Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Middle name won't be a problem, and for minor name corrections there is no charge of 110 euros. That only applies if you change it into a different name altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Db0907

Hi does anyone know how much it costs for an infant ticket name change on a Ryanair flight? I know the rates for full priced tickets but can't find info for an infant. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call them and they may do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnos40

I noticed last night that I had misspelled my son's name on the booking for an upcoming flight. This was after I had already checked in. I contacted Ryanair via twitter who referred me to the reservations centre. I dealt with a very helpful person via live chat this morning who amended the boarding pass, there and then, without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnos40

I noticed last night that I had misspelled my son's name on the booking for an upcoming flight. This was after I had already checked in. I contacted Ryanair via twitter who referred me to the reservations centre. I dealt with a very helpful person via live chat this morning who amended the boarding pass, there and then, without charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hi my sons passport has come with a double barrel surname, no hyphen. My surname and his mothers. He only ever uses my surname so that's what I had booked the flights with. Will it matter? We are flying aer lingus

Eg. His name on passport is John Murphy Kelly but the flight booking has just John Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Should make no difference.

That's what I thought but his mother isn't the type to chance things where as I'd just go up and chance my arm. Don't want to ring up and have them make me pay 150e for something that wouldn't be a problem if I said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Hi all,

I booked a flight for my aunt "Eileen" from the UK to Dublin with Ryanair. I contacted her last night for her passport details and she decided to tell me that her name on her passport is actually Ellen, not Eileen.

I contacted Ryanair and spoke with a girl who could not understand why someone would be called Eileen but have Ellen on her passport (me either!!) and said I would have to pay £110 to change the name.

In peoples experience do you think it would be ok to chance it? Especially if her drivers licence, bank cards etc are in the name Eileen?

Never booking flights for anyone again!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

PigeonPie wrote: »
    Hi all,

I booked a flight for my aunt "Eileen" from the UK to Dublin with Ryanair. I contacted her last night for her passport details and she decided to tell me that her name on her passport is actually Ellen, not Eileen.

I contacted Ryanair and spoke with a girl who could not understand why someone would be called Eileen but have Ellen on her passport (me either!!) and said I would have to pay £110 to change the name.

In peoples experience do you think it would be ok to chance it? Especially if her drivers licence, bank cards etc are in the name Eileen?

Never booking flights for anyone again!

TIA
    absolutely chance it, They only glance at the passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There'll be no issue at all. I've had Iceland as my nationality a couple of times

Thanks guys. £110 is a lot to change a mistake on the name. Might advise her to chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Eileen and Ellen are two different names, I definitely wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

January wrote: »
    Eileen and Ellen are two different names, I definitely wouldn't chance it.

the only place a check occurs is at the boarding gate, in the typical harassed ryanair gate queue., the official is primarily validating your picture , in my experience they do little then glance at the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Hubby name is Timothy on his passport, he booked Ryanair flight using Tim, name everyone calls him, had to change it before flight

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

miss misty wrote: »
    Hubby name is Timothy on his passport, he booked Ryanair flight using Tim, name everyone calls him, had to change it before flight

Because he was turned back at the gate or because someone told him he had to? If he didn't risk it, that case counts for nothing in this context. If he phoned Ryanair to ask, well what would you expect them to say?

Nobody is saying that the OP's aunt is guaranteed to get away with it but we're talking about the difference with one single character that is hard to notice when there is a long queue at the gate and the agent at the gate is scanning dozens of passports - she will get through no bother. A lower case L and a low case I look the same, there is no way she will be turned back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

coylemj wrote: »
    Because he was turned back at the gate or because someone told him he had to? If he didn't risk it, that case counts for nothing in this context. If he phoned Ryanair to ask, well what would you expect them to say?

Nobody is saying that the OP's aunt is guaranteed to get away with it but we're talking about the difference with one single character that is hard to notice when there is a long queue at the gate and the agent at the gate is scanning dozens of passports - she will get through no bother. A lower case L and a low case I look the same, there is no way she will be turned back.

Eileen to Ellen in one single character change? Are you having a giraffe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Eileen to Ellen in one single character change? Are you having a giraffe?

Ok, two characters, missed the second 'e'. Happy now? Still barely noticeable. If I didn't notice that difference sitting at my laptop, how is an agent at the gate going to notice it when dozens of people are flashing their passports and boarding cards at him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

I'd say it should be okay as the surname is correct. But it depends on the person at the gate :) I'd chance it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

coylemj wrote: »
    Ok, two characters, missed the second 'e'. Happy now? Still barely noticeable. If I didn't notice that difference sitting at my laptop, how is an agent at the gate going to notice it when dozens of people are flashing their passports and boarding cards at him/her?

I guess some people are a bit more observant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

We flew Ryanair to UK a few years back and at the gate the staff challenged us as the passport number did not match the ticket. It took a bit of nice talking to be let onboard. We were told that if there were any issues at the other end we were on our own as the information we supplied was incorrect.

Also from experience, If they person goes by a different version of a name, in the long run it is worth getting the second name listed on the passport when renewing, it saves a lot of hastle in banks, planes etc etc.

Hope Ellen AKA Eileen enjoys the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

As its two characters try ringing the UK number (cheaper so Mr Google says) and people say its been done for free or a modest charge

As its two characters try ringing the UK number (cheaper so Mr Google says) and people say its been done for free or a modest charge

Thanks so much goldenhoarde and everyone for your advice. I rang back Ryanair this morning and (in my meekest voice possible!) explained that I misspelled my aunt's name on the booking and he changed it for me there and then! Couldn't believe it. Sooo relieved!!! Never booking anything for anyone again lol.

Thanks again! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 echo321

I'm known and have always been known by the middle name on my birth cert and passport etc (my parents decided this for some reason) and out of habit I booked a Ryanair flight with just that middle name and my surname. I doubt it, but might there be any problem as my passport has my first name (which I didn't use for the booking), then the name I used for the booking in the middle and then of course my surname? For example, I booked as, lets say, John Smith when the name on my passport is James John Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

echo321 wrote: »
    I'm known and have always been known by the middle name on my birth cert and passport etc (my parents decided this for some reason) and out of habit I booked a Ryanair flight with just that middle name and my surname. I doubt it, but might there be any problem as my passport has my first name (which I didn't use for the booking), then the name I used for the booking in the middle and then of course my surname? For example, I booked as, lets say, John Smith when the name on my passport is James John Smith.

I would say you could have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

It will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Go on live chat and ask them, no point speculating to us.

Thanks - good to hear someone thinks it will be ok even if someone else thinks I will hve a problem. I see it costs £110 Sterling to change the name so will hve to chance it. I'll look into the suggestion of asking them in live chat (which I didn't know about) although I hope I can do that anonymously as I don't what to have them looking out for me on the day!

Update: I went onto live chat but to do so, you have to give your booking nbr and email address, so much for not giving my identity away! Anyway, the service agent adjusted my name and it's sorted now, apparently without an extra charge as far as I can tell. Perhaps there was no charge because I wasn't asking for a name change as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement