Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1

• 14-06-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

How'd everyone get on?

I left after 30mins, not counting irish in my points, nor do I have any interest to learn it. Seemed handy enough essay, didn't understand the letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

How'd everyone get on?

I left after 30mins, not counting irish in my points, nor do I have any interest to learn it. Seemed handy enough essay, didn't understand the letter.

Yeah same here, me and my mate are now sitting here waiting to watch football :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Haha same. Back in for the Aural which is really annoying:(

Catch the first half of the game tho

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

yeah left as soon as i could but i got everything done so its grand lol
    i dont wanna go back ;'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Yeah I left after an hour - got everything done and checked over though and I'm not counting Irish anyway....

I forgot the word for flowers though... haha only remembered it about two minutes ago but I just rambled on about something else instead.. :) haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Just out, didn't find it too bad. Although I didn't really understand the letter or the story.. Hopefully they'll just give me marks due to my Irish being good :D

Unfortunatly I need a pass in irish for the course I want:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Left early too. ****ed up the sceal! Oh well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What essay topics came up for Higher Level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Higher level topics were about the EU,people in the public eye,and something else I didn't understand.... I did an article on how young people are lazy and unhealthy. Never did an article before,so I hope there's no format.... Unhealthy was a bit ambiguous,so I did 3 paragraphs on them being lazy,and 3 on drugs and alcohol and stuff....

Healium wrote: »
    Higher level topics were about the EU,people in the public eye,and something else I didn't understand.... I did an article on how young people are lazy and unhealthy. Never did an article before,so I hope there's no format.... Unhealthy was a bit ambiguous,so I did 3 paragraphs on them being lazy,and 3 on drugs and alcohol and stuff....

Most newspaper articles that you'd read tend to be similar in structure and style to your typical Aiste anyway, so I'm sure you're perfect with what you've done.

Well done, and thanks for letting me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

ordinary level was piss easy. 2 comprehensions were simple and the letters etc were easy aswell. I managed to do 2 giota leanunachs(1 on famous person other on music), the sceal on the match and the litir for giving your friend a job. Was finished in an hour an home to watch the first half of the japan cameroon match.

Not using Irish so when I say piss easy I mean definately passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ahhh. Made a silly mistake!

I did the one about the people being unhealthy and lazy, but I didnt see it saw "A leanas..."- to agree with it. I disagreed with the title in most, going on about that despite a difficult education system youth still strive and get great results and work hard, spoke about the despite some groups using drugs/drink most people drink in moderation etc

I wonder whats the most they'll give me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

yesno1234 wrote: »
    ordinary level was piss easy. 2 comprehensions were simple and the letters etc were easy aswell. I managed to do 2 giota leanunachs(1 on famous person other on music), the sceal on the match and the litir for giving your friend a job. Was finished in an hour an home to watch the first half of the japan cameroon match.

Not using Irish so when I say piss easy I mean definately passed.

The letter was for giving your friend a job? I thought it was your parents gave you a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

I wrote a page on " place in ireland i prefer" wrote a page on Dundalk wrote about how i spent my holidays there and how i love the people.

Did the letter on getting a new job just basically spoke about how I spend my money bla bla

Taught the 2 comps were alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

What was the aiste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

Yea, the HL titles were okay- I went for 'daoine i mbéal an pobail' and ranted about politicians, criminals and young people!! Good scope there!
    Some of the compehension questions were a bit awkward, twas tough to put your own spin on the answers, but overall twas arrite!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

What exactly is your worry Neon Circles? You were perfectly entitled to disagree with the title so need to worry at all if that's what you did :)

Anyway, the content of your essay is only worth 20%, so even if you wrote something completely irrelevant you could, in theory, still get 80% on your essay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

1st higher comprehension was horrible, 2nd was ok as I like Ted K and knew the gist of it, essay was mediocre, did famous people, got 2.75 pages of terrible grammar, doesn't matter though as I'm not counting Irish.

What exactly is your worry Neon Circles? You were perfectly entitled to disagree with the title so need to worry at all if that's what you did :)

Anyway, the content of your essay is only worth 20%, so even if you wrote something completely irrelevant you could, in theory, still get 80% on your essay

It says "A Leanas" before the title, which apparently means to "agree with"- I thought it meant "the following", but, yeah. I suppose there is SOME relevant material but in whole its not agreeing with the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It says "A Leanas" before the title, which apparently means to "agree with"- I thought it meant "the following", but, yeah. I suppose there is SOME relevant material but in whole its not agreeing with the title.

That does mean the following!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

It was ok... I did the essay "Daoine i mBeal an Pobail" but only wrote a little more than 2 and half pages on it, all on politicians. I thought that was grand until I came out and found out that almost everyone else wrote 3+ pages. Raged a little. Over it now. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Nah theyr both interlinked unfortunately! You have to stick to the title.
    Like today , for "daoine ata i mbeal an phobail" if you just wrote an essay out about climate change , global warming , floods etc - there is no way you could get high marks ( let alone 80 / 80 ) no matter how good your irish was!

If it did work like that in theory you could just learn off any random essay and regurgitate it word for word and get 80 % ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Ahhh. Made a silly mistake!

I did the one about the people being unhealthy and lazy, but I didnt see it saw "A leanas..."- to agree with it. I disagreed with the title in most, going on about that despite a difficult education system youth still strive and get great results and work hard, spoke about the despite some groups using drugs/drink most people drink in moderation etc

I wonder whats the most they'll give me :(

please don't tell me you had to agree with it? :mad:
    I disagreed. :(

zam wrote: »
    That does mean the following!

Thats what I thought- Until a friend say it means agreeing with. BAsically on the debate it says the title "In adhaigh nu i leanas" (For or against)

Thats what I thought- Until a friend say it means agreeing with. BAsically on the debate it says the title "In adhaigh nu i leanas" (For or against)

sadface. :(

As for the paper as a whole, I thought the essays were decent, i'd imagine almost any prepared essay could've been adapted to "daoin I mbéal an phobail".

First comprohension I thought was tricky enough, I'm looking for an A1 but it was quite a high standard, wouldn't have been surprised if people struggled with it. Second comprehension was simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Peter03 wrote: »
    The letter was for giving your friend a job? I thought it was your parents gave you a job?

Yeah I knew well that would catch people out. I was just about to start writing it and noticed that it was a job available in the hotel kitchen for giving an application form for the job to your friend.

Fluent Irish speaker here, 97% in LC first time 'round, I guarantee you the phrase "a leannas" means "the following", it has absolutely nothing to do with agreement in any way.

RELAX :P

Fluent Irish speaker here, 97% in LC first time 'round, I guarantee you the phrase "a leannas" means "the following", it has absolutely nothing to do with agreement in any way.

RELAX :P

THANK YOU :)

"a leanas" means "the following".

It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing at all.

I imagine the instruction was "write a newspaper article on one of the following topics".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fluent Irish speaker here,

Pr!ck:pac:

Advertisement