Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Switched from HL to OL.... LOL so easy (No disrespect to anyone who struggles with Irish. Just my opinion) Was finished in less then an hour, and I did two extra questions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I didn't like it at all, found the comprehensions were tougher than last year and even when I understood 'em, they were difficult to change much. Essay was a bit of a disaster, I went for the alt nuachtáin and rambled on about going to Haiti in the aftermath of the crith talún in the Irish of a third class student...

Needed a B1, but after that and my oral, highly doubt it'll happen. My Irish has actually improved so much this year, I got a B3 last year and honestly feel as if the quality of my Irish has increased 100%, but I don't think that the paper allowed me to showcase that. Ah well. I wonder if paper two will be nice or nasty. Honestly can't wait until this is over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Really good essay - 4 pages on Daoine i mBéal an Phobail, couldn't be happier. Comprehensions weren't so good. The aural was faster than normal I thought, some of the questions were a bit tricky etc etc. Overall pretty happy. Bring on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I did the importance of good news - 3/4 of it was bad news lol. Otherwise okay - WTF IS A CAMINO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Healium wrote: »
    Higher level topics were about the EU,people in the public eye,and something else I didn't understand.... I did an article on how young people are lazy and unhealthy. Never did an article before,so I hope there's no format.... Unhealthy was a bit ambiguous,so I did 3 paragraphs on them being lazy,and 3 on drugs and alcohol and stuff....

third one was 'the importance of good news' i did that, biggest load of BS iv ever written! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

did anyone do the essay people in the public eye? if so did u do famous people? i did politicans!!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

it was grand, did the aiste "tabhacht na dea-nuachta".
    comprehensions were tough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Enid. wrote: »
    It was ok... I did the essay "Daoine i mBeal an Pobail" but only wrote a little more than 2 and half pages on it, all on politicians. I thought that was grand until I came out and found out that almost everyone else wrote 3+ pages. Raged a little. Over it now. :cool:

You did the perfect amount, going over 2+1/2 pages will just lose you marks because you'll make more mistakes.

I did 2 pages and I'm really happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Those comprehensions were awful tough, weren't they? My teacher was so worried about us. 3 of us left in the room and her pacing the corridor outside. 5 years of having her for Irish and I got a pat on my back for my efforts :D De-lighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I thought pass was simple, did 2 giotas (or whatever that was, hadn't done them before), a scéal and a letter. Left after an hour and a bit and enjoyed then sun. Thought the listening was grand aswel. I'd love if Paper 2 was as good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Ahhh. Made a silly mistake!

I did the one about the people being unhealthy and lazy, but I didnt see it saw "A leanas..."- to agree with it. I disagreed with the title in most, going on about that despite a difficult education system youth still strive and get great results and work hard, spoke about the despite some groups using drugs/drink most people drink in moderation etc

I wonder whats the most they'll give me :(

OH DEAR GOD DON'T DO THAT TO ME!!!!

No, "a leanas" means "which follows". You didn't have to agree with the statement. I didn't either and you damn near gave me a heart-attack just there!

*Breathes*.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Did HL, loved the essay titles, did the EU! I had the whole essay learned off. Thought the listening was fairly easy too ;) Now to cram the stupid poetry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

HL..
    the first comprehension was quite hard to understand, but there was only one question i didn't get, it was 2(a)
    my teacher said afterwards it was something about the miracle of the pilgrimage...or something? can't remember what i wrote
    essays were so vague and annoying :/ did the dea-nuacht one and ranted on about all the bad news and then put in "and THAT'S why we need good news!!" at the end of all the paragraphs haaa...
    aural was graaaand, but i was counting on a A1 and i don't really think i did that great to be honest, could've gone alot better! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Anyone think the first comprehension on the higher paper was tricky? I found the second one easier.

The aiste was good had lots of phrases learned off for it, did the mouth of the public one..wrote about unemployment, drugs/alcohol and the government. I got about 3 pages, how many did everyone else get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

bahahhaa that was soo easy! (ol)
    left paper 1 after 30 mins and had everything done and more..i love pass....gonna be so obvious for the corrector that its a protetstant school, only like 10 honours papers!
    the stories some ppl wrote were fantastic! oh the ball came towards me....oh no timpiste!!! XD I LOVE PASS!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

ceol18 wrote: »
    HL..

essays were so vague and annoying :/ did the dea-nuacht one and ranted on about all the bad news and then put in "and THAT'S why we need good news!!" at the end of all the paragraphs haaa...

Did the exact same thing lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Gotta be some reward for spending 14 years in a Gaelscoil Shanotheslayer :P

The trade off is doing the rest of the LC through Irish which is horrific...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

for the giota (i) i just basically copied paragraph 4 on the first comprehension

about the weather in ireland i think ... will this give me the majorty of de marks say about 40 out of the 60 coz i copied it straight from the text

word for word so i dont know what happens when u do that ??

any ideas on what i wud get please ????

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

i raced my friend to see who could finish the paper quicker! :D made it a little more exciting!:D

uhhhh paper 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Blerdiii wrote: »
    left paper 1 after 30 mins and had everything done and more..i love pass....gonna be so obvious for the corrector that its a protetstant school, only like 10 honours papers!
    the stories some ppl wrote were fantastic! oh the ball came towards me....oh no timpiste!!! XD I LOVE PASS!

haha good ole pass everything turns into a timpiste or a fire haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

for the giota (i) i just basically copied paragraph 4 on the first comprehension
    about the weather in ireland i think ... will this give me the majorty of de marks say about 40 out of the 60 coz i copied it straight from the text
    word for word so i dont know what happens when u do that ??
    any ideas on what i wud get please ????

Somehow I doubt it :confused: The examiners would cop on almost immediatley and than its its any of your own work?
    In a way your just wasting the examiners time as it is clearly all perfect since you copied it from the script so they might give you zero...?

It would be the same in english if you copied one of the comprehensions word for word for your composition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

For the HL aiste - daoine ata i mbeal an phobail - i took it literally as people in the mouth of the public so talked about criminals, politicians, students/young people, unemployed people, the catholic church scandal and stuff like that.
    Hope they weren't looking for celebrities!!:confused:

Anyone else notice in the comprehension that they called John F Kennedy Jack? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Did the "daoine i mbéal an phobail" aiste and did a WHOLE essay on politicians - do ye think that that's okay?:pac: I think it is, cause they're always in the news, media, public-eye, etc. Anyone have an opinion on that?

The comprehensions were lovely, the first was a lil' bit tricky though.... And wtf is a "camino"?!:mad: Tape was awful easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Gotta be some reward for spending 14 years in a Gaelscoil Shanotheslayer :P

The trade off is doing the rest of the LC through Irish which is horrific...

I'd actually feel so sorry for you if you're taking business, can't even imagine doing that through Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Did the "daoine i mbéal an phobail" aiste and did a WHOLE essay on politicians - do ye think that that's okay? I think it is, cause they're always in the news, media, public-eye, etc. Anyone have an opinion on that?

The comprehensions were lovely, the first was a lil' bit tricky though.... And wtf is a "camino"?! Tape was awful easy!

Thank god i do Spanish... It means "way". And yeah what you did for the aiste is perfectly correct. Theres no right answer , its like an english composition - its how you interpret the title and what you write! You cant be wrong , just irrelevant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Did the "daoine i mbéal an phobail" aiste and did a WHOLE essay on politicians - do ye think that that's okay?:pac: I think it is, cause they're always in the news, media, public-eye, etc. Anyone have an opinion on that?

The comprehensions were lovely, the first was a lil' bit tricky though.... And wtf is a "camino"?!:mad: Tape was awful easy!

I did that essay too but I was weary of the plural so I talked about like three types of people! I'd say it'd be okay as long as it was thorough.

No idea what a camino was, it was driving me crazy the whole time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

yah did politicians in the public eye...corruption...how they caused recession...education system etc..very nice aiste..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Blerdiii wrote: »

Haha there's only like 10 or 12 honours papers in my school too, and we're a convent school!

Makes no odds at all...

God why can't I quote like a normal person?! I always end up deleting the code...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

PARARORY wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt it :confused: The examiners would cop on almost immediatley and than its its any of your own work?
    In a way your just wasting the examiners time as it is clearly all perfect since you copied it from the script so they might give you zero...?

It would be the same in english if you copied one of the comprehensions word for word for your composition?

i see ur point... my giota for the mock was word perfect .. i wrote another giota tho 2day about sport only done 2 paragraphs about 50 words :(

so if ur right im gussin ill only get about 15 - 20 marks for sports one :( :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Did business through Irish the first time, it was horrible. At least we had an Irish translation of the book though, not like Bio and geograophy :rolleyes:

Advertisement