Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Next Generation broadband?

• 14-06-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Whats the difference between this and the regular old broadband they've been peddling up to now?

And how are they managing to provide uncongested broadband now?! **Edit, did a search and found some info. ;)

And just on a slightly different note, im on a 7mb package, when i access my connection status online it shows my line speed as 6144, so basically my line couldnt handle 7mb even if it tried, :rolleyes: but then i followed these instructions from To_be_confirmed on a thread in the Talk to Vodafone forum

Go to the eircom.ie website. Click on the home broadband icon. When that loads up, stick in your phone number where it asks for finding the best product for you.

When that finishes loading, you'll see lots of stuff written in the address bar, including the phone number you just entered into the website and whatnot. Somewhere in the middle of the text, you'll see a "linespeed=xxxx" bit where xxxx equals a number like 1024 or 6144 etc. This is the highest speed eircom expect your line to take. See what that website says for your linespeed.

and its showing my line speed as 5120, and anytime i speed test i only ever get 5mb. Im noticing my internet is slow as a wet week at times, so would i be better to drop back down to a 3mb package?
    And how can they sell me something that my line cant even handle?! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Cherrycola wrote: »

By using those two magic words 'Up To' it's a swizz designed to finally start charging people for going over their monthly cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

But to sell me something that my line is not capable of producing?!

Fair enough if my line was capable of handling 24mb broadband, but i only realistically got 18mb, not ideal, but the capabilities are there for me to achieve the full speed if all the other pieces of the puzzle were in place.

However they are selling me a 7mb package, when my line is only capable of receiving 5mb?! Surely they should be able to tell me when i purchase it that my line is not suitable for that speed broadband connection?! Would they sell me 24mb even though the speed limitations of my phone line is 5mb? :confused:

Thats like a builder trying to get me to buy a larger cooker for my new house, even though it wont fit in the space in the kitchen! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

as the reply says its the magic words " up to 7mb" this means the speed can even be less than 1mb and as the terms says up to there is no opt out. With the new NGB it will be sold as up to 8mb and not many will get close to that.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Less than 10% on non-ADSL2+, old plain ADSL. Average will be 3Mbps. On ADSL2+ exchanges (a minority) 6 to 8Mbps is average if they enabled "24Mbps" (less than 10% would be over 20Mbps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Whats the difference between this and the regular old broadband they've been peddling up to now?

And how are they managing to provide uncongested broadband now?! **Edit, did a search and found some info. ;)

And just on a slightly different note, im on a 7mb package, when i access my connection status online it shows my line speed as 6144, so basically my line couldnt handle 7mb even if it tried, :rolleyes: but then i followed these instructions from To_be_confirmed on a thread in the Talk to Vodafone forum

Go to the eircom.ie website. Click on the home broadband icon. When that loads up, stick in your phone number where it asks for finding the best product for you.

When that finishes loading, you'll see lots of stuff written in the address bar, including the phone number you just entered into the website and whatnot. Somewhere in the middle of the text, you'll see a "linespeed=xxxx" bit where xxxx equals a number like 1024 or 6144 etc. This is the highest speed eircom expect your line to take. See what that website says for your linespeed.

and its showing my line speed as 5120, and anytime i speed test i only ever get 5mb. Im noticing my internet is slow as a wet week at times, so would i be better to drop back down to a 3mb package?

I am eagerly waiting on eircoms next generation phone line to be released, so that i can get a faster DSL speed.

just did what you state in bold above and i get &linespeed=4096 but i also noticed this bit &ngb=true

:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

However they are selling me a 7mb package, when my line is only capable of receiving 5mb?! Surely they should be able to tell me when i purchase it that my line is not suitable for that speed broadband connection?! Would they sell me 24mb even though the speed limitations of my phone line is 5mb? :confused:

It's more than likely a DSL profile settings that's capping your speed at 5mb. It can be easily changed with a quick phonecall to tech support if that is the case.

Advertisement