Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving computer Knowledge

• 14-06-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im wondering if there is any way a student like me (going into 4th year secondary school) could learn stuff like programming etc.
    I have done ECDL during my transition year but I would like to learn programming better which isnt taught in my school. Im interested if anyone knows of courses or something like that. I cant find anything suitable for someone my age to learn programming.
    Or is it a case that I will have to teach myself through books, websites which I find to be very slow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you want to learn a specific language I'd say pick up a book or go online for some tutorials and have a hack (eh....probably could've used a better word) at it yourself!

For example, if you're looking in to C++ programming I'd recommend downloading Dev C++ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dev-C%2B%2B). But Google each language and you'll get tonnes of tutorials and how-to's.

(I've only touched on Java and C++. And there are editors/compilers for free on the net as freeware....I'm not too sure about Visual Basic or another language).

If you're looking for a course in something I'd go here -> http://www.cao.ie/courses.php

Happy coding!

PS: Also found this, might be of help. http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-a-Programming-Language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ECDL Does not, in any way, really prepare you for Programming.

2 Things you need to look at: A programming language (I recommend C, C++ or C#), and Computer Architecture.

Well the language you want to learn strongly depends on what you want to do. Most gaming and generic computing uses C; web based applications use Java. And theres a ****-ton of languages in-between for a myriad of things. However, I dont reccomend learning in lolcode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Overheal wrote: »
    ECDL Does not, in any way, really prepare you for Programming.

The only thing I learned is to hate Microsoft lol
    2 Things you need to look at: A programming language (I recommend C, C++ or C#), and Computer Architecture.

Well the language you want to learn strongly depends on what you want to do. Most gaming and generic computing uses C; web based applications use Java. And theres a ****-ton of languages in-between for a myriad of things. However, I dont reccomend learning in lolcode.

I have been learning c but I find it hard and slow to do it all by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd consider Python to be an excellent introduction to programming. It's relatively easy to learn and understand, and powerful enough that it's a valuable real-world language. You can start off with basic coding and progress to OOP (essential in modern programming).

If you discover that you have a true interest in programming, you can later look into lower-level languages (e.g. C, and ideally assembly) to really learn how computer programming works under the bonnet.

FruitLover wrote: »
    I'd consider Python to be an excellent introduction to programming. It's relatively easy to learn and understand, and powerful enough that it's a valuable real-world language. You can start off with basic coding and progress to OOP (essential in modern programming).

If you discover that you have a true interest in programming, you can later look into lower-level languages (e.g. C, and ideally assembly) to really learn how computer programming works under the bonnet.

I have already done some programming in c. Its relatively straightforward. I don't want to take up too much languages. I think I'll stick with c at least until im comfortable with it.

What do other programmers do to learn languages - when do they learn them? Do people learn programming in college - I would have thought that it would be better to learn some programming before going into college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

if you're looking for exercises, check out Project Euler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Darkphenom wrote: »
    I have already done some programming in c. Its relatively straightforward. I don't want to take up too much languages. I think I'll stick with c at least until im comfortable with it

Bear in mind that C won't teach you about OOP - extremely important in modern programming. If you're comfortable with C for the moment, great (you'll learn a lot of very useful stuff that are abstracted by higher-level languages) - but plan to eventually progress to a language that allows you to work with OOP (e.g. C++) if you're serious about learning modern coding.

Is it a case in Ireland that you only get courses in programming when you are in Third-level education. Im only 16 will I have to teach myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Plenty of tutorials on http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#ctutorial

Also on some of the universities in the US have their lectures - video of the actual lectures not just PowerPoint slides, on Youtube

Here's one from Stanford University:Lecture 1 | Programming Paradigms (Stanford)

The college video's may(or may not) be too much for you now but its good to know they're there.

Also, if you're just using Notepad at the minute download a text editor like Notepad++ which has syntax highlighting - function names, variable types etc. are displayed in different colours and makes code much easier to read.
    Darkphenom wrote: »
    Is it a case in Ireland that you only get courses in programming when you are in Third-level education. Im only 16 will I have to teach myself?

Yeah I think you will basically have to teach yourself.
    You can have a look on http://www.nightcourses.com/index.html for courses in your area but they could be pricey.

If you get stuck there's the Development Forum here on Boards.ie just read the charter about asking for help.

Advertisement