Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI € Cheque to £

Options
  • 14-06-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi aLL,

I need to send a cheque to England to pay for something. The amount i owe is in £ but my BOI chequebook is obvioously set up for €cheques.
    Do i convert the amount myself and write the cheque for this amount or can i scribble out the euro symbol and write the amount in pounds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to go to the bank and get a Sterling draft (cheque). You can't write a sterling chaque with a euro chequebook.

Also, the rate of currency exchange changes daily, so writing the euro equivalent today may not be correct by the time they go to cash the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi aLL,

I need to send a cheque to England to pay for something. The amount i owe is in £ but my BOI chequebook is obvioously set up for €cheques.
    Do i convert the amount myself and write the cheque for this amount or can i scribble out the euro symbol and write the amount in pounds?

You can't scribble out the Euro symbol, as the cheques are for the Irish banking system, and also wouldn't be picked up as Sterling anyway. Whoever you send the cheque to will have to pay a fee for lodging the cheque and for the f/x transaction. You should ask them how much you should write out the cheque for, so that they get the correct amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Highly unlikely that they will take a € cheque, you can also get £ drafts at your local post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

They definitely won't take a € cheque because it would take weeks to clear! The only why is to get a STG draft drawn on a UK branch - think AIB do these!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Some British companies will accept cheques in €.

Ring the company and ask them. If they do, they'll give you their accepted € price. Depending on their rqte, it may be cheaper to get a £ draft in your bank. However, this is not always the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement