Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars

• 14-06-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just interested to see what people drive when they are not on the bike or how many of us don't drive.

I have a BMW 530D Tourer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Recently picked up a Honda Accord Tourer (biggest bike accessory ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

I don't drive. Waaaay too dangerous with all them cycle maniacs out on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Toyota Avensis for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,677 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Volvo XC90 - can comfortably fit a couple of bikes in the back without removing wheels - (a bit of a tight fit to get the 4 kids in at the same time though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

A Lancia Dedra 2.0ie & the broom wagon- Fiat Multipa1.6sx 4 bikes and 6 bikes :)

will mention the accord tourer to my honda fanatic mate. nice car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Volkswagen Caddy. Can fit a lot in...

P8100042.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Mkiv Golf, bike goes in no problem with seats folded, or wheels off with seats not folded.

Costs me €333 in 'road' tax too, for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Jaguar xj8 "v8":D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Range Rover. It's handy for dropping the kids to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a few cars at my disposal, only one of them is "mine" but my two younger brothers use it. If I can avoid driving, I do. Cycling is much more fun, no worries about parking!

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to mention the car - Fiat Punto, sporting, bright blue. Typical fiat build, dodgy clutch, awful power steering but it's actually a lot of fun to drive and goes well when you rev it hard. Plus, it's italian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I've a Mitsy Lancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have a Peugeot 107 ... but I don't use it often... it's also my biggest bike accessory.
    You can fit 3 bikes inside it!...

I have a Peugeot 107 ... but I don't use it often... it's also my biggest bike accessory.
    You can fit 3 bikes inside it!...

Funny little french thing, that car was surprisingly roomy though.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Funny little french thing

Just like moi ...

Exactly ;)

My car is quite like me too: looks faster than it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

One or other of
    two_saabs_small.jpg
    depending on season.

1990 Saab 900 convertible 'summer car' for cruising.
    1992 Saab 900 turbo 'winter car' for playing with the traffic (like my mother used to tell me)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

mine just after a good wash & polish

one.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Ford Focus Ghia Hatchback (mk II) 1.6 TDCi.

I've been trying to find out the best way of transporting bikes in it without having to use the rack or take off the back wheel!

So far the best fit seems to be 2 bikes across the back seat with the front wheels off. Ideally would like to be able to fit bikes in the boot leaving all the passenger seats free. Anyone else with this car that has a better way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

CIMG8334.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have one of these....(fits two bikes in the back seat)
    156alfa2.JPG

And one of these.....THE ultimate bike accessory:D
    (not exact model but same idea)
    13871.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

You can put me squarely in the 'don't drive' camp.

If I ever learn, it'll be a Rover P5B all the way. Move up in the bed there Queenie! :D

roverP5B.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

dave2pvd wrote: »
    CIMG8334.JPG

Ah yes, summer hols coming up. 5 bikes to bring along with roofbox. Two bikes on top, 3 on a boot rack. Nothing like driving a holiday hedgehog across France...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

knackered 98 nissan primera with the paint coming off - it triples in value when i put the bike on the roof rack :D

My ultimate car/van would be a VW camper ...

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Kona will not be happy with what i drive (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65879290#post65879290).

Seriously thugh its costing me an arm and a leg between service, tyres, tax and insurance. i ll prob get rid of it soon. A luxury i can no longer afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg

Seen one for sale in Kerry over the weekend actually

(does posting on this forum mean you automatically encourage everyone to buy everything?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Mk IV Seat Ibiza and a Ford Transit.

I reckon Caroline bought her 107 from Doctor Who.

I reckon Caroline bought her 107 from Doctor Who.

I have small bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

My 350z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't drive. I have a full driving licence, which I use purely as a form of ID. I'm not sure I can still drive, as I haven't driven in six or seven years and that was just for an evening.

Maybe it's something you don't forget once you've learnt it. Like learning to ... well, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I drive one of these.

It took three bikes and three cyclists comfortably for the Martin Earley tour last August.

Much smaller than an SUV (despite appearances). 1.5 ltr Diesel engine is very easy on the juice.

Cyclist-friendly driver at the wheel at all times.

Nissan-Qashqai+2-4-lg.jpg

El Tonto saw it once and he asked me if it was my version of this:

Canyonero.jpg

I suppose it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I don't drive, don't even ride in cars if I can help it at all but at a pinch I can fit two normal bikes on the back of my cargo bike and since most people here seem to regard their cars as bike rack carriers, maybe that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What cargo bike do you have?

I'll be buying one in the next few years if I can save a bit of money and if I rent/buy a house with a garage.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What cargo bike do you have?

I'll be buying one in the next few years if I can save a bit of money and if I rent/buy a house with a garage.

It's a home-made jobbie, just bolted two old mountain bikes together in sort of an extra-cycle configuration. Only have it on the road like a week but it works alright, carries passengers and doesn't break down too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

It's a home-made jobbie, just bolted two old mountain bikes together in sort of an extra-cycle configuration. Only have it on the road like a week but it works alright, carries passengers and doesn't break down too much.

Do you have pics of this contraption?

Sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sold my Corrado G60 last year, I've had a list of cars as long as Lumen's arms. Currently driving a Combo Van for work, looking to go back to something 2.0 Turbo once the wedding is done, can't be doing with paying 1500+ for tax on an M3 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I sold an MR2 turbo as it was too awkward for transporting the bike :(

Have a 406 Coupe now, can take a bike in the boot without taking the front wheel off :eek:

dscf0945.th.jpg

Junior wrote: »
    Sold my Corrado G60 last year

Nice...did you ever drive a VR6? Which was better? Corrado was a classic looking car, I'd actually prefer it to an M3 (unless it were an E90).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nice...did you ever drive a VR6? Which was better? Corrado was a classic looking car, I'd actually prefer it to an M3 (unless it were an E90).

Jesus what haven't I driven, I had come to the Corrado from a 400Bhp that nearly broke the bank on me, I found it a tremendously good looking classic sports car, even thou it wasn't old. I would prefer a well worked G60 to a VR6, with the VR there's very little you can do to squeeze a few extra ponies from one, plus as well as that engine is designed it's a bit of a boat anchor. A Jabbasport built charger, some cooling mods and a decent gearbox and it's a tremendous back road car, you'd probably be looking at a decent 200bhp as well.

I had a couple of E36 M3's, I've driven an E46 CSL as well and good lord it's some weapon. I'd love to have an E46 but they are becoming common as muck lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Am I alone in wondering how the fook can Caroline fit 3 bikes into a 107?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

step one: get license

step two:get a job

step three: save

step four:
    r500a.jpg
    Some day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got a Volvo V50 myself. Nice spacious car, Plenty of room for a bike or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg
    If I was to start driving, the inner hippy in me would want either one of those or a Fiat 500:
    fiat500ori.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Do you have pics of this contraption?

Sounds great!

We absolutely need to see pictures! Seriously, would love to see it. I'm a big cargo bike fan.

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

460180275_pwYv8-S.jpg
    My 8 yo is mad about these. He associates with surfing (...and wants to be a professional surfer when he grows up). He has mugs with it on and tshirts..... the only thing about them is that you wanna be able to personally rebuil and repair on the side of the road.

We absolutely need to see pictures! Seriously, would love to see it. I'm a big cargo bike fan.

DFD.

Hold your horses! I'll post a few pics in images of beauty in a few days once I've got it tidied up a bit, right now she's still a bit rough round the edges for public appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

320d for me. I daren't mention the make due to likely Big Mega W@nk3r comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I have a Seat Leon 1.6 which is big enough for two big bikes + lots of accompanying bits and bobs:

DSC00877.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

93D VW Golf for me. Rarely drive it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Speaking of old Italians (mine in front):

39859391_i7mNT-XL.jpg

It never does get the privilege of transporting my bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement