Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have seborrheic dermatitis?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

This certainly is a long-term condition, as far as I am aware it cannot be cured but can be controlled. I was basically interested in how many people here have this condition.

How long have you had seborrheic dermatitis?

What do you use to control it and how well does it work?

I'm also interested if anyone knows any news as to how research is going into this condition? (I wish there was a cure :( )

I've had seborrheic dermatitis myself since I was around 15yo (11 years ago), it took me a while to go see a doctor. By the time I did it was very bad, painful even. It affects me primarily in the area below the eyes and left and right of the nose, on the back of my scalp, sometimes it's even on my eye lids which can be sore.

It sounds strange but probably what helps it the most is head and shoulders shampoo and using a moisturiser afterwards. If I get a flare up, I was prescribed a 1% hydrocortisone cream that clears it right up but I try to use that as sparingly as possible.

Actually thinking of going back to the docs to see if he has any better way of controlling it as I haven't talked to one in a few years about it. This was kinda my motivation for posting and seeing what other people are doing with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I've had eczema and all sorts of dermatitis over the years, had a bad month or so of seborrhoeic dermatitis a few years ago. I was prescribed a hydrocortisone cream too and it cleared up in about two weeks! It was horrible though. I do hope I don't get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I had eczema when I was younger, and now get dermatitis flare ups every so often arond the top of my nose and in my eyebrows. I asked the doc about it once and he recommend Nizerol. It's a shampoo you can get from a chemist, use it every few days or so and it really helps clear it up. I also use e45 daily and that seems to help too.

Advertisement