Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Now that Natal/Kinect has been unveiled...

• 14-06-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

Who here actually has high hopes for it?

What do you think of Natal? 75 votes

Complete facepalm!
    0%
    Sounds fantastic!
    65%
    eddhorsespooky donkeyLucious SweetoklamcgovernsmokingmanVyseOtacondor83PatricidechrisladdjkeoghEasyBoy1974Wisesmurfadrian522SmoggyBenzinoironictoasterVarikDenisoftus 49 votes
    The minority report menus are it's best/only feature.
    34%
    thegameWinterstoxofFurpantomackfifthgizmo-=al=-KorvanicaKarmafaerieUndeadstesaurusduploelabsrizzlaOptimus PrimeprivateBeavisdunworth1Nedved85Flojodocdolittle 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Me, looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Like the Sounds fantastic option... because it does sound fantastic. Until I play it though I won't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think much of it at all.

At least with the Wii you get some sort of tactile feedback from it because you're still actually holding something.

If they make games that are more about using gestures it could be interesting... such as something along the lines of Heavy Rain... but it looks like the bulk of what we're getting is action based titles and sports games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Sounds fantastic!
    A step back imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If they allow Skype to develop for and use the webcam I'll have one. Herself skypes her parents every night for half an hour, and it'd be very handy to have it built into the TV/Entertainment system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just don't care about it. I have a Wii, it does its job admirably as a novelty dust gathering device, I don't need another.

I have yet to see a single game that convinced me that motion controls are anything other than a nice little gimmick when you have a few drunk friends over.

• Advertisement

If they allow Skype to develop for and use the webcam I'll have one. Herself skypes her parents every night for half an hour, and it'd be very handy to have it built into the TV/Entertainment system.

They wouldn't allow that, kinda pointless too. Because if 2 people have 360's and Kinect then they can do voice chat, no need for a skype app. Not sure how big a party can get but I think they demod 3 way chat somewhere.

EDIT: Sure if 2 people have 360's and a Vision camera they can do that now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

I'll buy it, mostly for the minority report style dashboard control and the video chat. Also on the off chance that some developer actually makes a cool game for it, but I won't be buying any of that shovelware crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

The leaked list of games seems a tad disappointing, but I'll wait till after the MS conference to vote, or until I see some actual ingame footage other than dodgeball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No interest in it at all, I like to sit while I play games and drumming in Rock Band is as energetic as I get.

I'm sure the games will be of good quality and possibly fun but just not for me. At least it can't be any worse than the live vision camera :P

rizzla wrote: »
    They wouldn't allow that, kinda pointless too.

It's only pointless from your perspective. For us it would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Some mediocre launch titles aren't going to make me any less excited about the prospects for the device.

To put it quite simply, none of these devices will ever replace my controller, therefore when it comes to picking up a new peripheral I'll want something which actually allows me to do something different. This is why I'm more excited about Kinect than I am Move for instance.

As for the device itself, it's more the passive capabilities that I'm looking forward to such as navigating menus, interacting with puzzles and some mini-games. If these are done Minority Report style and I can also navigate the Dashboard easily with it then I'll consider the device a success. On top of this, you'll have the party games which will be more of a bonus for me.

My only concern at this point is price. If it's as expensive as the rumoured £150 then I'll be holding off on picking one up for quite awhile. Since most of the processing is done on the console itself I would have expected it to be around the £75 mark as mooted awhile back. We'll find out tonight I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm still in the same boat when i played the dodgeball game it worked really well but it is a party game and i get bored of them after 2 goes.

Ive said from the start its up to the games they develop. I havent seen anything today that makes me excited. The games ive invented in my head are awesome but if they will ever seethe light of day i doubt it. Still ill hold off untill the expo is over. But at the moment the Move is looking better simply because you can point and shoot.

But at the moment the Move is looking better simply because you can point and shoot.

I'm sure you could do that with Kinect, just make a gun with your fingers and thumb. Look silly, but not as bad a pointing a glowing dildo at the screen.

rizzla wrote: »
    pointing a glowing dildo at the screen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the PS3 controller and thought that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sounds fantastic!
    This kinect or natal or whatever its called is gonna tank with real gamers unless they figure out how to make the controls respond properly and without any lag which will be a major stumbling block for online games like Call of Duty series.
    Me personally I would like to see it work out but I'm not holding my breath

I just wonder what kind of elaborate dildo's ye guys are buying !! :p

All i want is gear of war 3 where it comes with a replica gun and you have to move into cover your self dives across the room blasting at the screen! Is that too much to ask ?

Anyway few pics and a highlight vid from the show here nothing too exciting the games are all party games bar the star wars one but they used pre recorded video (watch the star wars game the charactor pulls out his light saber before the guys moves.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pretty underwhelmed tbh. The lightsaber game looks sorta cool if they could implement it properly, but otherwise it's just more of the crappy Wii-like mini games that I don't play on my Wii anyway.

I'd agree with Gizmo - I don't intend on giving up traditional controllers anytime soon. They work, simple as that really. This technology is interesting, but until it's more than dumbed down casual games, it's not for me. When they start integrating emotion tracking, motion sensing etc... into more complex, experimental games, then I'll be interested. The possibilities are there, I'm not sure if the developers are yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If they had priced it around £50 or less then I might have been interested, but paying £100 for a gimmicky throwaway toy??? **** right off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd say we all knew that Wii-clone games were coming in their droves, and that may be fine for a while (novelty value and all). Microsoft won't mind, because there's a big market of Wii owners who might be looking to the next step this Christmas to replace the Wii that 'junior' got a few years back.

The thing that interests me most, and is likey to attract more gamers would be what they can do for games that have a hybrid control method (using a combo of the controller and Kinect). The potential to add an extra depth could be fun there:
    • Calling for the ball from CPU players, Organising a free-kick, Claiming offside in FIFA?
    • Giving directions to CPU team mates in Rainbow Six type games?
    • Fable III is using it, it is rumoured, to grab people running past you.
    • Not to mention, Milo ... Actually, on second thoughts, let's not mention Milo ... ;)
    That and the 'Minority Report' menus could be a plus (but not worth €150 yet). I guess we'll all know more by 8pm tonight, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sounds fantastic!
    Just saw one of the promo videos, was almost vomit-inducing!

It was everything I expected it to be tbh. Even from the promo video, the lag was just aweful at times. At one stage, the players avatar jumped even though the player didn't.

It's needs to be 100% accurate, or very close to it for it to enjoyable. You just have to play a game of Gears online to see what a laggy game is like to play. Kinect is just not ready to be released imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Benzino wrote: »
    It was everything I expected it to be tbh. Even from the promo video, the lag was just aweful at times. At one stage, the players avatar jumped even though the player didn't.

Lag? Did you see the Star Wars clip - the character moved on the screen before the Cirque de Soleil performer. [Hmm? Oh, he wasn't really playing it live on-stage ... ahhhhh]

I have to agree, though. All the sickly family footage with Mom and Pop running and jumping with the Kids is a bit much. We get that they're targeting the family market, it's just laying it on a bit thick.

I'm still hopeful for the potential ... Although I am probably one of the few people who owned a Sega Mega CD 32X, so my track record on potential is not exactly great. :pac:

Just saw one of the promo videos just was almost vomit-inducing!

It's needs to be 100% accurate, or very close to it for it to enjoyable. You just have to play a game of Gears online to see what a laggy game is like to play. Kinect is just not ready to be released imo.

It does work thats for certain, They use pre recorded videos in those vids for some reason. Im worried about the party games but im struggling to think of how they will use it with serious games without making it a hinderence.

I think an End wars style voice/ camera/ button control system would be brilliant. Where you can move around the war zone with the normal control pad. Then use you hand to selcet units and then tell them where to go and what to do using your mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sounds fantastic!
    Lag? Did you see the Star Wars clip - the character moved on the screen before the Cirque de Soleil performer. [Hmm? Oh, he wasn't really playing it live on-stage ... ahhhhh]:

I didn't see that one actually, just saw the one with the family playing the game where they are on a raft hitting balloons??? That was enough for me to be honest.
    It does work thats for certain, They use pre recorded videos in those vids for some reason.

Thats strange, do they not have enough confidence in it for the promo vids? I must check out the videos where they were playing the game live so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Even if its only for the interface purposes of the device I'll still buy it.
    We have to expect MS to want to sell to the wii audience which inevitable means crap loads of shovel ware stuff that the wii kids and women lap up.

However there are some serious games that could hugely benefit, as one poster already said... team action controls in rainbow six games would be excellent, golf games like tiger woods would be great! but what I really miss are proper stratagy games on the consoles, they are so few and far between and perhaps NOW they can really get on the consoles with natal Kintec.

Move will die on its a**e , its clearly a rip off wii whereas kinect is an evolution of the media, socom looks like a glorified time crisis game ffs.

Thats strange, do they not have enough confidence in it for the promo vids? I must check out the videos where they were playing the game live so.

Thats the big if, they are being so secrective and showing these pre recorded videos doesnt fill me with confidence. Dont know why they are doing it becaue ive played it and it does work they are shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

As I've said before on here soon after Natal was first announced, RTS games on the 360 is where Kinect could really shine if the dev teams put the work in.

Games like Command and Conquer, End War and Halo Wars could really open up and become more complex while remaining easy to control and mange, with added voice control that Kinect has and the basics of it used in Rainbox Six games for years even on Xbox 1 and End War last year it has alot of potential if they lay off the shovel ware and cater for the hardcore gaming market.

Another way it could be used is, the way real world SWAT and special forces teams use hand signals to give orders without speaking. You could be playing Rainbow Six whatever as normal with the controller, your squad in behind you. You could raise your hand, then your character ingame would do the same action and your team would hold. Take it as far you like really.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Sounds fantastic!
    340x.gif

yep so far so bad.

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    340x.gif

yep so far so bad.

meh, it was more intended as a proof of concept anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    340x.gif

yep so far so bad.

you saying you WOULDNT buy a star wars game where you could live multiplay lightsaber dual mates!!!!

imagine this... house party.... light saber duals .... looser takes a shot!
    Let hilarity ensue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Sounds fantastic!
    hightower1 wrote: »
    you saying you WOULDNT buy a star wars game where you could live multiplay lightsaber dual mates!!!!

imagine this... house party.... light saber duals .... looser takes a shot!
    Let hilarity ensue!

Oh it sounds great an all but all we can do at the moment is use our imagination :)

it's not executed right here yet.

Advertisement