Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have World Cup discussion in After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No
    I voted 'yes'. I don't really like football, but the world cup's different - it's more than just football, it's a huge event.

Kudos Biko on starting this thread - it's nice to see mods willing to take on board the views of the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

brummytom wrote: »
    Kudos Biko on starting this thread - it's nice to see mods willing to take on board the views of the posters.
    Thanks, but it was done with the other AH mods' blessing, I'm merely the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I voted no. People should learn to post in the right forums. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

brummytom wrote: »
    I voted 'yes'. I don't really like football, but the world cup's different - it's more than just football, it's a huge event.

nah, give me club football everytime over International football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

No
    Paraguay 1 Italia 0 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No
    This is a perfect example of what boards.ie has come to

Having to make a thread to ask whether or not to have a thread about the world cup.
    Make the thread, if it dies off then you know nobody wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a perfect example of what boards.ie has come to

Having to make a thread to ask whether or not to have a thread about the world cup.
    Make the thread, if it dies off then you know nobody wanted it.

Yes, it's come to that when a decision is made to not have soccer chat in a non-soccer forum then all hell breaks loose in feedback.

I've been picking up toys and dummies all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No
    biko wrote: »
    Yes, it's come to that when a decision is made to not have soccer chat in a non-soccer forum then all hell breaks loose in feedback.

i'm still waiting on mine back

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

No
    I don't even like the game, but we do need somewhere to take the piss out of it. Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No, most definitely not! One of the reasons I take part in AH is that there is no mention of soccer. Isn't it enough that you can't turn on the TV or Radio for the next month without hearing about it? Don't bring it to AH too! There's a soccer forum, and much like the motoring forum if that's what you want to 'talk' about go there and leave the rest of us alone.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No

In fairness the thread in feedback is for the most part very reasonable and coherently structured discussion.

One thread in feedback hardly constitutes "all hell breaking loose", nor are the vast majority of the posts in it the equivalent of throwing toys out of the pram.

Hyperbole is fun though :)

To the people dead set against it, couldn't you just not read the thread? Much in the same way, I manage to avoid most of the "kill de peedofiles / a taxi driver stole my lunch / refugees ate my cat" threads quite easily.

Edit: Actually, I've just realised the toys/pram reference is probably in regards to the comments on various AH threads about how the thread will be locked if anyone mentions the world cup etc... I take it all back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

No
    yes, we need someone to take the piss out of the WC.

and i mean WC as in Water Closet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I voted no to cock a snook at rabble-rousing.

You must all learn to respect authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't want one, but I can see why one is needed.

It seems that gaining access to the soccer forum was just too hard for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OutlawPete wrote: »
    That would have been cool.

What would you have voted? :)

Probably "no," I'm not a fan of endless discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No
    It could be like the poor mans AH version of Apres Match.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No
    voted yes as there was no option of "meah"

I went to the soccer forum to have the banter on soccer but i think the WC is a big event so if there is to be a single thread in AH.. no big deal i feel

No
    snyper wrote: »

I went to the soccer forum to have the banter on soccer but i think the WC is a big event so if there is to be a single thread in AH.. no big deal i feel

Indeed, there are a few threads on the SF just for banter, but how and ever.
    I suppose this thread would be for people not that bothered about soccer to post there, or get access.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No
    Can't this be the world cup thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

No
    There have been feedback to the AH mods that many posters wishes to discuss the Soccer World Cup and because of this we want to gauge the interest here.

Question, should we have a thread for "all things World Cup"? This would include discussion of players, results and matches but also everything surrounding the World Cup, i.e. clothes, banter, trumpets, whatnot.
    Everything connected to The World Cup would go in a single thread for the duration of the Cup.

Vote Yes if you want such a thread, vote No if you don't want it or are happy with the current situation (discussions are OK if they don't involve results, matches or players).

This poll is public and will close Wednesday 11am. Whatever result in the lead then will decide.

Is someone going soft? we'd all be delighted if there was one, I started up a football club chat some months ago, it was going well for a couple of weeks and suddenly it was shut down?.. Maybe the rule should be re-thought, cos I don't like soaps of other tv treads...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No
    Can't this be the world cup thread?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

No
    snyper wrote: »

Its Meh!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

No
    stovelid wrote: »
    I voted no to cock a snook at rabble-rousing.

HES BEING INTELLEGENT. DO YOU SEE THAT HES USING WORDS AND SH1T. HES REALLY SMART THATS WHAT HES TRYING TO SAY

Jazzy wrote: »
    HES BEING INTELLEGENT. DO YOU SEE THAT HES USING WORDS AND SH1T. HES REALLY SMART THATS WHAT HES TRYING TO SAY

The good thing about these posts is that a rejoinder isn't even necessary.

Quoting it is shame enough in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No
    Trying to watch New Zealand VS Slovakia, keep hearing this unbelievable droning noise - I wish Jim Beglin would shut the f*ck up!

Trying to watch New Zealand VS Slovakia, keep hearing this unbelievable droning noise - I wish Jim Beglin would shut the f*ck up!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No
    "Well ya know George, the team that scores the most goals is gonna win the game, and, at the end of the day, if you're not in it, you can't be up for it, and if you're not up for it, you can't be in it, at the end of the day," :eek:

Words of wisdom, Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We should have this world cup thread, so someone can tell me when it gets to the bit where packie bonner makes the save.

No

That droning noise has its uses.

RTÉ Sport World Cup

Gets good from about 1:45 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

No
    There's a player in the World Cup called "sh1tu".

Personally I think this deserves it's on thread in afterhours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement