Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on these cheap ass underwater bags?

• 14-06-2010 2:32pm

Hey all,

was bored and on eBay spending more money I haven't got, when I came across these again;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-50D-450D-500D-DSLR-SLR-Camera-Waterproof-Case-Bag-/180515456012?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN&hash=item2a078f440c

bingo_df_012.jpg

I was wondering what people's thoughts on here are of them? Preferably of anyone with first hand experience.

I always read that anything to get your DSLR underwater will cost an arm and a leg. I've read (on here, I think) of people paying hundreds of euro on underwater equipment for their DSLRs.

But then, I see this for less than €20. I see the 99.6% positive feedback score, and i can't help but feel a little confused.

I'd like to buy one, just to see how it'd get on (I'd never really be underwater, so I don't really need one) but in saying that, if it didn't work as described, that's a hell of a risk to take (though I suppose you could throw a folded A4 Page or such in first to see if it's wet after you dunk it?).

A friend of mine has an underwater bag that he bought years ago for his phone/keys when he went out swimming at the beach before. It was a small, thinner bag that strapped around your wrist/ankle. He never had any problem. Surely the "technology" behind both would be the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Get some blotting paper and a rock in one an throw it in the sea for an hour and submerge it a couple of times (take it out on open and close the seal too a few times) anything on the blotting paper its crap but if its bone dry then should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Waterproof 20 meters! :eek:
    Can't believe it, but I'll get one anyway - might come in handy when it rains :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Haven't used or seen one, but strikes me as odd that they are selling this as "Canon 50D 450D 500D DSLR SLR Camera Waterproof Case Bag" when all the photos show a Minolta in the bag, also why is the lense cover still on the camera :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I personally wouldnt get something like that - unless it was a last choice.

I have an underwater housing for my 5D, just need to get myself underwater and keep practicing.

planning on getting a G10 or G11 and underwater housing - if I'm lucky enough to get a decent price on Ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

Got one of these.... http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/camera-case-br-with-hard-lens-br-420-1632-0.html

Got a few good photos out of it before it leaked and ruined my camera. I only got it because there was no other waterproof case option... Maybe I got unlucky, but I wouldn't buy one again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i wouldn risk it:(

i did see some home made things that look like crap but might be better able to withstand the water. here is the link

http://web.media.mit.edu/~tim/pix/waterproofcamera.html

he mentions using alka seltzer to protect the camera if there is a leak which is interesting:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Friend of mine got one for €20 recently and after only a few trials he's happy putting his 5D II into it. I'll find out where he got it.

Love the way the camera in the ebay link posted above is only worth €20-30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

How much is your camera and lens worth to you?

If the answer is less than 20 quid then work away. Otherwise I'd be saving for something decent :)

mrboswell wrote: »
    How much is your camera and lens worth to you?

If the answer is less than 20 quid then work away. Otherwise I'd be saving for something decent :)

My kid is worth more than €21,000 but that's how much the car costs that I put her in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Effects wrote: »
    My kid is worth more than €21,000 but that's how much the car costs that I put her in.

Isn't it illegal to sell your kids in Ireland, if it's not i got 3 you can have for a great price ;)

• Advertisement

to you !!! ... to me your kid aint worth much (no offence intended - just your kid has value to you... obviously you value your child more than the car that contains it but you are restricted to what you can afford....I know that was your point but my point is .... ah feck it, I think I've lost my point)

as for the water bags - have heard they are decent enough to hold a camera in water...but they are not a good option if you want to actually stay underwater and photograph anything.

Personally I'd prefer a proper housing - but another photographer I know has said he used it and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

could easily use a zip lock bag to

PCPhoto wrote: »
    to you !!! ... to me your kid aint worth much (no offence intended - just your kid has value to you... obviously you value your child more than the car that contains it but you are restricted to what you can afford....I know that was your point but my point is .... ah feck it, I think I've lost my point).
    And as expensive as all your camera gear is it ain't worth much to my kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Time to upgrade the car?? ;)

mrboswell wrote: »
    Time to upgrade the car?? ;)
    Nah, I'm not all that pushed on having to buy a car. And I don't have a kid either, thank god.

So out of curiousity, what happens to a wet DSLR?

If you did get a small hole or tear in the bag, i doubt it'd ever fill up completely. By the time any noticeable amount of water got inside, you'd surely notice it and start getting out of the water.

So what happens to DSLRs? Does water mean the end of them? Or can you let them dry out like a phone and they'll eventually return to their old working order?

in the sea....salt water damage ... completely ruins camera.

in fresh water .... completely ruins camera (with slight chance of rebuild/repair)

So would I be right in saying that if you want to go underwater inexpensively, you'd probably be better off just buying a waterproof point and shoot, then?

well..... to do stuff underwater ...do you mean ...plants, crabs, ane-ane-anemeeeees (I know its spelled wrong but thats sounds sooo funny in my head)

or are you talking about seals, shoals of fish etc.

A Compact and underwater housing will be fine for maybe 10-15feet.... which is deep enough ... some compacts even upto 30feet ....all depends on how well you can take pics underwater...how much light is available and if your subject is moving fast. (everything is moving underwater- with the currents)

In Irish waters light is lost fairly fast the deeper you go..... a compact will be perfect for snorkling and shallow diving.

I'm just starting to get into underwater photography and getting to grips with using a 5D and underwater housing, I plan on getting a digi compact and housing too, the important thing is maintenance and light ..... I have an underwater strobe for my 5D.

For time time being I think a digi compact will be perfect.... you can get digital cameras which can be taken underwater (no housing needed) for less than €200 on ebay, I dont know if they are any good but might be worth practicing with, underwater photography is not as easy as pressing the button while underwater.

when looking for a Digi camera - make sure you can manually white balance the camera.....or you will have a LOT of work to do on the pics afterwards (some of the pics you will never be able to fix with the colour cast at some depths)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I definately wouldn't bring a DSLR underwater in one of those!

Keep an eye on the photography section of www.divegear.ie for second hand underwater camera gear: http://divegear.ie/index.php?category=For+Sale&sub_category=Photography

If you want to get into underwater photography cheaply I recommend getting a second hand housing and second hand canon powershot compact camera with manual controls. My previous setup was a €40 housing from adverts.ie and €40 Canon A570is on eBay. With a steady hand (to keep camera in position after autofocus locks) you can get decent macro shots with the use of the onboard (difussed) flash.

Example of shot from that €80 setup:
    4319637836_8f26b7e522.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Don't trust underwater bags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

ive used the dicapac .. its fine for you sitting in the water snapping away .. before i put the 40d into it i put a tea towell into it .. filled the bath and left it sit in it for over an hour .. nothing entered ...

i put some silca gel inside it too when shooting....
    as for underwater i havent been brave enough i just dont trust it even thought i did the bath test ....

but as i said in water perfect underwater im not positive .. if someone wants to donate an slr for a test il be happy to test it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

have been told that a little tip for underwater housings is to add some bits of cut up tampons... in the event of water getting in they will absorb it, silica gel will only absorb moisture, a towel generally isn't very absorbant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I've got an EWA marine housing for my D300, and so far, it's worked a treat - I took it kayaking, the camera survived me capsizing... I took it sailing, and went swimming with it, not a bother.
    Cost was about 250 quid. So not exactly cheap..
    BA43F10CD3CB42ECBFC9E9D3D44B94A5-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was looking at these plastic bags too. I was going to use it for surfing pics so it wouldnt be under water but it would be around a lot of water and splashing as i would have it on my board paddling out. Think it might do as i really cant afford a proper housing but at the same time i really cant afford my camera breaking either. :(

Advertisement