Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting A1 in french!?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

ok i need an A1 in french and like i am pretty good at the comprehensions and the oral and listening.....just need to get an A in the writing as well....have written loads over the past year and make silly mistakes here and there

exams in 2 days....what can i do to improve my writing!? i have recession, technology and violence, covered and a diary entry! and have good phrases with the subjunctive, "dont", and know most of the tenses!

what else can i do!?!???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

First off, tell me everything you know. Seriously I need a B3. Help me. :|

as for getting an A1 don't make silly mistakes. Go to tge grammar section of tge book for your class. It should have a list of obvious errors or things to avoid and basic rules. Learn em... Like for example after beaucoup you always say de. It's a rule.

Look through all tge written work you have ever done and see your mistakes. Recognise them. Do not repeat them on Wednesday.

Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Accuracy. Using the correct tenses and making sure phrases such as "beaucoup de" are correct in context. Make sure your plurals/masc/fem agree with each other and you don't write things like "je suis un ingenieur" when describing what you are or are going to be. (je suis ingenieur).Accuracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

thanks...well like the best way i found to improve your french listening was watching dvds of like kids movies like lion king in french but with english subtitles!

the comprehension....just do comprehensions and maybe keep a dictionary by your side looking up a few words...just helps your vocab!

im really nervous about the 2 reactions tho! i know accuracy is SOO important....teacher tells me all the time....but are there any ESSENTIAL phrases/grammar things needed for an A1? plus any other hints for topics this year!?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I have no clue. Just stay on you game I guess, and recheck everything at tge end so you know you havnt ****ed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I would adore an A1 in French too...I've gotten good marks on most things all year, but since History is on the same day as French I have to spend most of my time on History the night before...I'm terrified! If there was any exact plan for an A1 I'd be all over it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hey ya I'm going for an A1 too in French. Want it and need it sooooo bad!:mad: But I mainly throw in several subjunctive sentences in every opinion/reaction/diary question I do, looks extremely professional and impressive.

Tbh I can't give you much advice, because I've neglected French over the past week for Irish and English.... I really need to do **** loads on the Tuesday evening. But ya opinions - accuracy, tenses, subj, adjectives. Best of luck, hope you(we) get it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I reallyyyy want an A1 too!
    One thing my teacher keeps telling me with regards to written work is don't overuse clichés, two will do put in the right places. Also, be careful not to repeat certain phrases (use un tas de/pas mal de instead of beaucoup de through the whole thing). Thirdly, you will get more written and better points if you look at different points of view (certains disent que/autres disent que). Accuracy is, of course, very important, but there is little you can do at this stage to improve. Just PROOF READ before handing up your paper.

Hope that's helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Do you guys actually need it for something or just want it really badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Want it really bad, being working my fúcking ass off at it for a year even went to France for a month in transition year.... But tbh say I'll only get a A2 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

100 points wouldn't go astray... 90 is 10 less so could make a difference if your looking for big points...

i'm looking for a D3 in honours so i'll not have that problem.. anyone want to help me;) i don't even need it for college - it'll just look better than pass on a CV maybe in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

I always remember aul Serge in the institute saying that to get an A1, you have to stand out. Doing this involves throwing in the more difficult tenses like the subjunctive and others that I can't remember anymore, and also using some nice phrases in letters and the opinion pieces. All this combined with near perfect grammar etc. and you'll be well on your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Want it really bad, being working my fúcking ass off at it for a year even went to France for a month in transition year.... But tbh say I'll only get a A2 :confused:

Yeah I went to France but guiltily returned without learning all that much for the written!

Ah well only need a Pass... I think

yeah looking for an A1 since i only got an A2 in maths today! :( need around 560 for my course....

yeah i know there aint much i can do now....but like i was talking to a few people today and it seems that alcohol/economy/poverty are the "predictions" for this year and like you know the way you cant study every topic in french so was just looking for any other topics!?

plus my teacher was said regarding the length that the long one (90 words) should be at most 100 words and the 75 words should be around 85 max but i heard somewhere else that you should write like over 100 words for all of them!
    how much is expected for an A!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

well im doing spanish but im like you, my teacher made us write letters/.opinions every single night, so im pretty much set :D

im going to learn phrases such as "it costs an arm and a leg" that can be used in the majority of opinion peices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

johndoe91 wrote: »
    yeah looking for an A1 since i only got an A2 in maths today! :( need around 560 for my course....

yeah i know there aint much i can do now....but like i was talking to a few people today and it seems that alcohol/economy/poverty are the "predictions" for this year and like you know the way you cant study every topic in french so was just looking for any other topics!?

plus my teacher was said regarding the length that the long one (90 words) should be at most 100 words and the 75 words should be around 85 max but i heard somewhere else that you should write like over 100 words for all of them!
    how much is expected for an A!?

Our teacher is pretty good and she say you dont have to go over 90 or 75 you are just more likely to make a mistake. if what you have at 90 words is perfect you will get full marks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

is it a good idea when your finished to maybe just count your words out and write something like 78 mots... just so if it looks short the examiner will see oh wait it is long enough...

or will this irk the examiner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Know what mistakes to look for when you're proof reading, like if u always conjugate a certain verb wrong or something look at it and make sure it's right, knowing what your usual mistakes are makes it easier to proof read cos you know what you're looking for. I'm looking for an A1 too, went to France for all of TY so there would be a lot of disappointed people (incl me) if i didn't get one! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Need it for points, and hoping to continue with it in college. Really if I don't get it I will be seriously disappointed, it's my best subject and I got an A1 in the mock

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kellyr

Try to use a couple of different tenses and try to integrate your ideas, looking at them from both sides- e.g positive and negative use the phrases like - on the other hand etc. learn off a few phrases that can fit in almost anywhere very general ones. Try not to exceed the expected number of words too much, you're more likely to make a mistake if you write too much. In the aural- listen first and try and pick up as much as you can before beginning to write. Another thing- the letter option can be difficult enough do, unless you've had a good bit of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    is it a good idea when your finished to maybe just count your words out and write something like 78 mots... just so if it looks short the examiner will see oh wait it is long enough...

or will this irk the examiner...

yeah i suppose it will kinda seem as though your more focused on the number of words then the piece of work.....

does this sentence make sense......

....le milieu familial, la television, les influences ou meme le systeme y sont peut-etre pour quelque chose.

cant make out what the bold actually means exactly!?

Advertisement