely, but Silva usually gets a start, hope he does.

I think he needs to dump Xabi Alonso as there is no need for him in my opinion as Busquets is in the defensive midfield roll which Senna use to occupy and Alonso is only slightly in front of him. The problem for Alonso is that he has Xavi in front of him whereas in the Real Madrid team it is he who is the midfield maestro. There is no need for Alonso as he sits too deep in my opinion and it just doesnt add up if Busquets is also deep. I think drop Alonso and revert to 4-4-2 as the 4-3-3 seems to leave Torres out with Iniesta and Silva occupying the wide roles.

I would personally go with:

Casillas

Puyol
    Pique

Capdevila

Ramos

Busquets

Xavi

Silva
    Iniesta

Torres
    Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think he needs to dump Xabi Alonso as there is no need for him in my opinion as Busquets is in the defensive midfield roll which Senna use to occupy and Alonso is only slightly in front of him. The problem for Alonso is that he has Xavi in front of him whereas in the Real Madrid team it is he who is the midfield maestro. There is no need for Alonso as he sits too deep in my opinion and it just doesnt add up if Busquets is also deep. I think drop Alonso and revert to 4-4-2 as the 4-3-3 seems to leave Torres out with Iniesta and Silva occupying the wide roles.

I would personally go with:

You mean completely change the team that beat Poland 6-0? pfft. Right.

They'll be a 4-3-3, reverting to a 4-5-1 without the ball.

Iniesta, Silva & Villa up top, Busquets, Alonso & Xavi in midfield. Pique, Puyol, Capdevilla & either Arbeloa or Ramos, with Casillas in goal obviously.

Casillas
    Arby/Ramos
    Puyol-Pique
    Capdevilla
    Alonso

Xavi
    Busquets
    Silva
    Iniesta
    Villa

You mean completely change the team that beat Poland 6-0? pfft. Right.

They'll be a 4-3-3, reverting to a 4-5-1 without the ball.

Iniesta, Silva & Villa up top, Busquets, Alonso & Xavi in midfield. Pique, Puyol, Capdevilla & either Arbeloa or Ramos, with Casillas in goal obviously.

They usually have 4-4-2 with Torres up front alongside Villa.

Recent friendlies over the past number of months have seen a change in tactic but that was more down to the fact Torres wasnt in the squad because of injuries with Liverpool.

I cannot see them dropping Torres and going 4-3-3 on a permanent basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They usually have 4-4-2 with Torres up front alongside Villa.

Recent friendlies over the past number of months have seen a change in tactic but that was more down to the fact Torres wasnt in the squad because of injuries with Liverpool.

I cannot see them dropping Torres and going 4-3-3 on a permanent basis.

I definitely can, Spain are not a 4-4-2 team. The fact that Del Bosque was willing to drop the fantastic Torres was one of his strengths in 2008. Maybe, just maybe he will do it for the group stages. If it is successful and he sticks with it. it could cost him in the long run,

JPA wrote: »
    I definitely can, Spain are not a 4-4-2 team. The fact that Del Bosque was willing to drop the fantastic Torres was one of his strengths in 2008. Maybe, just maybe he will do it for the group stages. If it is successful and he sticks with it. it could cost him in the long run,

are you nuts ? Spain practically always go 4-4-2. Sure thats how they played throughout Euro 2008 and is how they played in the world cup qualifiers! Why in the name of god would they make a permanent change now of all times.

What are you talking about drop Torres 2008 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

are you nuts ? Spain practically always go 4-4-2. Sure thats how they played throughout Euro 2008 and is how they played in the world cup qualifiers! Why in the name of god would they make a permanent change now of all times.

What are you talking about drop Torres 2008 ?

I think I have a false impression of Spain in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Ugh, really hope Busquets doesn't start. He's a filthy cheat and will put a sour note on an otherwise impeccable Spanish team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Wheres Fabregas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

skelliser wrote: »
    Wheres Fabregas?

In South Africa.

Hope Navas gets some playing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For me 4-3-3 with Torres on the bench is Spain's best system for me, I'd have.

Casillas
    Ramos
    Puyol----Pique
    Capdivela
    Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Navas
    Silva
    Villa

Starting Xavi and Iniesta in the middle is playing to the strengths of probably the two best central midfielders in the world, why stick one out on the wing when you have an abundance of top class wingers?

Villa >>>> Torres so it's a no brainer who starts up front there for me.

Frisbee wrote: »
    For me 4-3-3 with Torres on the bench is Spain's best system for me, I'd have.

Casillas
    Ramos
    Puyol----Pique
    Capdivela
    Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta
    Navas
    Silva
    Villa

Starting Xavi and Iniesta in the middle is playing to the strengths of probably the two best central midfielders in the world, why stick one out on the wing when you have an abundance of top class wingers?

Villa >>>> Torres so it's a no brainer who starts up front there for me.

Thats a decent line-up alright. Villa >>>> Torres???? You're having a laugh, right? Villa is an excellent striker no doubt, but he's neither 'better' than Torres, nor that much better than Torres.

If you're gonna have Xavi & Iniesta in the middle, its a very tough decision between Busquets and Alonso. Two different style players, but with 3 in the centre, I really wouldn't see the need for Busquets. I'd rather see them play with Alonso, they move the ball around better.

I don't see Navas getting a start. Still reckon the formation/starting lineup I posted is the one he'll go with today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Frisbee wrote: »

Villa >>>> Torres

Exaggerate much?

I'd like to see:

Alonso

Xavi

Iniesta-

---Silva

Torres

Villa

Alonso is perfectly capable of sitting deep. He's a hard worker, and a very underrated defender. He'll do as good a sitting job as Busquets, but offer much more on the ball as well.
    It's basically the team that won Euro, minus Senna plus Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Thats a decent line-up alright. Villa >>>> Torres???? You're having a laugh, right? Villa is an excellent striker no doubt, but he's neither 'better' than Torres, nor that much better than Torres.
    Exaggerate much?

I said 'for me,. Don't get me wrong Torres is a fantastic striker and he'd walk into almost any team on the planet. But Villa is the better player for me and at international level has a much superios goalscoring record to Nando.

I don't see Navas getting a start. Still reckon the formation/starting lineup I posted is the one he'll go with today.

Navas, won't start, that line-up was jsut the one I personally would like to see, the one you posted is probably closer to what will actually happen.

If you're gonna have Xavi & Iniesta in the middle, its a very tough decision between Busquets and Alonso. Two different style players, but with 3 in the centre, I really wouldn't see the need for Busquets. I'd rather see them play with Alonso, they move the ball around better.

I would seem a given it will be 4-3-3 today given what Del Bosque done in training yesterday so no plaudits there.

Whoever thinks Spain play 4-3-3 as their usual formation obviously doesnt have a clue and doesnt watch them play at all regularly.

• Advertisement

I would seem a given it will be 4-3-3 today given what Del Bosque done in training yesterday so no plaudits there.

Whoever thinks Spain play 4-3-3 as their usual formation obviously doesnt have a clue and doesnt watch them play at all regularly.

Who said anything abot their 'usual' formation? This thread is about today's game V Switzerland, dont be getting ahead of yourself.

Also, I see no reason for Spain not the change their 'usual' formation to 4-3-3, based on how well its been going, and how well it may go during the WC.

Who said anything abot their 'usual' formation? This thread is about today's game V Switzerland, dont be getting ahead of yourself.

Also, I see no reason for Spain not the change their 'usual' formation to 4-3-3, based on how well its been going, and how well it may go during the WC.

Please, your reasoning was dont change a team because they beat Poland 6-0. That with all due respect is the greatest load of bollix. What about against Saudi Arabia just two weeks ago with a 4-3-3 that struggled to a stoppage time winner ? Also to say "completely change the team" about my post was absurd as you named 10 of the 11 players which I had already named!

Please, your reasoning was dont change a team because they beat Poland 6-0. That with all due respect is the greatest load of bollix. What about against Saudi Arabia just two weeks ago with a 4-3-3 that struggled to a stoppage time winner ? Also to say "completely change the team" about my post was absurd as you named 10 of the 11 players which I had already named!

I'm not talking just about Poland. Its the way they've been paying for ages due to injury's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Casillas

Ramos
    Puyol
    Pique
    Capdevila

Alonso(DM)

Xavi(Deep playmaker)

Fabregas(CM/in the hole))

Iniesta(CM/in the hole)

Villa
    Torres

With Iniesta and Fabregas interchanging, and possibly Villa and Iniesta going out wide at times and Fabregas second striker then.

Several Spanish papers reckon Mata will get the nod over Iniesta who is only back from injury and will not be risked.

The media also going 4-1-4-1.

Confirmed Iniesta starts :D

España lineup:
    Casillas; Ramos, Piqué, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva; Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hurrah Torres on the bench....delighted he's not being risked.:)

49936662.jpg

Good chap Silva, nice to see ya in the starting 11

• Advertisement
Advertisement