Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit charging me

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have two female rabbits, Dora and Snoopy, who are almost a year old. A few months ago Dora started acting agressively towards Snoopy (mounting her and chasing her) so we bought a second cage so they each have their own space. All has been fine between them since. A few weeks ago I was playing with Dora while she was in her cage. She was happy out until she suddenly "charged" at me. They only way I can describe this is that she kind of pounces forward with her front legs out and scrapes/pushes me with her front paws. Sometimes she makes a grunting noise too.

First it was only when I touched her toys so I thought it was a protective thing, then it started happening without reason. This morning she charged me when I tried to feed her. Until then she was happy for me to put my hand in her cage if she was looking for rubs or food but it's gotten to the point where I can't put my hand in her cage at all. She has no problem with my boyfriend putting his hand in her cage though so I'm not entirely sure it's a territorial thing.

Does anyone have any idea why she's doing this and what I can do to discourage it? If she charges me and catches me it's very painful and I'm starting to become afraid of her!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

This is common in female rabbits (well all rabbits but females can be moody because of hormones). It's cage aggression, rabbits are pretty territorial (and they can be more aggressive to one particular person). The only thing I can suggest is to get her neutered, if she isn't already. It'll make her less moody and she should be a lot friendlier and calmer and happier. If you go to a vet with rabbit experience then it's pretty safe and routine operation. If you get both girls neutered then they might be able to live together again (after a few weeks of getting them used to each other again). Unneutered rabbits often fight.

Neutering should definitely help.

Also neutering is much better for female rabbits because about 80% of female rabbits get uterus cancer by aged 4 or 5, so it's really better to neuter them. :)

Be careful in the mean time because rabbits can give you a bad bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

I agree! Get them both neutered, Uterine cancer is really common in female rabbits. And as they get older they become more and more aggressive, biting and charging. I have a male dutch rabbit, got him neutered when he was 6 months. And it's great, he's so friendly, not aggressive at all and never grunts (only when our jack russell comes to play!). Spaying your rabbit is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, have them both spayed by an experienced small animal/rabbit vet.

Both should be done at the same time so they're both recovering at the same time and their stitches heal at the same time it will take couple of weeks for their hormones to calm down afterwards but you will notice a big difference.

She could always be a bit of a grump but it all depends on her personality, rabbits are ruled by their hormones so spaying will make a difference all the same.

Check out my guinea pig website in my sig. there is a section on rabbits and you'll find info. on before and after care when neutering/spaying.

Advertisement