Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFN

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Australia at the end of the summer. I understand that I will need a TFN to get paid. Can I apply for this while in Ireland?

Looking at the gov site, there is only a form for someone "who is actually in Australia".

On this note, what's the best bank to set up an account with?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Once you arrive you can apply online and will have it in about a week - max. As for the bank Commonwealth and ANZ are the most common in Sydney anyway. You can apply through Commonwealth online and they can arrange for you to go to a bank when you arrive to pick up your card etc. When you arrive or you can just stroll into one and get it sorted 2 forms of Id visa etc needed. Personally I think Commonwealth are excellent. Internet banking is lightyears ahead of AIB anyway, contacting them is so easy also. Efpos (or could be eftpos) cards are great over here but not for buying stuff online, visa debit is handy to have for that. Hope that helps mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Hope that helps mate

Thanks! Will go for Commonwealth.

Diddler82 wrote: »
    You can apply through Commonwealth online and they can arrange for you to go to a bank when you arrive to pick up your card etc.

I'm just setting up a joint account today. Get the following warning:
    Please note: You will be asked to provide and Australian address when you provide identification documents (e.g. passport) at one of our selected branches after your arrival in Australia.

The thing is we will need to get bank cards etc as soon as we arrive, but we won't have a permanent Australian address yet. We might not have a rented place for 3 months or so as we're going rural first. Are they strict with having a documented address address when you pick up your cards?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Even the address of a hostel is fine mate. They know you wont have a fixed address.

Just make sure all your correspondence is by email so nothing is sent to the hostel - statements etc. which you can do once your account is set up with internet access etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You can also nominate the local branch as your mailing address just in case anything does get sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Applied for mine online, then rang them a half hour later and they said it would take up to 28 days to post it out to my hostel address. I told them i was starting work the next day and they looked into it a bit more for me and they give it to me straight away. Just shows ya!

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead with the applications then.

Advertisement