Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs Paraguay - 7.30pm RTE 2 and BBC HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Totally against the run of play that. Italy looked good for the first 20 mins, then they let Paraguay get in to it a little bit. Gilardino is not getting the right service and Iaquinta has made a number of wrong decisions. Need to get Di Natale on instead of him. De Rossi has been quality, along with Cannavaro. Montolivo has been too quiet.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Some teams do it, needless to say it would've prevented a goal there.

For the free kick there? Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Some teams do it, needless to say it would've prevented a goal there.

Teams rarely put players on the posts for free kicks. They move up before the ball is kicked to try and catch the opposition offside 99% of the time. You're thinking of corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

De Rossi needs to push up the field a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I agree that when it's a DFK, very rarely players would be on posts. Really don't know why i said it :P

I'm just being stupid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

For the free kick there? Never.

Totally agree. What keep every attacker onside ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Archimedes wrote: »
    Teams rarely put players on the posts for free kicks. They move up before the ball is kicked to try and catch the opposition offside 99% of the time. You're thinking of corners.

Jesus, don't let Andy gray hear you or he will be off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

More I see of Italy the more I think Ireland really had chance to win that group and prob should have in qualifying.

Bit more belief and think we would have.

De Rossi needs to push up the field a bit more

No he doesn't, that's not his job. Marchisio and Montolivio are there to provide the strikers, De Rossi's job is to provide the link between the defence and those two players, not to mention to break up Paraguayan attacks. Positionally, he's been sound.

Nah, we weren't good enough to qualify. Italy had that bit of class to them to see them through. I think they've looked good in the opening 20 mins here, passing has been nice and slick. Only problem is lack of attempts.

• Advertisement

Another problem is Montolivo not doing quite enough. Pepe has looked good at times, even if he was a bit sleepy for moments.

No he doesn't, that's not his job. Marchisio and Montolivio are there to provide the strikers, De Rossi's job is to provide the link between the defence and those two players, not to mention to break up Paraguayan attacks. Positionally, he's been sound.

Yeah hes had a very good first half, actually your spot on maybe i should have said montolivio isnt providing enough as an attacking midfielder, something missing there for the strikers to get chances, when de rossi decided to motor up the field italy looked dangerous

Buffon coming off. Some sort of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Glad I don't have him in my FF team.

Another problem is Montolivo not doing quite enough. Pepe has looked good at times, even if he was a bit sleepy for moments.

Bring Pirlo on?

What happened to Buffon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

souness does nothing but whinge about italian football.

Paraguay are a good side. I think they might win.

but Im a girl. what do I know about football :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Buffon off? thats a big blow for Italy

SarahBM wrote: »
    souness does nothing but whinge about italian football.

Paraguay are a good side. I think they might win.

but Im a girl. what do I know about football :eek: :D

Probably more than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Buffon coming off. Some sort of injury.

he just didn't fancy it i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Buffon gone, now they are down to 2 subs.

Glad I don't have him in my FF team.

Exactly what i was thinking, im sure a good few people have picked him whats that just 2 points for him?

Yeah hes had a very good first half, actually your spot on maybe i should have said montolivio isnt providing enough as an attacking midfielder, something missing there for the strikers to get chances

From the looks of things, Marchisio and Montolivio seem to be mixed up. Marchisio seems to be the one that's more advanced up the pitch, whether that's Lippi's instructions or not is another thing, but I would much rather have Montolivio ahead of Marchisio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

More I see of Italy the more I think Ireland really had chance to win that group and prob should have in qualifying.

Agree with you there, it's fustrating watching the teams we have seen so far knowing we would have had a good chance of turning them over.

From the looks of things, Marchisio and Montolivio seem to be mixed up. Marchisio seems to be the one that's more advanced up the pitch, whether that's Lippi's instructions or not is another thing, but I would much rather have Montolivio ahead of Marchisio.

Well both of them need to show for the ball and make a lot more good runs if italy are to score, though they always have their threat at set pieces.

Agree with you there, it's fustrating watching the teams we have seen so far knowing we would have had a good chance of turning them over.

Sshh dont make me start thinking of it again:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Forget that, the more I watch of this world cup the more I think we might have had a chance of getting to the final. Real lack of quality so far, Germany and Argentina aside.

Iaquinta should be causing those CBs some more problems, I guess without Pirlo he isn't getting the service. Come on Marchisio!

Buffon was having lower back/leg issues. Something to do with his sciatic nerve apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

When is Pirlo due back? Italy miss him.

When is Pirlo due back? Italy miss him.

Was forecasted to miss the opening two games, but he may be rushed back after tonight's display.

Pirlo is on the subs.

• Advertisement

Criscito needs to come off, he's offering no help down the left side. Move Zambrotta to the left and bring on Maggio imo.

Camoranesi on for Marchisio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Pepe is good but Italy lack some real pace.
    Cameronassie on and gets a good shot on target! :eek:
    this may get good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Di Natale on, Pepe to RW, Di Natale LW and Mauro into the number 10 position and Italy might have a chance.

Rossi not on the bench, was he not picked in the WC squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

1-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

aaagh paraguay... you were doing so well

Rossi not on the bench, was he not picked in the WC squad?

Nope :(

Nick Hogan scores!

Goooalll, only one man on the post ;)

Good man De Rossi you legend a member of my FF team:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Awful goalkeeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Escape from Alcaraz.

/facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Oh keeper that was horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The escape from Alcaraz... Awful stuff George

Nope :(

Nick Hogan scores!

That baffles me a bit, i mean he is always a big threat to defenders even to have him on the bench come on if italy are in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Morzadec wrote: »
    The escape from Alcaraz... Awful stuff George

So good he used it twice. Delighted with himself.

Defender was shocking for that goal; so focused on the player didn't even notice the ball coming. If you can't keep your eye on the ball and the player you shouldnt be playing at that level.

That baffles me a bit, i mean he is always a big threat to defenders even to have him on the bench come on if italy are in trouble

Especially after a good season, and being their best player at the Olympics 2 years ago. What's more baffling is what Di Natale has to do to get a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The only person he deserves to be there ahead of is Iaquinta and there was no way Lippi was gonna drop his pet.

Fact is Qua and Di Natale deserve their spots.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The only person he deserves to be there ahead of is Iaquinta and there was no way Lippi was gonna drop his pet.

Fact is Qua and Di Natale deserve their spots.

I'll be honest and say i dont know enough about Qua and Di Natales season to say whether or not rossi should be there but ive alwayst rossi is a brilliant little forward and very dangerous from what ive seen of him on the other hand ive seen Iaquinta a few times now and hes been dissapointing

• Advertisement

Pepe is quite greedy.

Advertisement