Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Maths paper 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Kicking myself over some things I did.. I put 3 into the Simpsons rule instead of 5 for the width? WTF

CONCENTRATE LIKE! UGH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

cork*girl wrote: »
    Kicking myself over some things I did.. I put 3 into the Simpsons rule instead of 5 for the width? WTF

CONCENTRATE LIKE! UGH

Don't beat yourself up over it, so long as you got the formula right and method right, you actually get most of the marks.
    A very good teacher I had for a while told us that in maths, ironically, the answer isn't always the most important thing.
    I dunno I'm sure you did grand :)

But I made a really stupid mistake too in Paper 1... SO irritating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

That was simples, the polar opposite of Paper 1. I'm not one for boasting, in fact I hate (especially on here!) when people who say "ah yeah, A1 no bother" but that was a great paper and I'd say I got fairly high in it. I think I got about 5 questions spot on - 1,2,3, the graphs one and 11. The trickiest part in it all was the probability "C" part, I may have messed it up.

Q11 was great, as was Q1. The circle Q was a bit tricky at first (mainly because I haven't done many) but it turned out alright. The graph question was grand, luckily I learned how to do the standard deviation this morning!

Paper 1 will bring me down though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

For Question 3 b) i) did anyone else got (0, -4.25)? Pretty sure it's right, but would like some confirmation.

Thought it was a lovely paper :) Same as Paper 1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've bolded the answers I have that are different to yours...

2b iv I got 4x+3y+5=0
    5b iii I got 8/17 you've put in (A/O) instead of (A/H)
    5b iv I got 240/289, what you've done there is got 2 sin theta instead of sin 2theta
    5c ii I got 39m, I think this came to something like 38.467, a lot of people rounded down to 38 after looking at the .4, but it should have been rounded upwards to 39.
    6b iv I got 1/2, I'm not too sure if i had my methodology correct here though :o

I got the exact same! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

cork*girl wrote: »

CONCENTRATE LIKE! UGH

You'll lose exactly one mark for that as its just misreading a number. Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drurz57

can someone tell me, why does the 38.4 have to be rounded up to 39 and not 38?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

drurz57 wrote: »
    can someone tell me, why does the 38.4 have to be rounded up to 39 and not 38?

I was wondering that too? I rounded down :S

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I was wondering that too? I rounded down :S

Came across something like this, I think its because its 38.4, maybe the digit after 4 was 5 or higher, which means that four will go up to a 5 and that 5 will cause 38.4 to go to 39...

If you get what I mean?? :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

I don't want to sound cocky and say I got 100% or whatever but....

I got 100% ;)

Nah, it was dead, DEAD easy, but I messed up one or two little parts. That Q3 part (b) was a killer!

EDIT: Wrong Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

loocas wrote: »
    I don't want to sound cocky and say I got 100% or whatever but....

I got 100% ;)

Nah, it was dead, DEAD easy, but I messed up one or two little parts. That Q3 part (b) was a killer!

EDIT: Wrong Q.

Feel the exact same way about the 100%! :D

But can you please explain how it was a killer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Don't beat yourself up over it, so long as you got the formula right and method right, you actually get most of the marks.
    A very good teacher I had for a while told us that in maths, ironically, the answer isn't always the most important thing.
    I dunno I'm sure you did grand :)

But I made a really stupid mistake too in Paper 1... SO irritating :(

it kinda sucks that we were given all them easy formulas because they wont mark you for formulas in the log tables.
    and they wer all in it
    :(
    i found it really easy. anyone know what the radius was for 1 part c
    the only bit i didnt manage to answer was the linear programming veryyy last part to it about on graph paper show the region where income is at most 576

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I really wish I could remember if I rounded it off correctly or not?! I used the ratio of the bases to work out the angle is that ok??

I got stuck on it but came back at the end, it was actually super easy. A bit weird for a circle question, but easy.

When they're looking for the point on the opposite side of the diamater, is it just take your point and go through (0,0)?

I think I had (-1,4) or something,to start with.

garv123 wrote: »
    it kinda sucks that we were given all them easy formulas because they wont mark you for formulas in the log tables.
    and they wer all in it
    :(
    i found it really easy. anyone know what the radius was for 1 part c
    the only bit i didnt manage to answer was the linear programming veryyy last part to it about on graph paper show the region where income is at most 576

160x + 40y = 576 is the line.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I got stuck on it but came back at the end, it was actually super easy. A bit weird for a circle question, but easy.

When they're looking for the point on the opposite side of the diamater, is it just take your point and go through (0,0)?

I think I had (-1,4) or something,to start with.

That's exact it. Symmetry in the origin.

Basically reversing the signs on the co-ord. (-1, 4) becomes (1, -4). :)

SirDarren wrote: »

Yeah I got that too, but haha, I just wrote, 'working backwards, and as it is the centre (0,0) we can see the other end point is (-1,4)'

Was like a mini essay haha

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I managed to somehow screw up 2 C (iii) perfectly. We were meant to prove that something other other was in the ratio 2:5. I kept getting the ratio 1:3 (three or four times) at which point I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

OH S**T!!! Just realised I forgot to finish that question! :( Ugh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

Feel the exact same way about the 100%! :D

But can you please explain how it was a killer? :confused:

I ran through everything quite slowly out of fear of going too quick and making a balls of it (personal tendency), so when I came around to it (it's the last Q I do on P2) my brain just melted. Just stared at it for fifteen minutes without a clue before giving up.

When I went out my friend showed me how and I couldn't stop punchin' meself in the head.

But that's life. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I managed to somehow screw up 2 C (iii) perfectly. We were meant to prove that something other other was in the ratio 2:5. I kept getting the ratio 1:3 (three or four times) at which point I gave up.
    Yeah I couldn't get that to work out at all, keep going up with ridiculous answers, I'm just hoping they'll give me a few attempt marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

found that alot harder than paper one :( hopefully i did ok though...:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I got it out

Ended up with 10:25 (Divide by 5) = 2:5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

160x + 40y = 576 is the line.
    ahh why didnt i pay attention id that written front of me
    must equalities be lesthan/more than 0 or can u leave the numbr to the oppisite side of the x and y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Danger781 wrote: »
    I got it out

Ended up with 10:25 (Divide by 5) = 2:5
    I figured that was the answer by working backwards, but I just couldn't get it to work out from the equation, I think my points from the previous part were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

Well damn it anyway! Thought I did fairly well in this paper, then I came on here and seen those answers. :p
    Not sure what's up with my probability or circle answers but I was full sure I'd gotten them mostly right. :(

Ah well, onwards and upwards! Not the end of the world :)

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 missmichelle91

yay feel pretty good after that paper.. (well apart from being so tired):(
    answered everything and most stuff seemed to work out alright!
    bring on irish:confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Im pretty sure i got an A1 in todays paper, however as good as that sounds that shaggin Paper 1 ruined my grade!! RUINED!! Was fairly confident i was going to get an A2 overall......i can kiss that goodbye!!!

Advertisement