Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain -v- Switzerland, Wed 3PM RTE & BBC HD

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Jesus Navas is Spains version of Aaron Lennon, great pace, can beat a player but has for the most part terrible crossing.

Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Spain will beat Chile and they'll beat honduras and the plan will be back in action.

I would have said Spain will beat Switzerland at 3 o clock today and look what happened. The worst part for Spain is that their confidence will have taken a knock after today but if they can rout Honduras they should be buoyed up for the Chile game.

Even with the result they still played some of the best football so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gimmick wrote: »
    Be that as it may, but he is not a winger, he is a full back.

More of a wing back, really, if you wanna be a pedant.

Denis Iwrin, Corluka, Abidal, they are fuyllbacks.

Alves, Cafu, Ashley Cole, wing backs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

:)

Send 'em home, Honduras!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Spain were undone by some crappy defending today. It probably won't be the last time. They just need to hope that their attacking football and domination of possession can make up for that flaw. Today it didn't but sometimes shìt happens. The worst thing they could do is let this result knock their self belief.

I think they did alright going forward. They created a lot of chances, just came up against a good keeper on form and centre backs who
    were great in the air today.

I don't get all the criticism of Navas. I thought he did fine. He beat his man countless times and did actually put in some good crosses too.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    More of a wing back, really, if you wanna be a pedant.

Denis Iwrin, Corluka, Abidal, they are fuyllbacks.

Alves, Cafu, Ashley Cole, wing backs.

That's just a group of full backs with differing levels of defensive and attacking abilities tbh. Pedantism about the name of the position is a waste of time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So just wanted to state that Iker has messed up yet again.

His judgement over the past two seasons has diminished beyond belief.

For the regular la liga followers will know he has become a liability in this aspect of his game.

He makes these errors in judgement that are akin to a young rookie keeper (Sometimes akin to a madman!) and not the World Class keeper he is - I literally havent a clue what has happened to him.

Only two weeks back in the warmup with Arabia he was at it again which allowed the Saudi's to score and had the media at it.

Todays decision to slide in with his feet to challenge for a ball several yards inside his own box was nothing short of moronic.

Glad to see the Spanish media have also commented on it but I am more worried about him doing it again.

I think if Mourinho had any balls he should buy a good keeper over the summer and give him some proper competition as I feel he has gotten himself into a comfort zone very similar to Raul did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Navas was shocking when he came on. Even his corner in the last miute couldnt clear the first man. He must hav had at least 7-10 opportunities to deliver a good ball from a cross into the box and failed each time.
    He did alright.

Reminded me of Nani a bit. He spent too long waiting to cross the ball in which slowed up the play and allowed the Swiss defence to organise itself. Most of the balls he did send into the box were easily dealt with by the Swiss defence as the Spanish players didn't know when the ball was coming or where it was going specifically.

Villa and Torres need to up their games big time if Spain want to progress to the knock-out stages. Simple as. I hope that they do.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus some result

Stayed up to watch it but fell asleep at half time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

redout wrote: »
    So just wanted to state that Iker has messed up yet again.

His judgement over the past two seasons has diminished beyond belief.

For the regular la liga followers will know he has become a liability in this aspect of his game.

He makes these errors in judgement that are akin to a young rookie keeper (Sometimes akin to a madman!) and not the World Class keeper he is - I literally havent a clue what has happened to him.

Only two weeks back in the warmup with Arabia he was at it again which allowed the Saudi's to score and had the media at it.

Todays decision to slide in with his feet to challenge for a ball several yards inside his own box was nothing short of moronic.

Agreed - I'm obviously biased as a Liverpool fan, but I thought, were it not for Iker being captain, Reinas form would last season would've won him the no.1 jersey tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

^I agree, that error agaisnt Saudu Arabia was crap. He is a shot shopper supreme (when they can possibly be saved) but that is only once every couple of games.

But if Reina came in he, he might not be able to command the area well as Casillas has 104 caps and the defence are well used to his commands and influence.

Valdes is up for it too, who won the Zamora trophy last 2 seasons in La Liga. (the trophy for goalie conceding least goals average per game played)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have severe mixed emotions at this result.

I was really hoping for some good Spanish attacking football, and was left disappointed.

However, somehow I managed to draw Switzerland & Uruguay in my work WC sweep... so happy enough with the two games lol :D

Advertisement