Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolltag.ie Rip Off

Options
  • 14-06-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

The new M3 opened last week which is great. I used my tolltag.ie fob at the toll plaza and all works well.

Thought I would check my account today with tolltag.ie and was astounded at what I found.

When I go through the M50 toll I am charged €2 plus a tolltag.ie charge of 20c giving a total cost of €2.20. This is fine as it represents an 80c saving against the non-tag €3 toll charge.

I assumed it would be similar with the M3 as tolltag.ie have made no indication on their website it would be anything different.

On checking my account this is what I found:

M3 non-tag toll charge €1.30
    M3 charge with a tag €1.30
    tolltag.ie additional charge 13c

Total charge using tolltag.ie = €1.43! which is 10% MORE than just paying cash!

Yes there may be an advantage is not having to stop but this is sharp business practice as far as I am concerned!

I presume this is also similar to the other toll roads across Ireland.

Another example of RIP OFF IRELAND?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

craigmcc wrote: »
    I assumed it would be similar with the M3 as tolltag.ie have made no indication on their website it would be anything different.

Instead of assuming it would offer a discount, you could have taken the lack of information as confirmation that there was no discount.
    craigmcc wrote: »
    Yes there may be an advantage is not having to stop but this is sharp business practice as far as I am concerned!

Any advantage comes with a cost. If you don't like it, then just pay cash. You'll need to queue and have the cash of course. Is 13c really a rip-off for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I ordered a toll tag from tolltag.ie and have been charged a 10% fee for each use

However it was clearly stated that this would be the case when I bought it.

If you use tolls regularly maybe the eflow tag might be more appropriate? I think they charge €1 a month which if you spend more than €10 per month on tolls will word out cheaper than tolltag.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The 10% service charge is clearly advertised.

I don't be in Dublin much so the 10% charge is not an issue for me. With the other toll plazas the 10% charge is worth the convenience of not having to stop to pay cash. Also it does not cost me anything if I don't use it for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Hi.Tolltag.ie also have the monthly fee option for frequent users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 beemaja

Well, it was not the customer's choice to get rid off most of the toll paying booths and their staff and install a "free flow system" around the M50 for example.

The Tolltag enables the company to collect their money timely and effeciently, the have less change to deal with and also have less staff to employ, hence all of this should have the added bonus of a "discount" to this customer (also bearing in mind that prices have gone up and up and up on tollplazas for years).

I totally agree this is a rip off. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

beemaja wrote: »
    Well, it was not the customer's choice to get rid off most of the toll paying booths and their staff and install a "free flow system" around the M50 for example.

The Tolltag enables the company to collect their money timely and effeciently, the have less change to deal with and also have less staff to employ, hence all of this should have the added bonus of a "discount" to this customer (also bearing in mind that prices have gone up and up and up on tollplazas for years).

I totally agree this is a rip off. :mad:

But if you think it is a rip-off, at least focus on the correct target, it's the M3 that does not give the discount for tags, not the tag provider, you cannot except them to see you a toll at a loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

All tolls are a Rip Off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Its a tolled road, if you think it is a rip off, then there are alternative routes.

There is no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StefanPLU

Hi Guys,

i actually have to agree, in other Countries like the US if you use a Toll Tag it is always much cheaper, up to 40 %, makes sense for me.

But in Ireland it seems common to sell your customers that they have a premium way to get through the toll bridge and thats why you charge them more, instead of seeing the reality that they save a lot of money and then even charge more for it.

But what can i say, seems most irish are still buying things like that and with other things as well, hope that will change in face of the current recession.

Stefan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

StefanPLU wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

i actually have to agree, in other Countries like the US if you use a Toll Tag it is always much cheaper, up to 40 %, makes sense for me.

and in America heath insurance for the average family has reached $14,000!

If the irish government put some money that currently goes in health service into the roads so that we don't have to pay a toll, then we'll be paying $14,000 heath insurance!

Swings & roundabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

91011 wrote: »
    Swings & roundabouts

You're not wrong. But just because our health insurance is cheaper than the most expensive in the world, does that mean all other random prices charged by monopolies must be fair?

It's a bit like using the "think of all the starving children" argument to stifle any complaints people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

animaal wrote: »
    You're not wrong. But just because our health insurance is cheaper than the most expensive in the world, does that mean all other random prices charged by monopolies must be fair?

It's a bit like using the "think of all the starving children" argument to stifle any complaints people have.

Irelands health insurance is cheaper than most European countries.

Holland 1200 euros / year mandatory private insurance
    Germany 2700-3000 euros / year mandatory private insurance

I think i was paying around 726 with VHI back in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Is 13c an ripoff for that? After we paid for the dam road already???
    OF COURSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!

jor el wrote: »
    Instead of assuming it would offer a discount, you could have taken the lack of information as confirmation that there was no discount.

Any advantage comes with a cost. If you don't like it, then just pay cash. You'll need to queue and have the cash of course. Is 13c really a rip-off for that?

sealgaire wrote: »
    Is 13c an ripoff for that? After we paid for the dam road already???
    OF COURSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!

all tolled roads have been built on a PPP - basically PRIVATE money has built the roads.

If you're goin down the "I pay fuel tax, car tax, registration tax route" you'll be wrong. All taxes in Ireland are put into a central fund and spent on whatever is required. So your petrol tax is probably paying for the children's allowances you get, or for your future pension.

The good thing about the tolled roads is they revert to ownership of the state at the end of the agreement (unlike the westlink farce). The money taken in from the toll is calculated so that it paid for a high quality piece of infrastructure and it continued high quality upkeep for the duration of the agreement.

BTW - You can still use the old roads without paying a toll. The choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Right . ..

First of all, thanks for emphasing the word PRIVATE. I was really confused as to what the second P in PPP stands for.:rolleyes:

Secondly I am not going down the petrol tax "route", you should jump to conclusions as I've a feeling you do as a matter of course on this site.

I never mentioned the toll, what the thread is about is the 13c extra charge for the tag but because you find the need to reply to so many threads I'd say you got excited and felt the need to get another nonsense post under your belt.

The 13c is for the company that supplies the tag and processes the payment. They don't get any payment from the road operator.

You can avoid the 13c surcharge by paying the toll directly into the buckets or at the window.

I still cannot see where the rip-off is and it is posted in the rip off forum.

That 13 cent is the cost of convenience. If you don't like it you can queue up with the other peasants and pay cash.

Advertisement