Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak & Kidney Pie Questions

Options
  • 14-06-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all!

Just wondering, I have a recipe for Steak and Kidney Pie:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article1933742.ece

Can I replace the steak with beef?! :o

It will only be for 2 so can I half all amounts?
    What's a bay leaf and where do I get it?!
    Would it make much difference if I left the mushrooms out?

The casserole dish I have is more a bowl not a pot, I mean I couldn't put it on the cooker but it's oven safe so would I melt the butter and olive oil in a pot or the microwave?

I apologise if these seems like the most rediculous post ever to pop up in cooking and Recipes!
    I dont normally cook but I want to do this as a treat for my fiance and can't ask him for any help as I want it to be a surprise!!!

Thanks in advance :o;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. Fair dues for making the effort to do this wonderful dish for your fiance. Best of luck!

Here's my take on your questions...
    Can I replace the steak with beef?! :o
    "Steak" is the same as "beef" - just ask your butcher for "Stewing steak". He'll know exactly what you mean.
    It will only be for 2 so can I half all amounts?
    As for halving the amounts - I wouldn't. I'd be very happy to have this reheated for dinner the following day. I'm sure your fiance will feel the same. ;)
    What's a bay leaf and where do I get it?!
    Bay leaf is a wonderfully aromatic herb that adds real depth of flavour to stews. They are literally just leaves & can be found with other herbs in the veg area in most decent supermarkets.
    Would it make much difference if I left the mushrooms out?
    Leaving the mushies out is no big deal.
    The casserole dish I have is more a bowl not a pot, I mean I couldn't put it on the cooker but it's oven safe so would I melt the butter and olive oil in a pot or the microwave?
    Fry the meat in a regular pan & then transfer to your oven-proof bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to me!

Thanks for your advice ;)

I have some of the ingredients but was going to go to Dunnes this evening to get the rest, hopefully they have it all!!

Hope it turns out ok!!!

You are very welcome. Let us know how it goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

1 more questioned!! Would it make a huge difference if I used normal butter rather than unsalted?

Thanks (again!)

Not that you'd notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement