Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

angle grinder recommendations

• 14-06-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good value angle grinder to remove an old buggered u lock from one of my push bikes.

Will I get anything useful for under 30€?

Saw this one in Argos - link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Try Aldi or Lidl. Very good value and inexpensive good quality disks.

hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

take it to a garage, they'll cut it off for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the cost of the grinder is not usually an issue, its the quallity of the discs and if the right disc is being used. often with cheap grinders the discs they supply are rubbish or the wrong type for the application. you would need a steel cutting disc ass opposed to a grinding or a masonary disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

the cost of the grinder is not usually an issue, its the quallity of the discs and if the right disc is being used. often with cheap grinders the discs they supply are rubbish or the wrong type for the application. you would need a steel cutting disc ass opposed to a grinding or a masonary disc.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Aldi or Lidl had them in May so it might be a while before them get them again. Need it in the next week of so really.

Would the steel cutting disc cost me much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Nope, a 4' standard cutting disc will only be a few quid. Try and get it from a builders providers like Brooks or Buckleys though as they would be cheaper than the likes of homebase and places like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

have a 4'' metal disc here if its any use to you, in the finglas area near the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

have a 4'' metal disc here if its any use to you, in the finglas area near the m50.

Cheers for the offer. Not really out that way much though.

Anyone have an opinion on the Argos one I linked to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

That grinder in argos should be fine for what you want to do. The only thing is it comes with a metal grinding disc, not a cutting one. Go to a builders providers and get 1 or 2 metal cutting discs and you'll be fine. Depending on how tough the lock is, you may find yourself going through the discs fairly quickly, but don't worry about that, they're designed to wear down with use, unlike a saw blade.

Leave the guard on it too, the amount of grinders I've seen with the guard removed is unbelievable. One slip and you'd be in trouble! Oh, and a diamond disc (lidl and aldi do them occasionally for cheap - €8-€9 for 2) will turn it into a surprisingly capable tile cutter, if thats your thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

masseyno9 wrote: »

Leave the guard on it too, the amount of grinders I've seen with the guard removed is unbelievable. One slip and you'd be in trouble! Oh, and a diamond disc (lidl and aldi do them occasionally for cheap - €8-€9 for 2) will turn it into a surprisingly capable tile cutter, if thats your thing!

What he said , and be wary of where the sparks are going, knackered the paint on me fathers new car as a kid , by not watching out for that one

Advertisement