Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes I have never had any issue with my middle name on my passport and just name and surname on ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 badgercon

A friend is booked on a flight (Ryanair flight) in the coming days and discovered that the name booked is different from what is on his passport. Eg: ticket says Mike but passport says Michael. Will this be an issue? From Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

happens to me all the time. should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just call them up. Everyone has that Ryanair fear - the first time I made a mistake on a ticket I was freaking out.
    Called them and it was sorted within 2 minutes, no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

While I doubt Mike/ Michael is a problem, a couple of weeks back FR tried to charge a member of family €160 for an incorrect surname. Instead of paying, they rebooked a short notice ticket for €60. So there are ways around it if they try to extort more. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Mike/Michael you'll have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JJJayne

if u check in online.they only actually check your passport at the gate.its a quick look .it happened to me .i said nothing .took a chance and it was fine

i think they charge to change it . ... if you tell them

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Ring them up, you have until 24hr before the flight to change the name for free.

While you might get away with it, I've seen people at the gate making a big deal out of it with the same type of misspellings. Gary/Garry, James/Seamus.
    Especially if you get non nationals checking the passports.

• Advertisement

are you sure you dont have to pay to change ? i think they told me 60 euro .thats why i took a chance .i must check that out

JJJayne wrote: »
    are you sure you dont have to pay to change ? i think they told me 60 euro .thats why i took a chance .i must check that out

Definately not. It used to be a charge before, but they relaxed it since.

Extract from RyanAir website:

FLIGHT CHANGES & REFUNDS
    24 hour grace period for correcting minor booking errors

Customers who book directly on the Ryanair.com website have a 24 hour grace period from the time of original booking, to correct any minor errors (i.e. spelling of names, incorrect routings/dates) made in their original booking...
    Please contact our call centre, click here for details, alternatively click here to chat with one of our team who will be happy to assist you.

thats good to know .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Xpro wrote:
    Ring them up, you have until 24hr before the flight to change the name for free.

It seems to be 24hrs from the time you book as opposed to 24hrs before your flight judging from your post below ?
    Xpro wrote:
    Customers who book directly on the Ryanair.com website have a 24 hour grace period from the time of original booking, to correct any minor errors (i.e. spelling of names, incorrect routings/dates) made in their original booking... Please contact our call centre, click here for details, alternatively click here to chat with one of our team who will be happy to assist you.

cathalj wrote: »
    It seems to be 24hrs from the time you book as opposed to 24hrs before your flight judging from your post below ?

Thats right, I knew it was 24hr's grace period, but I confirmed it in my last post so you can refer to that instead. As appears , the correct procedure is 24 hr from original booking, so disregard my first post.

Xpro wrote: »

While you might get away with it, I've seen people at the gate making a big deal out of it with the same type of misspellings. Gary/Garry, James/Seamus.
    Especially if you get non nationals checking the passports.

No you don't, you have 24hrs grace from the time of booking to ring up and change a name, for example if you book at 10am on the 01st of August you have until 10am on Augsut the 02nd to correct any errors. Its also only for mis-spellings and people who may have booked a married name instead of maiden name and vice versa, if its a totalname change as in first and last name there is a charge on it.

EDIT : I notice myself and another poster posted at the same time.

dying to find out what the outcome is .Personally i would take a chance .they seem more interested in the size of your bag these days than looking at your passport

You can read my post above what I copied from Ryanairs website, but to assure youself best visit the FR website and you will see two sections, one for change of married name and one for minor misspelling errors.
    I know people who used it and there was no charge.

sugarman wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about, few my friends have had James/Jamie/jimmy or Steve/Steven with ryanair and they never said anything.

If you're checking in online they only have a quick glance at your passport and face at the gate. Not the names.

I can tell you that in the two second glance they have looked at your passport they have looked at your name, face and expiry date

sugarman wrote: »
    and have still never bothered to say anything;)

There's no point, abbreviated names are accepted, the only thing not allowed it a full name difference or single letters, eg J.J Blogs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Moved from Aviation and Aircraft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would expect Ryanair staff to understand in an English speaking situation that Steve/Steven/Stephen or James/Jimmy/Jim are the same name.

It might cause more confusion if it were Margaret/Peggy or Joanna/Asia which don't seem to bear any similarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Hi all. I was booking a flight to Cologne a while ago and I've run into a slight problem.

When entering my address I didn't realise the nationality tab and it was automatically set to Germany (it is a German airline ofc). When I got my confirmation email, it sent me my address and Germany is at the end of it as opposed to Ireland.

Is this going to be a problem? The payment went through successfully and I'm unsure when the airline will need my address otherwise. I don't think they use Eircode in Germany so hopefully they won'y be posting anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hi all. I was booking a flight to Cologne a while ago and I've run into a slight problem.

When entering my address I didn't realise the nationality tab and it was automatically set to Germany (it is a German airline ofc). When I got my confirmation email, it sent me my address and Germany is at the end of it as opposed to Ireland.

Is this going to be a problem? The payment went through successfully and I'm unsure when the airline will need my address otherwise. I don't think they use Eircode in Germany so hopefully they won'y be posting anything!

Can't see it been a major problem, you could perhaps contact them on twitter or call them to see if it's an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope.
    The address was there most likely just for billing purposes and also to be used by the credit card company to cross reference if you are a genuine customer or just someone using a generated credit card number/ stolen card.

If the payment has gone through then you only need to get your boarding card and turn up at the aiport (or checkin at the airport if thats as handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anon 95

Hey guys,
    I have a holiday booked for September with my friends but don't think I'll be able to go now. I was just wondering does anyone know if someone else could take my place, do I just get the name change on the pass? And if so does anyone know how much this costs with Ryanair?
    Thanks 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Name Change Fee -
    Per Passenger
    €110 / £110
    €160 / £160

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/fees/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

I've just noticed my friends passport has a middle name wrote on it I was unaware of this when booking this would Ryanair accept this or will we have to pay the name change fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Thanks Fred it's 110 to change or alter a booking on Ryanair, and the first and last name is spelled properly

Advertisement