Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I doubled checked with the girl and made sure she understood what I had done and she said yes, just check in online with your maiden name and because your passport is in your married name, bring your marriage cert as proof that that was your single name. So then I asked, "no charge?" and she said no, none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lyno09

Does anybody kno how much it costs for a name change on a return ryanair flight to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Lyno09 wrote: »
    Does anybody kno how much it costs for a name change on a return ryanair flight to date?

See the last line of this table:

€/£ 100 if you do it online
    €/£ 150 if you call them and have the call center agent do it

Edit: For a return flight, it will be twice that as a return flight counts as two individual flights.

It's actually €100/€150 return. I checked last week. See my original post. I had booked in my maiden name and my passport is in my married name. Phoned and told to bring passport+ marriage cert to airport. Got to check in/bag drop counter this day last week, explained problem, Ryanair girl said I would have to do a name change but wouldn't have time before boarding, so she took my passport and cert of for 10 mins and came back with it all done, for FREE! I just had to reprint a new return boarding pass when I got to my destination!
    My tip; be nice and act all innocent no matter what. Getting angry will get you nowhere with them!!
    @Lyno09 it depends on the kind of name change, what kind is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

mothel wrote: »
    My tip; be nice and act all innocent no matter what. Getting angry will get you nowhere with them!!

This is terrific advice for dealing with people in general, but particularly when dealing with someone who you would like to bend the rules a little. A smile will often work, but trying to assert rights, whether those rights are real or illusory, is only likely to antagonise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Hi

Does anyone think there would be an issue with a name booked as Paddy but with Patrick on the passport?

Would be worth chancin it or changing it? Or would it be worth editing with a PDF editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hi

Does anyone think there would be an issue with a name booked as Paddy but with Patrick on the passport?

Would be worth chancin it or changing it? Or would it be worth editing with a PDF editor.

I booked before with Patrick instead of Padraic with no problems, if thats any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Shamrok wrote: »
    I booked before with Patrick instead of Padraic with no problems, if thats any help?
    Cheers, Think I'l chance it. Not worth the €100 especially when it is just a different form of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pat/Patrick Paddy/Patrick Joe/Joseph Mick/Michael type names are generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

my friend just booked flights for me and a few others and spelt my name marie as mariie :mad:
    we paid €50 for our flights and if it costs €100/150 to change it then i might aswell just book another flight.
    Does anyone think I could get away with it?

• Advertisement

Small changes where it is obvious that the name is just misspelled are usually handled free of charge. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Just rang and it's FREE!!
    How generous of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

See as much stick as ryanair get they can sometimes be quite accomodating.

am_sunny wrote: »
    Just rang and it's FREE!!
    How generous of them!!

They told me the same over the phone, but be careful!!!! Did they change it for you there and then? If not get to the airport early as they might do it there and it takes time. It's usually only a
    total wrong name they bother with charging for. A slight misspelling like yours you would cause no problem and be free anyway! I put wrong surname, called up, was told to present error at check in desk and they would change it for free, did so and was told they had no record of my call and would be charged for change if name. Was directed to ryanair customer service desk to change name and as it would take time so I would miss flight and have to rebook for later. She eventually took pity and went off herself and changed it with no charge! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sickofitall

As long as the Christian name on the booking matches at least one of them on the passport they wont be too bothered...for example Annmarie Smith...if the booking says Ann Smith or Marie Smith the wont mind. It applies especially with the likes of Spanish passengers where they can have three or four names and nobody except the passenger knows which is the correct one....so its easier to say nothing and just let them board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

hi folks
    can some one confirm what number i should ring

i left one letter out of my firends first name and i want to try correct ASAP

much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

As long as the Christian name on the booking matches at least one of them on the passport they wont be too bothered...for example Annmarie Smith...if the booking says Ann Smith or Marie Smith the wont mind. It applies especially with the likes of Spanish passengers where they can have three or four names and nobody except the passenger knows which is the correct one....so its easier to say nothing and just let them board.

But a Spanish passenger would have all their names in their passport, so I don't get what you mean by not knowing which is the correct one :confused: (I'm Spanish btw, with name, middle name and two surnames, all in the passport)

To the OP, a slight misspelling is generally overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 loko90210

I booked my flight tonight to Ibiza :)

However I booked my friend is well and it appears his name is repeated "Mark Mark Murphy"

I will ring tomorrow and say it is a spelling mistake. I really can't afford 100e to take out the repeated first name.

Do you think I will get away with that? PDF editing it sounds dodgey!

You should be able to get that changed for free. The €100 is levied only when Ryanair suspect you bought the ticket for one person and want to use it for another. If it is clear that the original passenger is still flying but their name was misspelled, the service is free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

PDF editing works grand, cause of the rapid turnover the Ryanair staff have to do they don't have to time to cross reference your boarding pass with the computer screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 loko90210

I was speaking to a lovely girl there, very polite and she deleted the repeated first name, and straight away sent me the new itinerary

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hereford_21

Hi there,

I have also just booked to go to ibiza and accidentally put my name down as chris rather than christopher. will this be a problem?

Thanks

Like in similar cases discussed before, Ryanair are likely to sort you out for free if you give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Short names generally don't cause an issue, but call them anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

What would happen if you got caught with an edited boarding pass? Is it worth the risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I can't imagine that being tolerated. In fact, I'd be amazed if you didn't end up explaining yourself to the Gardaí as a result. You certainly wouldn't be allowed to board.

Anybody else responding to this post, please don't encourage the poster to take a chance on the basis they don't really look.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Well I've printed out perfectly photoshopped boarding passes but not gonna go ahead with it as its not worth the risk, but let me explain what bought me to this.

I printed my boarding passes off today for a flight to edinburgh, return with ryanair from Dublin. Only as they were printed did I realise that the name on them was wrong, the surname was only the first 2 letters of my actual surname. So to save any possible hassle and charges in the airport I called them about it, only to be told that as I had checked in with this name they could not under any circumstances change it, and all I can do is purchase new tickets.

The tickets I had cost over €100 and new ones would cost €300 as its so last minute.

Spoke to the customer support superviser, no help at all, spoke to regulator, couldnt do anything, suggested calling ryanair again which I did and got different person but same result.

So the only affordable option now is to travel from Cork where I live to Dublin, then train to belfast and get a rail and sail to edinburgh.

My first nightmare ryanair story and I will do my best to boycott them in future, its an absolute joke that a simple mistake has rendered my hundred euro tickets invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ktucker

Hi

I entered an incorrect surname for a child on Monday night an only realised after making the payment.

I called them this morning and in the end, I asked for a exemption to that over priced fee for name cosmetic name change. Of course, I was nice and courteous to the person on the phone.

My matter was referred to a supervisor (at my request) and responded with an admin charge of 10 Euro instead of 110 Euro.

Nothing wrong with that and I as a lot happier to see they can be human after all when genuine errors are made.

Later
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hello,

I booked a flight with Budgetair.ie on monday for my sister and put the wrong name in (name used is different than on passport but similar)

Budgetair say there is nothing they can do about it as it has 2 legs (shannon to heathrow and then to vancouver) that are ran by different airlines.

What the said they can do is add a note to the BA system saying that the name in the passport doesn't match the ticket name but she said it may still not allow her to fly.

Surely this has happened before and there is some way that it can be changed? When we rang BA they would not talk to us as we used an agent to book.

It just seems a bit ridiculous that there is so way it can be changed, even for a fee.

I know it is my fault for making the mistake but come on?

I guess what I would like to know is has anyone else come across this? Has anyone had a memo put on there ticket in the BA system with a different name and allowed to fly?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Do you know the airline you are flying with?
    You could try contacting them and trying to sort it that way.

Advertisement