Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Maths paper 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I've bolded the answers I have that are different to yours...

2b iv I got 4x+3y+5=0
    5b iii I got 8/17 you've put in (A/O) instead of (A/H)
    5b iv I got 240/289, what you've done there is got 2 sin theta instead of sin 2theta
    5c ii I got 39m, I think this came to something like 38.467, a lot of people rounded down to 38 after looking at the .4, but it should have been rounded upwards to 39.
    6b iv I got 1/2, I'm not too sure if i had my methodology correct here though :o

Ah NO! Those are such silly mistakes :(:( I think my 6b iv is right, I thought hard about it!! Hopefully I wont be marked too harshly for them mistakes....though my answers are wrong LOL . I guess thats number 5 which won't be counted! I'm glad I did all the Q's :cool:
    Did you round down on part B? other then that I think I got all them!

Did I round down in Q5 is it ? When I said 38 ? Ya its ment to be 39 :(
    But wooooo go us :D ( assuming that the 3 of us have'nt all made the same mistakes and gotten everything wrong :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Thought it was very easy! Here are my answers did anyone get the same?

1 (a) (i) 72 (ii) 324
    (b) (i) 195 (ii) 2.5%
    (c) (i) 121.5 pi (ii) 3.4

2 (a) 17
    (b) (i) 0=0 (ii) (5,0) (iv) 2x+3y+5=0
    (c) (i) 10 (ii) (-13,19)

3 (a)(i) 13 (ii) x^2+y^2=169
    (b)(i) (1,-4) (ii) (-1,4)
    (c)(i) (0,7) r=10 (ii) -1 or 15

5 (a) 11
    (b)(i)8 (ii) 15/17 (iii) 8/15 (iv) 1.765
    (c)(i) 27 (ii) 38

6 (a) (i) 210 (ii) 84
    (b)(i) 2/5 (ii) 3/20 (iii) 1/4 (iv) 3/8
    (c)(i) 3456 (ii) 840 (iii) 480 (iv) 360

7 (a) (ii) 32 (iii) 13.3
    (b) (ii) 46.4 (iii) 330

11 (a)(i) x+2y-4=0 (ii) x+2y-4<(or equal to)0, x>(or equal to)0 , y>(or equal to)0
    (b)(i) 160x+40y<(or equal to)2080 , 3x+2y<(or equal to)54. (ii) (0,27) (iii) (6,8)

Can't remember all the answers I got, but a lot of them look familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Did I round down in Q5 is it ? When I said 38 ? Ya its ment to be 39 :(
    But wooooo go us :D ( assuming that the 3 of us have'nt all made the same mistakes and gotten everything wrong :p)

I meant on Question 6 for the probability:/ I was stuck between 2 ways in how to do 6B probability:/ Hopefully did it right

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I meant on Question 6 for the probability:/ I was stuck between 2 ways in how to do 6B probability:/ Hopefully did it right

Oh! How did you do it?

I'll get back to you on that mate! I'll have a look now and Pm you.

• Advertisement

For B(ii) I got

10/25 +(or x) 9/25= Im pretty sure I should of done 9/24 though:/

I really can't remember:s

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

Think I should get close to 50 in 1, 2, 6, 7 and 11.
    Only thing I didn't do was part B on 3, hadn't a blue's clues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

i am tOtallly with you there.. i thought it was awful.. even though every 1 thought it was easy... im jus hoping some how ..i manage to get a C3.. uttterly sad...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Sorry not meaning to be cocky or anything but WHAT a great paper. Almost certain I got 100% on that!

Did 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11.

7 looked good but I was so sure of the others I spent the time going over them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Just on 5 C (ii), you won't loose marks for rounding it down if you were rounding off as you went and thats why you ended up with 38 like for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Viva La Cozzy

went alot better than paper one anyway..are and volume was one of the easiest questions i've seen in years...way easier than the pre...i say i got full marks in it, and i usually mess up part C in that question...I had to do so much cramming to learn most of the stuff off though, i was expecting to wake up at 7 to study this morning but i didn't wake up till 8 :/ i only got a glance in at vectors so i messed up part C...couldn't even attempt it :/ part A and B were handy though so i mot likely passed that question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

My answers:

1 (a) (i) 72 cm (ii) 324 cm ^2
    1 (b) (i) 195 m ^2 (ii) 2.5% error
    1 (c) (i) 121.5 m ^3 (ii) 3.4 cm
    2 (a) Did 2 attempts at this and got 7 units ^2 and 18 units ^2
    2 (b) (i) True (ii) (5,0) (iii) Ok (iv) 4x + 3y + 5 = 0
    2 (c) (i) 10 (ii) (-13,19) (iii) True
    Skipped 3
    Skipped 4
    5 (a) 11 cm ^2
    5 (b) (i) 8 (ii) 15/17 (iii) 8/17 (iv) 0.83 (or 240/289)
    5 (c) (i) 27 m (ii) 38 m
    6 (a) (i) 210 (ii) 84
    6 (b) (i) 2/5 (ii) 3/20 (iii) 1/4 (iv) [Attempt 1: 1/2] [Attempt 2: 8/5]
    6 (c) (i) 3456 (ii) 840 (iii) 480 (iv) 630
    7 (a) (i) Ok (ii) 32 (iii) [Attempted but no answer as such]
    7 (b) (i) Ok (ii) 48 (iii) 70 People [From memory, forgot to write down]
    9 (a) (i) 5i + 12j (ii) 13
    9 (b) (i) Ok [Might have put it in the wrong direction] (ii) Ok (iii) Ok ** Did we need to use graph paper?**
    9 (c) (i) Got 0=0 (ii) [Ran out of time - didn't attempt]

I've highlighted some ones there, could anyone confirm if I got them right or what I did wrong ? Cheers

Deaddude wrote: »
    My answers:

2 (a) Did 2 attempts at this and got 7 units ^2 and 18 units ^2

(iv) 630

** Did we need to use graph paper?**
    9 (c) (i) Got 0=0

I think I got 18 but no remender? Can't remember though. I'm fairly sure I got 630!

And 9C 100% confident its 0=0 dot product= 0 =) that R is perpendicular to S or whatever the letters were:)

And for all of 9B I used graph paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

SirDarren wrote: »
    Sorry not meaning to be cocky or anything but WHAT a great paper. Almost certain I got 100% on that!

Did 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11.

7 looked good but I was so sure of the others I spent the time going over them. :)

Completely agree. I came out so happy. It was really easy imo, but I guess its like that when you do honours for most of the leaving cert 2 years.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Delighted with it - it was almost perfect except for 3B and the probability was a bit 50/50 otherwise it was grand, really happy with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeah probability was tough, usually a bit easier i thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Much better than Paper 1 I thought. Not as tough as other years. Linear programming went well, didn't like Question 2 or 3. Other than that, pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I was pretty pleased with that paper.
    From looking at some of the answers on here they look familiar anyway.
    I did 1,2,3,5,6,11
    No major problems didn't get the last bit of 11 because I was rushing and did trig at the last minute and I got one part wrong I can remember.
    Was happy coming out much better than paper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toto14

so happy with both papers!!! should get an a :)...i dropped from honours last year tho so dont feel bad if you thought it was hard....a lot in my school werent happyish i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Had these myself. Bolded the ones that seem to differ from other people's.

1 (a)(i)72 (ii) 324 (b)(i) 195 (ii) 2.5% (c)(i)121.5pi (ii) 7.5

2 (a) 17 (b)(i)0=0 (ii) (0,-3.75) (iii) (5,0)(0,3.75) (iv) 3x -4y +15=0(Should get the marks for the latter two though, because the questions were linked) (c)(i) 10 (ii) (-13,19) (iii) True

3 (a)(i) 13 (ii) x^2 + y^2 = 169 (b)(i) (17,-4.25) (ii) (-17,4.35) (This looks wrong. Should get the marks for the second one though) (c)(i) r=10 C=(1,-7) (ii) h=15 or -1

Didn't do 4.

5 (a) 11 (b)(i) 8 (ii) 15/17 (iii) 8/17 (iv) 0.8304 (c) (i) 27 (ii) 21

Didn't do 6.

7 (a)(i) / (ii) 32 (iii) Square root of 0/20, Definitely wrong. (b)(i) / (ii) 46 (iii) 320

11 (a)(i) 2x + 4y - 8=0 (ii) 2x+4y-8<(or equal to)0, x>(or equal to)0 , y>(or equal to)0 (b)(i) 4x + y <(or equal to) 52, 3x + 2y <(or equal to) 54 (ii) (0,27) (iii) (12,0)

Anybody else get similar answers to the ones I have in bold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ThePower180

Thought it went well now. I got most of the answers that are posted up here. I read question 1(C) wrong. I thought the radius was 9 so the two answers I got were double what they were supposed to be. But hopefully I will get a few attempt marks. Overall it was a paper where marks could be picked up easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

From doing this I honestly belive I'm going to fail maths!

I did atrociouse at this,Not great with pr1 either...even told my teacher after :(

Ordinary level is far to divided tbh,I think there should be another place thats easier then pass but not as near easy as foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

11 (a)(i) 2x + 4y - 8=0 (ii) 2x+4y-8<(or equal to)0, x>(or equal to)0 , y>(or equal to)0 (b)(i) 4x + y <(or equal to) 52, 3x + 2y <(or equal to) 54 (ii) (0,27) (iii) (12,0)

Anybody else get similar answers to the ones I have in bold?

The last part is fully correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

PARARORY wrote: »
    The last part is fully correct :D

Awesome :D

3(b)(i) was just a simultaneous right?

Lot of people seem to be having trouble with it so just wondering if I thought it was easy because maybe I actually did it wrong!

Point of intersection, so it has to be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Thought it was easy compared to paper 1.
    A1 hopefully. Will post answers later/tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Philly_C wrote: »
    Thought that was a fair enough paper. For anyone who couldn't get Q3(b) I think this is right. you had to let x = 4y + 17 then sub it into x2 + y2 = 17 then just solve it and get your quadratic equation and the factorise to get x and y and thats your point. Then for the second part you could do it by translation.

That's what I did...used minus b and you ended up with one value for x...it seemed right anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Why did alot of people find Q3 (b) hard?

For part (i) do you not just let x = 4y + 17, sub that into the circles equation and find your point that way?

I did it that way and I got (1, -4)

Anyone else get this?

And did anyone do vectors? I thought the question felt a little too simple... Especially for part (b)... What you think?

That's what I did...used minus b and you ended up with one value for x...it seemed right anyways!!

Didn't use minus b formula, just factorized it.

Both values for x turned out to be -4 as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

Why did alot of people find Q3 (b) hard?

For part (i) do you not just let x = 4y + 17, sub that into the circles equation and find your point that way?

I did it that way and I got (1, -4)

Anyone else get this?

And did anyone do vectors? I thought the question felt a little too simple... Especially for part (b)... What you think?

Exact same. I can't see the difficulty really :confused:

Advertisement