Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain -v- Switzerland, Wed 3PM RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Great performance by the Swiss. Grichting, Inler and Benaglio were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Navas was cr@p imo. HE looked lively and got into good positions, but I don't think any of his crosses or corners made it past the first man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kenny Sansom?

he cut his golden locks and lost his power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

torres was pure ****e. Many eff ups but one where he glided the ball past the last defender comfortably for what would have been a tap in but hit the ball too far ahead.

Why was Pedro brought on? He isn't even played for Barca a lot of the time, and I didn't see him on any wing when he did come on. Fabregas should have started the first half with Torres, and when they saw Torres was crap Silva should have been second striker to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Hitzfeld will get plaudits for his tactical nous. I just despise anti football. The end does justify the means but it makes the sport a very very poor one.

Then it's up to Del Bosque and Spain to figure them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Catalan obscenities being uttered here too, but the older guys are well used to it - "We've been here before. All too often"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Frisbee wrote: »
    Navas was cr@p imo. HE looked lively and got into good positions, but I don't think any of his crosses or corners made it past the first man.

Ya,same, I was waiting for him to cross the ball a lot of the time, he just seemed to feint a lot, and it'd end up with the Swiss having the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hitzfeld will get plaudits for his tactical nous. I just despise anti football. The end does justify the means but it makes the sport a very very poor one.

So what are they supposed to do? Chase an open game knowing they have no chance? You wouldn't say that if you were Swiss either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Catalan obscenities being uttered here too, but the older guys are well used to it - "We've been here before. All too often..."

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Scien wrote: »
    There's all sorts of Catalan obscenities being yelled in the office. It's brilliant. Welcome to our world, Spain.
    Except the swiss didnt cheat.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

CorkMan wrote: »
    Why was Pedro brought on? He isn't even played for Barca a lot of the time

He most certainly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

turly wrote: »
    Catalan obscenities being uttered here too, but the older guys are well used to it - "We've been here before. All too often..."

I thought I was the only one who remembered how Spain used to underachieve with top players in almost every major tournament - back when success was getting knocked out in the quarter finals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Boskowski wrote: »
    So what are they supposed to do? Chase an open game knowing they have no chance? You wouldn't say that if you were Swiss either.

I know that. I just hate spoiling football. If every team went out like that, would any of us even watch the sport?

Reina>Casillas

Why was Casillas going in for the ball with his feet and hot his hands?

Scien wrote: »
    There's all sorts of Catalan obscenities being yelled in the office. It's brilliant. Welcome to our world, Spain.

Your world?
    What country are you from that is also known for dominating wc games but losing out to defending masterclass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i would of brought on mata, Navas and Llorente

that automatically gives spain a plan B with the wingers crossing the ball for Llorente all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

13 out of the 32 teams failed to score in the opening matches! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Football was not the winner today!

Well thats the way you win games/tournaments. Defend like your life depends on it and catch them on a break or hope to score from a set piece.

a load of poo if ya ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

dunphy on Ramos is hilarious

• Advertisement

Football was not the winner today!

Well thats the way you win games/tournaments. Defend like your life depends on it and catch them on a break or hope to score from a set piece.

a load of poo if ya ask me.
    Or else play like Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

13 out of the 32 teams failed to score in the opening matches! :eek:

What's worse is that only 4 teams scored more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

What's worse is that only 4 teams scored more than once.

Brazil, Germany, Netherlands and South Korea then!

Boskowski wrote: »
    Or else play like Germany?

If spain were playing a team that would attack them like Germany, they would have had a better chance of scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Hmm could be a Brazil Spain round of 16

Basic summary of game:

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass LOSE BALL

Repeat 50 times

breakaway, ball ricochets in box, goal

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass LOSE BALL

Repeat ad nauseam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

bryanjf wrote: »
    dunphy on Ramos is hilarious

an impetetous headbanger he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Jesus Navas is Spains version of Aaron Lennon, great pace, can beat a player but has for the most part terrible crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I'm just in. Am I reading the score right? Switzerland 1 - Spain 0? :eek:

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Jesus Navas is Spains version of Aaron Lennon, great pace, can beat a player but has for the most part terrible crossing.

so kinda like Irelands Aidan McGeady?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Yep and also quite like Brazils Dani Alves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

DKZ wrote: »
    I'm just in. Am I reading the score right? Switzerland 1 - Spain 0? :eek:

Yes, you are reading correctly. Happy days!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭ongarite

What the opinion on Iniesta's (imaginary) injury? Is this psychological injury going to cause Spain problems for the rest of the tournament is he is picked in starting 11 again?

The RTE panel mentioned it after the game and showed the "tackle" where no contact was made with Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,816 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Brazil - Switzerland 1-0 (first half goal) in the next round? Spain is going home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Thankfully this will dampen the hype about Spain a little.

Yep and also quite like Brazils Dani Alves.

Jesus Christ. Have you ever actually watched Navas play a full game? Keeping in mind he has a handful of caps and came in late to the game, lets not insult him by comparing him to those first two twerps. And Dani Alves is a full back, not a winger.

I suppose what this game proves is that Spain are fallible and the best way of beating them is frustrating the bejesus out of them.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Thankfully this will dampen the hype about Spain a little.

Ya, put away the favourite tage and classify them as a team with eleven players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Place is going a little crazy here. Reminds me of when ireland equalised in the last minutes against germany.

Fair play to switzerland, not the most beautiful match in the world but reminds me of how greece won the euros 6 years ago. Compact strong defensive unit who takes their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

And Dani Alves is a full back, not a winger.

Did he not come on as a winger for brazil? ...maybe not:confused:

• Advertisement

Be that as it may, but he is not a winger, he is a full back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You would have been a crazy man to back the switz to win today. But their you go. Thats football.

I think the proper term would be a wing-back, ala Roberto Carlos, Cafu. He ain't a winger as he (has duties to) defends and he doesn't have a very solid defensive aspect to his game, which slightly takes away the label of a full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/16/resolute-swiss-conquer-spain/

Well that was unexpected. Spain were very poor in finding opportunities. They had no real cutting edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How has Navas got a poor end product when he is almost always consistently near the top of the assists charts?

He had a poor run today against a side who closed down space all all oppurtunities. That does not make a player "not up to it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was Arsenal v Blackburn on the international stage.

Navas was shocking when he came on. Even his corner in the last miute couldnt clear the first man. He must hav had at least 7-10 opportunities to deliver a good ball from a cross into the box and failed each time.

Navas was shocking when he came on. Even his corner in the last miute couldnt clear the first man. He must hav had at least 7-10 opportunities to deliver a good ball from a cross into the box and failed each time.

Where is Joaquin when you need him:rolleyes:

Or Vicente. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think Spain played ok...but when you're up against a team with little or no ambition, apart from "Try as hard as you can to not lose" it was always going to be hard...especially seeing as though it was their first match.

Germany were made to look good against Australia because:

1. Australia are muck
    2. Australia didn't think they were muck. In fact they thought they could compete with Germany and thus didn't play in a "not lose at all costs" kind of way.

You'd be mad to write off Spain after this...just like you'd be mad to suddenly think that Germany are champions elect just because they're the only team that have impressed so far. We all thought Argentina would win the last world cup after what they achieved in the group stages but that didn't amount to much.

Spain will beat Chile and they'll beat honduras and the plan will be back in action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement