Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bars/clubs in Melbourne

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Outside of the Irish bars does anyone find it hard to find/get into good bars and clubs here. A lot of the clubs wont let groups of fellas in..u need to have a barbie on your arm..any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Outside of the Irish bars does anyone find it hard to find/get into good bars and clubs here. A lot of the clubs wont let groups of fellas in..u need to have a barbie on your arm..any ideas??

I’ve never had any real difficulty getting in anywhere except for a couple of rare occasions when I was asked for ID because there were young people in the line ahead of me and they were asking everyone. (I don’t carry ID with me much as I’m 29 and don’t generally get asked). If you’re in a big group of lads it may be difficult to get into certain places but just break you’re group up into smaller ones and you should be fine.

What kind of pubs / clubs are you looking at going to? What kind of music are you into and what kind of price are you looking to pay? Is there an area of Melbourne you particularly want to go out in?

Melbourne has loads of great bars but most of the best ones are hidden down an alleyway or up a set of stairs behind a door with hardly any signage.

In Fitzroy one of my favorite bars is the Union Club Hotel. Has really good atmosphere in there and good music and food. There’s a large covered beer garden and a pool table in the bar.

One bar I like although it wasn’t cheap in the CBD was Berlin Bar (16 Corrs Lane, next to Eurotrash is a doorway upstairs.) Like Berlin during the cold war the bar is divided into East and West Berlin, complete with checkpoint Charlie in the middle. The contrast is obvious with leather couches and booths in West Berlin to ammunition boxes and converted bathtubs in East Berlin. Good place but more for cocktails then pints.

I could recommend a load more but really it all depends on what type of place you like for me to give you good suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheers for that..Im just interested in good bars with a nice vibe and a good balance of women..we tried a few clubs around the CBD but they seem to be pretty strict. Do you need to get in early? Thinking the suburbs might be the best bet for bars/clubs.
    What clubs around the city have you tried? We tried a few there on the street a few up from swanston? Think there is a few of them together..QC..or something?? Fine women but v strict on the fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Cheers for that..Im just interested in good bars with a nice vibe and a good balance of women..we tried a few clubs around the CBD but they seem to be pretty strict. Do you need to get in early? Thinking the suburbs might be the best bet for bars/clubs.
    What clubs around the city have you tried? We tried a few there on the street a few up from swanston? Think there is a few of them together..QC..or something?? Fine women but v strict on the fellas.

To be honest mate I’m more of a pub and live music person then a club person so I know more about bars around Melbourne then the nightclubs. Although having said that I have ended up in clubs a number of times in the city but as I hang out with locals most of the time they will say to the taxi driver where to go and I will just be happy to be going somewhere still serving alcohol.

Having said that if you are looking for clubs that are easy enough to get into I have ended up in Trades Hall just off Victoria st. on Lygon on a number of occasions. At a thing called Finishing School a few times that was alright although I don’t know if that is a regular night or not (think it might be on every other week) that was an indie/pop night and I drunkenly danced the night away.

There’s some really massive clubs on Kings St. but I think they have a bit of a bad reputation. Then again as I said I wouldn’t really know much about them.

Advertisement